Curious about text message behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Today I noticed what to me is unexplained behavior of text messaging. I normally keep the Cellular Data setting on my iPhone set to OFF (since I'm on the cheapest data plan and I want to minimize unnecessary cell data communication). Last night, I sent text messages out, both iMessage and SMS. I received some back. Earlier today, I set the Cellular Data setting to on briefly. When I switched it on, about two or three text messages quickly poured in. So, is it necessary to keep Cellular Data set to on in order to receive texts from certain users on certain providers, or perhaps even on the same provider as you in certain situations?

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

There is another discussion about this in a thread about the differences some people were seeing between what Verizon said they used and what the phone said.
    MMS messages are data- but should not count against your data plan. But if you turn Cellular data off, I don't think you can receive them because you're blocking cell data. MMS have to pass through a server for compression, etc.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you, Hawk! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the bill as well. :)

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.