Crystal vs. Anti-glare cover, my take...

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Ok, I've had the crystal cover on my v1 and both now on my 3G. I know that this has been talked about, but I'm going to give my pros/cons on both and what I ended up with and why.

Crystal
Pros:
clear
covers entire screen
lets minor details of items on screen through

Cons:
smudges and finger prints
can see dust accidentally trapped during application

Anti-glare
Pros:
doesn't show smudges and finger prints as much (smudges are still there, just not as noticeable)
doesn't show dust accidentally trapped during application
nice feel to it, like a track pad on a laptop

Cons:
NOT CLEAR! makes any white screen look horribly grainy
does not cover entire screen like the clear does (and yes, both were 3G covers)
loses a lot of minor details of items that I did not even realize were there.
almost washes out in direct sunlight

After having both, I chose to stay with the crystal cover for one thing, the clarity. I use my phone a lot at night and just could not stand the multi-colored grainyness of the anti-glare screen. I really miss the nice feel of the anti-glare, but ever time I look at my phone now and it doesn't feel like I'm not wearing my glasses as I look at it, it makes it worth it to have the crystal.

Now, I'm not posting this to start a us vs. them thing, or trying to flame one product over another, but as to hopefully help those on the fence. If you have horribly greasy fingers or face and don't have time to clean the screen all the time, by all means, go with the anti-glare.... but if clarity along with protection is your main concern, the crystal is a no brainer.

Hope this helps.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Great post. You've stated my experiences with and opinions on the subject... nearly word for word.

I would just add one more con to the anti-glare screen: Earrings can make a noisy scratching sound while talking on the phone. Could be more annoying to some than to others. It bugged the crap outta me.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I really enjoyed this post. I ended up with the crystal when I couldn't find the anti-glare anywhere. I like the way the colors "pop" with the crystal but a note to females everywhere (and maybe some males) wearing makeup is a pain with the crystal.

Everytime i answer/talk on the phone and it's hot outside, my makeup gets all over it. I actually carry my little dust rag around with me to clean the screen after calls. That is the one part of the crystal cover that really annoys me. Another thing to consider.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
excellent post. I agree with everything you say. I love my crystal, if I ever get any smudges I just wipe it clean with my cloth.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Anti-Glare All The Way.........:cool:

Agreed! Have had both, and would rather have a naked screen than the Crystal again. I think the smudge-proofedness of the Anti-glare outweighs the loss of any clarity. How clear is the screen when it is covered in paw prints and face grease anyway?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Agreed! Have had both, and would rather have a naked screen than the Crystal again. I think the smudge-proofedness of the Anti-glare outweighs the loss of any clarity. How clear is the screen when it is covered in paw prints and face grease anyway?
Not that bad, honestly. When the phone is on, I see nothing. When it's off, it's in my pocket. So, for me, I enjoy the crystal. I myself would not want a grainy screen, so its a win-win for me.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Crystal vote here.
Had it for the last year on my V1. On the 3G, I got screen protectors at the AT&T store this time, and they were the anti-glare. Was set to just deal with it, as I could see the anti-smudge benefit. But these particular ones started peeling off-curling up. Never had that happen before with any screen protector. Got new ones & back to crystal. Night & day difference. and made me realize that here & there screen wipes are no big price for a pretty screen!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've used both as well and, although they both have pros and cons, Crystal Film also gets my vote.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Great post. Exactly how I feel. I've had both. The AG makes me feel like I'm using a Treo with dull colors and poor resolution. Crystal all the way. :)

iLobster

Aug 16, 2008
After having tried both, I went with Crystal as well. Actually, I went with a different brand that actually fit the 3G iPhone perfectly.

I found the anti-glare graininess too disturbing, and the benefit of no smears did not outweigh the sensation that I was looking at an early 90's 14" CRT office monitor.

It's a real shame they couldn't have found a way to keep the texture yet preserve screen clarity. I don't think it's impossible, as my current computer monitor (Dell 2405fpw) has a matte finish and a similar feel to the anti-glare protector yet does not have any sort of degradation in image quality.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
+1 for Anti-glare
...i prefer the better tactile sensation

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
BTW, they do make anti-glare screen protectors that cover the ENTIRE front of the iPhone (check your local Best Buy). They're made by dLo. Great anti-glares, too.

However, after using those for a while, I picked up a pack of the Rocketfish screen protectors at Best Buy (crystal clear, just like the Crystal Films), and at $14.99 for 4 screen protectors, it was a much better deal than the Crystal Films!

Nice post though. Just letting everyone know they make anti-glare that cover the entire front...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I think the zagg is the way to go, I love the feel, fingerprints are not a huge issue with them plus although there is some glare its not near what it is on the crystal screens.