Curious Question About Other 8gb phones

SillyMe

Jun 28, 2007
Lately I've been reading how the iPhone is not that great or it's too expensive, yada yada yada. My question is this, how many 8gb phones are there on the market today and at what price are they?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Lately I've been reading how the iPhone is not that great or it's too expensive, yada yada yada. My question is this, how many 8gb phones are there on the market today and at what price are they?
8GB iPhones are $599. There is no official statement regarding the number of 8gb iPhones, but Apple last week informed the media that they had sold 270,000 iPhones within the first 30 hours of sales.

SillyMe

Jun 28, 2007
I should have asked how many other companies ( Samsung, Nokia, Palm ) make an 8gb phone and how much do they cost?

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
8GB iPhones are $599. There is no official statement regarding the number of 8gb iPhones, but Apple last week informed the media that they had sold 270,000 iPhones within the first 30 hours of sales.

They were projected to sell half a million on release day. The 270 number was generally seen as dissapointing and Apple's stock took a minor poop because of it. They did managed to win back that loss by posting profits.

There are murmurs that sales of the iPhone have dropped significantly since the release, leaving some to wonder if the iPhone is simply too 'gimicky' for regular folk. Given the limited functionality of the iPhone at the moment, I am inclined to agree. True smart phone effianatos are passing on the iPhone in favor of universal functionality handsets like the Treo 750 and the Symbian powered Nokia smartphones.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I should have asked how many other companies ( Samsung, Nokia, Palm ) make an 8gb phone and how much do they cost?

8 gb flash cards are available for 69 bucks on amazon. The treo 750 with WM6 has the drivers for these. So, to answer your question;

299 for a Treo 750
69 for 8 gb sd card

369 + tax.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
They were projected to sell half a million on release day. The 270 number was generally seen as dissapointing and Apple's stock took a minor poop because of it. They did managed to win back that loss by posting profits.

There are murmurs that sales of the iPhone have dropped significantly since the release, leaving some to wonder if the iPhone is simply too 'gimicky' for regular folk. Given the limited functionality of the iPhone at the moment, I am inclined to agree. True smart phone effianatos are passing on the iPhone in favor of universal functionality handsets like the Treo 750 and the Symbian powered Nokia smartphones.
Apple has only stated a goal of 10 million units sold by the end of 2008. That 500K number you are quoting came from uninformed analysts and best guesses.

What is a "universal functionality" handset? I have used Nokia's smartphones before, in particular the N95. And although it has more advanced features on paper, I am still drawn back to the iPhone for simplicity for my day to day use.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Apple has only stated a goal of 10 million units sold by the end of 2008. That 500K number you are quoting came from uninformed analysts and best guesses.

What is a "universal functionality" handset?
Although there is no sanctioned 'standard' feature set, there are a few features that I think many die-hard smart phone users would agree are key:

- Fully transitive Email functionality
- Thrird party application support
- SD memory support
- full qwerty keyboard
- Internet connectivity
- speaker phone
- multiband support

I'm working while typing, so I probaby missed a few.

I would go on to say that providing even a semi-open system is a key requirement for a successful smart phone.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com

They were actually projected to sell 500,000 by the end of the first weekend - we only have sales data for the first day and a half (Fri night through Saturday).

So 270,000 in 30 hours is right on track for 500,000 by the end of Sunday.

'Murmurs' of sales and manufacturing numbers are just rumors.

Apples stated intent is still 1,000,000 iPhones by end of Q4 (Sept) - and they re-iterated that in their stock address last week - in full knowledge of what the actual sales numbers look like.

Of course, if anyone here has any better information than Apple's CFO - and would like to direct investors accordingly - I'm sure we're all interested in the inside scoop.

Apple are known for deliberately misleading the city investors, and failing to hit their forecasts..... NOT!

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Although there is no sanctioned 'standard' feature set, there are a few features that I think many die-hard smart phone users would agree.

- Fully transitive Email functionality
- Thrird party application support
- SD memory support
- full qwerty keyboard
- Internet connectivity
- speaker phone
- multiband support

I'm working while typing, so I probaby missed a few.

I would go on to say that providing even a semi-open system is a key requirement for a successful smart phone.
I agree with your list, except the SD requirement. There really has never been a phone that has had 8gb worth of storage. Only now are the 8gb cards coming down to a reasonable price. I think that is plenty of storage for media, not in office documents. You must consider that the iPhone is a consumer device and not a businesss device.

You also have to think that Apple is just using the same strategy as with their regular iPods. Keep everything flowing through iTunes. Some people love it, some people hate it.

Isn't Nokia supposed to be releasing an 8gb N95? I thought I read that on Hofo a while back. It was entirely black except the keypad.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
My question is this, how many 8gb phones are there on the market today and at what price are they?
Why stop at 8GB? Many other devices have "infinite" storage. I.e. you can swap in/out as many SD cards as you want ;)

When I go on a vacation, I don't want to take my laptop to sync new videos. And I sure don't want to be stuck with the same three or four movies.

So for my WM phone and PMPs, I usually take multiple memory cards with extra movies and TV shows. I have cards with my own favorites, my wife's and my daughter's (she has Dora shows, Barbie movies, etc).