Curious, How many here never used their College Degree?

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Myself I got my degree in Computer Repair/Networking, wanted to add Programming but in 99 they dropped the course where I went claiming Programming would be obsolete after they fix the Y2K bug lol. Some stupid community college board decided that.
Anyway teachers claimed we could make as much as 35000 a year but I got a job in sales making over 40000 a year and in 4 years worked up to Management scoring over 60000 a year not including bonuses and a 2wk paid vacation.
Then I crashed my pride and joy a 05 Yamaha V-Star Custom blue with ghost flames..... It was 5 months old 4,500 miles when totaled.
I was young and dumb you know how it goes.

So who else Wasted 2to4 years on a degree only to get a great job in a different field they still could of got without any college at all.

And no I'm dissin College I think it's a great experience just saying young adults think before you choose your classes, research what it pays, go visit a job site and see how you like the real work with the years of dirt and crazy things people do to stuff you might be handling. A degree in Sales could of got me to Managment in a year rather than 4.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I know a whole lot of people who work in fields much different than their degrees. That is why I am trying to choose the easiest major there is because I am pretty sure I can work any where that doesn't require special skills as in being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. and even companies that specialize in that always have other departments I can work at.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I have a Computer Science degree and I have been a software engineer for years!

I've always like the saying, "If you like the job that you are doing, you'll never have to work a day in your life!"

Sent from my iPad 3

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
I have a Computer Science degree and I have been a software engineer for years!

I've always like the saying, "If you like the job that you are doing, you'll never have to work a day in your life!"

Sent from my iPad 3
I agree with that. I loved sales and found out real quick how to very likable with customers so they requested my return services. I like computers sure but running wires and connecting 10 to 100 computers on a network in a Office Building or diagnosing and repairing a computer or getting one that someone spilled coke all over and cleans the outside acting like they don't know what happened for a company who pays me a weekly salary that they make on one call is not my idea of fun. I really wanted programming classes so I could learn to write games and work for Square Enix or Namco lol.... But my dad wanted me to be the first in the family to ever complete college.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

Jan 22, 2011
MO
Interesting thread!

I've recently retuned to college since dropping out 10 years ago, and in a way, I'm glad I didn't finish back then because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. It may have set me down a path I didn't know I hated until much later.

...'course, that's what I'm telling myself to keep me from feeling badly about dropping out in the first place, lol.

:)

Mar 30, 2012
My dad got his Bachelors degree in journalism and he will admit he has never used or applied anything from his degree into any of his past/current jobs as a math/science teacher and principal. He always tells me "just get the paper...that's what gets you in". I'm a BSIT student and even though I'm still in college (started out as nursing changed majors), I think my career will be in a mix between IT and gaming :D Anybody can get a job that has nothing to do with their degree lol. You just need to have initiative and determination.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I absolutely agree with you and your Dad, windrider. There are certain fields that require a degree, like medicine or engineering, but then again even engineering companies will have departments where people with other degrees can work. :D

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I have a Bachelors in History with minor in Government.............I have my Masters in Education Administration, however I am a Network Engineer..............long story but I love what I do..............

Mar 30, 2012
history major and you're in network engineering? LOL wow nice one. One of the DJs on the radio show I listen to is an AB History graduate. It's amazing what jobs you end up getting after graduating :p I think the paper is what you need. The rest of what you need will either come from experience or certification...or both.