Custom Firmware Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It was discovered the Mac generated IPSW files are not compatible with PC's. Therefore, requests are no longer being taken. Sorry.

Yesterday I created a custom IPSW for Dave as he is using a PC, and since then I've gotten a few requests from others so I thought a thread for requests would be a good idea. Anybody who is using a PC (WinPwn 2.1 currently unreleased), unable/not willing/nervous to use Pwnage can make use of this thread. Listed below is what you need to specify for a request.

Device Type: V1 iPhone, iPhone 3G, V1 iPod touch (V2 Touch not supported)
Firmware Version: 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1 (2.1 recommended)
Activation: If you are a legit AT&T customer, you do not need this.
Unlock: State whether or not your device will be unlocked.
Custom Packages: Any Cydia packages you would like pre-installed
Custom Boot/Recovery Logos: Stock or custom (link to if the latter)
Root Partition Size: If you don't know what this means, skip it.
Firmware files are large - each around 250 MB - so they can't be emailed or uploaded to typical file sharing sites. If you do a request for somebody, you can upload the file to GigaSize.com, TransferBigFiles.com or any other method which is available and then link to it. Also, if you are going to do somebody's request, say so here before you do it so two people don't end up doing the same one.

Once you have your firmware, follow these instructions to use it.

1) Enter DFU Mode
We will use DFU to Restore the device. Note that it must be in DFU, NOT Recovery Mode. Exact timing is key here, so a timer is suggested. While following these procedures, have your device attached to your computer via USB.

• Shut down the device.
• Once the screen goes blanks, wait 5 seconds.
• Hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
• Release power button, hold home for 10 seconds.

Once in DFU, iTunes will tell you that the phone is in Recovery Mode (iTunes says Recovery for both modes) and your screen will be black, as if the phone is off. If you see a USB cord pointing towards the iTunes icon, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU. You must restore and start over.

2) Once in DFU, open iTunes if it is not already. If you are using a Mac, hold Option and press Restore. If you are a PC, hold Shift and press Restore. In the file browser that appears, navigate to your custom IPSW file and select it. Let the device restore.

Sep 14, 2008
custom firmware

Can you please create custom firmware for iPhone 2g(not 3g ) v2.1 to unlock jailbreak and activate with stock logos. I don't know what cydia is but if it creates extra ability then install your perferd config thank you.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Yesterday I created a custom IPSW for Dave as he is using a PC, and since then I've gotten a few requests from others so I thought a thread for requests would be a good idea. Anybody who is using a PC (WinPwn 2.1 currently unreleased), unable/not willing/nervous to use Pwnage can make use of this thread. Listed below is what you need to specify for a request.

Firmware files are large - each around 250 MB - so they can't be emailed or uploaded to typical file sharing sites. If you do a request for somebody, you can upload the file to GigaSize.com or any other method which is available and then link to it. Also, if you are going to do somebody's request, say so here before you do it so two people don't end up doing the same one.

The firmware I made for Dave is 2.1, has custom logos, does not activate or unlock, is for the V1 iPhone only, has a 500 MB root partition, and installs Cydia, Installer, BossPrefs, and Categories. Download it here.

I'm trying to use this firmware, but keep getting an error when trying to restore. You just shift/restore with this file, right? I'm on Vista, btw.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I'm trying to use this firmware, but keep getting an error when trying to restore. You just shift/restore with this file, right? I'm on Vista, btw.
Others have also been having issues using Vista when updating to 2.1. It's not just you.

Great thread Lincoln. I'm sure a lot of Windows users will find it useful.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
thank you for this thread. I would be in great debt to anyone that can help me acquire a jailbrake firmware for my 3g 2.1 phone on a windows xp machine. Do I need to tell you now what I want on it..? Cydia, winterboard and erica's makeitmine.
Actually if I can just get the firmware, I can add those extras myself through cydia, right? I just want to jailbrake. I'm a legit AT&T customer.
Thanks in advance.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
^^^
Same here except I'm on vista. I'm going to jailbreak as soon as winpwn is released. I have been waiting for 2.1 so I didn't get JB and the have to start over a week later.

