Crystal Films - Wash and Reuse?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So I have a set of crystal films protectors and I recently went from the Seidio slim rubberized case to the Seidio Innocase. Love the Innocase by the way. When I took the rubberized case off the iPhone I noticed it had left a permanent mark on the crystal film protector across the top of the screen. I scrubbed and scrubbed and could not get it off. I noticed on the Crystal Film package that it says you can wash and reuse. So I gave it a shot. I ran it under warm water with some dish soap and then rinsed it off and it looks good. The problem is, I cant figure out how to dry it without leaving lint all over the magnetic side of the protector. I tried letting it air out and it left water spots all over it. I tried wiping it off with a lint free cloth, but I guess nothing is truly lint free.
I have the second film as well, but more damn lint got under it when I was putting it on. You wouldn't even notice it, the lint is tiny, but it bugs the hell outta me!
So, any thoughts on how to get these films completely lint free?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Try rinsing with rubbing alcohol. It evaporates really quick, haven't tried it personally but it's worth a shot. I recently made the same switch with cases, but threw mine away, wanna get some anti-glares. Apple store is over an hour away.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Maybe wash it and use a hair dryer on low heat to dry it off?
I was thinking about that but was a little scared to apply any heat to the protector. I might give that a try.

Try rinsing with rubbing alcohol. It evaporates really quick, haven't tried it personally but it's worth a shot. I recently made the same switch with cases, but threw mine away, wanna get some anti-glares. Apple store is over an hour away.
Thats not a bad idea at all. Ill give that a try tonight.
I was thinking about going to the Apple store by me to get new films also. I heard they have an anti-fingerprint one now.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I heard they have an anti-fingerprint one now.
I believe these ^^^^ are actually the anti-glare films I mentioned. I've read on here that those anti-glares are really good at hiding your paw prints.

Oh yeah, do all your work with these films in a bathroom after running a hot shower for a couple minutes. All the humidity kills any dust or lint, make the job come out flawless!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I was thinking about going to the Apple store by me to get new films also. I heard they have an anti-fingerprint one now.
If the lint isn't too bad,you can use tape to remove it.
I use the anit-glare from Apple and they are great. No more fingerprints.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I'm glad u said something. The Apple guys wouldve looked at me like I'm crazy if I asked for anti-fingerprint ones.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Im having the same problem. I end up with lots of fibres and dust under the film! Its driving me mad! Please help!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Im having the same problem. I end up with lots of fibres and dust under the film! Its driving me mad! Please help!
Like I said earlier, you can use tape and dabb at the lint,ect. I have done this and it works. Now if you have a bunch it may not work as well.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Oh yeah, do all your work with these films in a bathroom after running a hot shower for a couple minutes. All the humidity kills any dust or lint, make the job come out flawless!
I'm gonna try this when I get the new anti-glare screens. Good idea.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Ok, so I went to get the Anti-Glare films today at lunch and one of the Apple guys were nice enough to offer to intsall it for me. Nice gesture, but there is lint under it. I got back to work and took a piece of scotch tape like someone else recommended and I patted down the film to get the lint off and I have to say, it worked pretty well.
As for the Anti-Glare, it really should be called Anti-Finger prints. It works like a charm at keep the prints away, however, Im not 100% sure I like how it makes the screen look a little less clear. The Crystal Film I was using before, you couldnt even tell anything was on the phone, this one is a little more noticeable, but so far I like it.

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
i just upgraded from the regular crystal film, to the Anti-Glare, and I have to say, I LOVE the Anti-Glare so much better. Just the fact I don't need to wipe the screen off all the time is great. It does matt the screen, and you can see it, and it creates a slight texture, almost like the track pad on a Macbook, but to me, it's actually easier to use now.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, after using it for a while I would have to agree with you NP, it does make the phone a little easier to use. Either that or it makes my finger a little less sticky, thereforee making the phone seem smoother. Does that make sense?
Im still not sure I like how it effects the resolution of the iPhone, but I love not having to wipe it off over and over, so I guess the good with the bad, right?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I dunno, maybe I'm just perfectionist, but I think the proper cleaning and reapplying of those screens is simply not possible without getting lint. I tried alcohol, hair dryer, scotch tape, everything.... I always end up throwing it out and starting new.

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
I dunno, maybe I'm just perfectionist, but I think the proper cleaning and reapplying of those screens is simply not possible without getting lint. I tried alcohol, hair dryer, scotch tape, everything.... I always end up throwing it out and starting new.
Agreed. This is one good reason to buy the cheap ones. You can find them all over the Internet. They work just as well, and you end up paying about $4.00 for sometimes as many as three to four screen protectors.

This way, when it's time to change the protector, it doesn't hurt nearly as much.

bry279

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
I had read somewhere...

when you remove /wash / the cover
its best to do this in the bathroom
after a hot shower. Something about the steam
keeping the lint /hairs etc out of the air
so that nothing gets under the film when you reapply it.

haven't tried yet.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I had read somewhere...

when you remove /wash / the cover
its best to do this in the bathroom
after a hot shower. Something about the steam
keeping the lint /hairs etc out of the air
so that nothing gets under the film when you reapply it.

haven't tried yet.
Yeh that does help but nothing can completely stop the lint.