Curved iPhone 6 Screen Glass Appears In New Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The proximity of home button to the edge makes me question if it's real. I think cases would interfere with the fingerprint scanner on the home button. I'm using a fairly minimalistic 5s leather Apple case which has only a slight lip, and if I rest my thumb on that portion of that portion of screen it is not flush on the button as a result of the case. This would affect the reliability and usage of the scanner. It would be even worse with bulkier cases.
    image.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Not sure if it's real, but it looks sweet...

4. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

Really don't care what it looks like; I have a warm safe home for it in my pocket!

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Yep.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm hoping that Apple has a solution for that. I'd like to believe that these are real.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How can Apple solve that? They are creating a problem if this is real - a problem case manufacturers are going to have to work around. We're going to have to either use cases that have no lip and provide absolutely no protection against face-down drops or use cases with a full cutout at the bottom if we want to use the fingerprint scanner. I can't see Apple doing that when they could prevent it by adding a few more millimeters at the bottom.

EDIT: I just considered that the casing itself might make the phone extend down far enough that it wouldn't be a problem. It's difficult to say for sure only seeing the screen and not the entire device.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@Europa, Apple can fix it by not having the fingerprint scanner.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Or on screen as in this old mock up.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1404226567.145270.jpg

10. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

This is a poor attitude and one that I really don't understand, especially from fans of a company that built itself on aesthetic and style.

It also allows a company to become complacent, and that's the last thing you want from a company that takes your money on a yearly or bi-yearly schedule.

I bought a Nokia Lumia 925 real cheap as a backup to my Note 3 and I really like the curved edged glass on that phone. This looks to be the same thing so I like what I'm seeing.

11. Member 01

Member 01 New Member

That would look cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you read into their lighthearted replies too much and took them way too seriously. Obviously they do care. Those replies wouldn't make Apple complacent anyway. They know they need to stay competitive to remain in the game. iPhone users know that aesthetics are very important to Apple and it's unlikely that they would put out a phone that doesn't look good. I'm sure they are counting on that. Also, Apple doesn't force us to give them money - we do so voluntarily and could choose another phone if this one didn't look good.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Eragon was joking.

14. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

I was using humor to convey my acceptance of the larger phone. I have the Note 3. Hence I know from experience what it's like to have a large phone. If it wasn't for the awful UI (and broken screen :)), I'd still be using it.

Now I will wholeheartedly agree I can't fit my iPad Mini in my pants pockets. I was able to stuff it in a jacket once, but it really wasn't the experience I was looking for.

I'm looking forward to the 5.5" iPhone 6. Not too big. Not too small. But just right and definitely all Apple. :)

15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Eragon may have been joking, sure, but I've seen arguments made here before where posters have argued that looks don't matter and the insides are all that count. I could have sworn this was the forum where I posted something like "would you buy a Ferrari engine dropped into a Yugo?" because people insisted on not caring about the looks of the iPhone.

And Europa, I disagree with your point regarding people not buying Apple if they didn't like the design. I bet the vast majority of hardcore Apple fans would suck it up and buy Apple anyway even if they weren't satisfied with the design of the device.

16. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Fantastic choice regarding the Note 3. yes Samsung adds dumb designs to the software but I've customized it to hell with Xposed. Now it's virtually as I would have wanted it. Nearly perfect.

I'm really excited about Android L and love the changes Google has made. Maybe Samsung won't cap allover that aesthetic.

Only thing I don't like about the Note 3 and most phones actually are the low light images. The Nokia Lumia 925 I got as a spare blows all the other devices out of the water (except other high end Lumias, obviously.) I'm waiting to see such ability on the next generation Androids and the iPhone. Hopefully we'll get it soon enough. The One Plus One is almost there. Let's see what the Note 4 and iPhone 6 have in store.

17. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

Are you suggesting that I have bought every iPhone since 2007 because I can?

I resemble that remark. :)

18. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

Funny you say that. I'm resigned to having two phones (an Android and iPhone) in each pocket. Been farting around the OnePlus forums since May. Won an invite and almost had the chance to get the One Plus One. Today, i disputed One Plus's handling of my sale, and they cancelled the order. 30 minutes later I was on Oppo's website ordering the Find 7. Once I get it, I'll rip out the OEM OS and put something better on.

Looking forward to playing with QHD, even though there's very few apps employing it.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's probably because they have all looked pretty good. Those who say that are probably counting on the fact that it isn't going to look terrible. Do you really think Apple would make an iPhone that looked as bad as a Yugo? If it just looked so so, yeah, we might still use it just because we prefer iOS over Android and are vested in the Apple ecosystem. Again, that doesn't mean we would accept a device that looked really bad. I care about how it looks, but Apple is well known for putting out devices that look great so I'm not worried about it looking Yugo bad. If it did, obviously I wouldn't buy it.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't really care about the looks of the iPhone. I'll have mine in an Otterbox. Hopefully the Preserver, if they make it for the 6. I've only seen my 5 twice since August. I just want it to work well and provide decent battery life.