Jun 21, 2007
im looking for the 2.1 firmware for iPhone 3g...all i want is the phone to be jail broken and working i guess with installer and cydia....i will install everything else....i have it on the regular att network.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Others have also been having issues using Vista when updating to 2.1. It's not just you.

Great thread Lincoln. I'm sure a lot of Windows users will find it useful.

No issues at all with the stock firmware, just the custom FW linked in the first post............

antithetic

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
iPhone 3G 2.1 Custom Firmware

Device Type: iPhone 3G
Firmware Version: 2.1
Activation: No Activation (Carrier Subscription Required)
Unlock: Carrier Locked
Custom Packages: None
Custom Boot/Recovery Logos: Stock
Root Partition Size: Default

Here is the 2.1 firmware for iPhone 3G. Does not activate nor unlock. Cydia pre-installed.

NB: Also does not update baseband firmware. 2.02 firmware has baseband version 2.08.07. I didn't notice any apparent anomalies during my usage over the weekend.

I ended up updating my baseband to the current version 2.11.07 this morning however.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=ykk26d4j94b

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
underdogcomplex's firmware has been completed and is uploading. I'll start working on OJ's now.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I hate to be a party pooper, but I can't get Linc's firmware to work at all. It appears to be whole and uncorrupt, I'm definitely getting my phone into DFU mode (dark, blank screen, all the signs... I timed with a stopwatch to the second), but I keep getting error 1600. I've tried uninstalling iTunes 8.0 and going back to 7.7 like some iPod Touch guides suggest, but it didn't change anything.

My stock firmware is still there and no harm done, but I really wish I could get this thing working. [Sigh]... I guess I'll have to wait until I can build my own?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You need to get the phone into DFU mode before it will accept a pwned firmware from iTunes. But, like I said above, I'm doing that and it's still not going through. So who knows...

Has anyone had success with a pre-generated ipsw on Windows yet?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Dave, I'm thinking the firmware I gave you is a bad egg. Is it possible that PwnageTool-generated images aren't Windows compatible? I sincerely doubt it, but it's possible the Dev Team purposefully made it that way. I'll look into it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Is it possible that PwnageTool-generated images aren't Windows compatible? I sincerely doubt it, but it's possible the Dev Team purposefully made it that way. I'll look into it.
I'll take your FW into work tonight and try to do it in OSX. If it works, that should answer our questions.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Okay, I contacted the Dev Team and they said there's nothing that prevents PwnageTool iamges from working with Windows or iTunes 8 so long as you are performing a DFU Restore, so that firmware was bad for some reason. Download link removed, a fresh version will come after OJ's.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Awesome... but aren't you in school right now?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Awesome... but aren't you in school right now?
Was.. My 2nd Period room was 85 degrees and I got quite nauseous and dizzy, so I had to come home and sleep for a while. Still not quite up to par, but better.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ew... sorry to hear that. When it gets that hot in non-AC schools around here, they let out early or cancel altogether.

Hope you feel better. The firmware can wait :)

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This was a great idea linc. I'm waiting for from someone to get a solid jb from it. Can't wait. =)

edit:
am i going to be able to do a DFU upgrade to one of these custom firmwares? or am i going to need tp update to the official 2.1 first?

Jun 21, 2007
I tried this and it didn't work, i get a 1600 error when trying to restore. did i do something wrong?

Device Type: iPhone 3G
Firmware Version: 2.1
Activation: No Activation (Carrier Subscription Required)
Unlock: Carrier Locked
Custom Packages: None
Custom Boot/Recovery Logos: Stock
Root Partition Size: Default

Here is the 2.1 firmware for iPhone 3G. Does not activate nor unlock. Cydia pre-installed.

NB: Also does not update baseband firmware. 2.02 firmware has baseband version 2.08.07. I didn't notice any apparent anomalies during my usage over the weekend.

I ended up updating my baseband to the current version 2.11.07 this morning however.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=ykk26d4j94b

Status
Not open for further replies.