CURSES! pardon my french...

H

Hayesimus

Do you believe curse or cuss words are taboo? Would you frown on an adult using them? Or perhaps just small children. I for one don't think saying DARN it is any better or worse than the alternatives. I do, however, maintain a level of respect for those around me to a point. I don't curse in front of kids or at church. But other than that I don't restrict myself. I'm not one of those that cusses every other word, but I do say WTF as just a generic filler every so often. I don't say things in front of kids because parents don't like it, but also when kids see how parents react to it, they perceive it as a taboo word. I think that they shouldn't be shunned from saying words like this personally. If you tell people they can't say a thing, then it gives that word extra meaning. Think if the word LAMP was the most awful thing you could ever say to someone. Well, if you just ignore its assumed connotation and let it fade into the vernacular then eventually it will be just another word that is meaningless in our langauge. I am not sure if that makes much sense right now, because I'm rather sleepy right now, but you know what I mean right? Its only bad because we THINK its bad. So quit thinking its bad and its neutral!

Don't be such a lamp... you son of a lamp... WTL?

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Hayes.. there is a commercial that says.
"if you don't get help with charter. get help somewhere"
What the hell are u talking about brother!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
What the french toast!? You lint licker! Son of a biscuit eater! Mr. Stinky stink Face. I'll pineApple slap your asgot!

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
see//Oj is offering a work around.. you can still be a good boy and get your message across!

H

Hayesimus

that's what I mean though. I'm a good boy, but I cuss often. I don't think cussing should be viewed negatively.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Hayes- Do you think cussing can be used for emphasizing certain things?

H

Hayesimus

in what context? I'm saying that given the option between what the fudge and what the F$#*, they shouldn't be more or less offensive than the other.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I agree with Zappa, words are words and shouldn't be graded on "offensiveness" in an ideal world. However, we don't live in that world.

I think swearing is like off-beat humor or remarks... it's all about timing and context. Swearing can certainly make something a lot funnier, and it can also make it much less funny. There is no way to codify how this works... it's just something you need to feel out on your fuckin' own.

See, I did it poorly there.

[shrug]