Current AT&T user question.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
So I used to have an iPhone but do not anymore. I still have my AT&T sim card in another phone. So what will happen when I go to get a 3g iPhone. Do I have to pay more than the price of the iPhone I'm getting or what. This is really confusing. Anyone know?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
There isn't an exact answer yet. Anyone who is "eligible" will get the low iPhone prices. We don't know what that means exactly. Personally, I think they're going to treat it like they do with all of their other phones. You're eligible for an upgrade 18 months after you start your contract. They're grandfathering anyone who already has an iPhone.

Joe

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I believe both Apple and AT&T have already said that current iPhone/AT&T customers can buy the iPhone for $199/299 and extend their contract for an additional 24 months.

This would also fall in line with Jobs' keynote remark: "No one will pay more than $199".

TLP31

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
There isn't an exact answer yet. Anyone who is "eligible" will get the low iPhone prices. We don't know what that means exactly. Personally, I think they're going to treat it like they do with all of their other phones. You're eligible for an upgrade 18 months after you start your contract. They're grandfathering anyone who already has an iPhone.

Joe
By "grandfathering", do I read that to say that my current rates for my iPhone will NOT change?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
By "grandfathering", do I read that to say that my current rates for my iPhone will NOT change?
Don't get too excited yet. This is still all rumor. I also read that an ATT exec. said this was not true. So who knows?

TLP31

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the reply. As happened last year, I expect the full details of plan pricing to happen the OF the release. There's just so much confusing info, that my head is spinning!

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Since I never used EDGE on the the V1 iPhone, I simply cancelled my data plan after using it for 3 months, and the AT&T surprisingly let me do that, but does anyone "think" I might be able to get the 3G iPhone without the data plan? or at least get it and cancel the data plan after 2-3 months?..

one quick question... when people on ebay buy unlocked iPhones, and i know they just slide in their AT&T sim card and it'll work, so does that mean they didn't have to sign up for the $20 data plan? right?

thanks to anyone who can help.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Since I never used EDGE on the the V1 iPhone, I simply cancelled my data plan after using it for 3 months, and the AT&T surprisingly let me do that, but does anyone "think" I might be able to get the 3G iPhone without the data plan? or at least get it and cancel the data plan after 2-3 months?..

one quick question... when people on ebay buy unlocked iPhones, and i know they just slide in their AT&T sim card and it'll work, so does that mean they didn't have to sign up for the $20 data plan? right?

thanks to anyone who can help.
You won't be able to get it without the data plan. As to weather you can cancel later, I have no idea. Didn't know you could do that with the V1 phone.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
So I used to have an iPhone but do not anymore. I still have my AT&T sim card in another phone. So what will happen when I go to get a 3g iPhone. Do I have to pay more than the price of the iPhone I'm getting or what. This is really confusing. Anyone know?
Check back July 11.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If you don't currently have an iPhone data plan on your account, eligibility for an upgrade will be determined by how many months are left on your current AT&T contract. You can go to AT&T.com and check your eligibility or even simpler just call AT&T customer service.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
If you don't currently have an iPhone data plan on your account, eligibility for an upgrade will be determined by how many months are left on your current AT&T contract. You can go to AT&T.com and check your eligibility or even simpler just call AT&T customer service.
COLS!
Just trying to catch up to ya and say hey. I remember ya from last years launch. Note my avatar. remember? y/n?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Youl will not get 3G unless you pay for the plan. There are ways around it, but if AT&T detects it your data plan is upgraded.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What does it matter if you're eligible for an upgrade or not? Everyone gets the same price. Or is it about lengthening the AT&T contract?

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Speaking of saving money. Just FYI be warned also having the iPhone deletes all account discounts (Not permanently just as loong as you have the phone) I was saving over 40$ a month for combined billing and businesss discount and it was all pulled off my account until I get rid of the phone.