Currently downloading iOS 8.2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iPutz, Mar 9, 2015.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

iOS 8.2 is available. I just started downloading the 8.2 update for installation.

#1 iPutz, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ok, so I have no interest in the Watch. I only use the Health app to keep my medical info. So what bugs did this update fix? What do I get for the 331 mb if space I give up?

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple Watch app cannot be deleted, and, interestingly, does not show up in the list of apps at Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage. I'm sure it's a small app, but crap, why take away my right to know its size?

IMG_1543.PNG

#3 Rafagon, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Why do you say 331 MB… was that the size of your OTA update? That does not necessarily mean you're giving up all that space. Remember that some of the new code will be patched over the old code. Then again, if you calculated based on the change of free space as I did below, you're one step ahead of me.

I did a full update via iTunes. Before the update, I had 28.41 GB free.

before.png

After the update, I have 28.69 GB free.

final, after restarting iTunes.png

The total footprint of iOS actually went down for me.

#4 Rafagon, Mar 9, 2015
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Anyone else having this issue after the update?

Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > Music freezes the Settings app for about 20 seconds. Then, the app full-on crashes and you're returned back to the home screen.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

From start to finish only took about 17 minutes. Like Rafagon, my total space used went very slightly down, by about 250 MB. Also tried to duplicate Rafagon's issue and am not finding a problem on my end. Good luck

#6 iPutz, Mar 9, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

No issues with download or function of iPh6+. Wonder why ;) the iWatch App cannot be deleted...Ha

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Launch the Watch app, tap on "App Store", and you learn that the Apple Watch can be pre-ordered on:

"@@Month@@ @@Day@@"

IMG_1552.PNG (click to expand)

Way to make a good impression, Apple. Can't even get the undeletable companion app right.

9. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The story was the same with my iPad 3. The update took about 17 minutes and I gained some free space. I went from 8.22 GB free space before the update to 8.27 GB free. That's about a 51 MB gain in free space. Curious

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You probably gain a bit of "other" back.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That happens every time I delete an app there in "Manage Storage". Been like that a long time. What did you do on Music?

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep! But I didn't check before I updated. So IDK how much actually changed.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426000009.710083.jpg

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

That was my conclusion as well, as nothing else was changed on either the iPhone or iPad.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I used the Music app on iOS and iTunes on OS X normally. No weird stuff going on there. I added songs to iTunes, selected playlists I want to synchronize, then sync my iPhone to iTunes - phone connected to my iMac via USB cable. Nothing weird about the songs, as far as I'm aware. The songs are either iTunes purchases, imports of physical CDs I own (i.e. "ripping" the CDs), or, in a few rare cases, I extract the audio from a YouTube video using http://www.clipconverter.cc, a site which creates mp3 files of the audio from YouTube videos.

#14 Rafagon, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Well, that was confusing. I just meant in your phone's settings >General >usage >Manage Storage ←What did you do there in "Manage Storage" to cause it to freeze like it did? Did you tap on Music? Delete anything? Forget your computer. What happened in settings on your phone?

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I already stated exactly what I did, in post #5, above. In that post, I wrote what I was doing and what was happening, to wit: "Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > Music freezes the Settings app for about 20 seconds. Then, the app full-on crashes and you're returned back to the home screen."

@Ledsteplin :

Here is a more explicit and step-by step account of what I'm doing and what is happening (I just tested it now and it's still crashing, one day after installation of iOS 8.2).

I tap on the Settings app on the home screen, then I tap on General (the gear icon), then I tap on Usage, then I tap on Manage Storage (below the Storage heading), then I tap on the Music menu item (the one that you see immediately below):

music menu item.png

After I tap on the Music menu item, the Settings app simply freezes, while the music item becomes grayed out (this part is normal; it is supposed to gray out to indicate you have selected it, except that a split-second later it's supposed to go "into" Music and give you a breakdown of how exactly your Music is occuping 18.2 GB (in my case) of space.

The bug that I am experiencing is causing the Music menu item to remain grayed-out while the Settings app freezes completely. About 20 seconds later, I am "thrown back" to the Home Screen. Here is a screenshot of the Music item grayed out. Again, it displays this and remains unresponsive for about 20 seconds, then I am "thrown back" to the Home Screen, indicating that the Settings app experienced an unrecoverable error and was terminated by iOS.

After tapping on music.PNG (thumbnail; please click to expand)

Incidentally, when I tap on the other options in that menu (like Videos and Photos & Camera), it does not freeze at all. It works just fine.

Hope this clarifies what I'm doing and experiencing.

17. jkingrph

jkingrph New Member

I have all of our ios devices updating now. My wife's older iPhone 4s seems to be further along than anything else and it was started after several others.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The wife always wins. So I hear, anyways… :D

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah! It's been freezing that way for a long time when I delete an app from there. So I'm not surprised another action would do the same way.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List