Custom mp3 ringtones for 2.0 and iTunes 7.7

coolguy8621

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
ok so apparently after iTunes 7.4 they blocked custom made mp3 ringtones even if they are converted to mp4...has anyone come up with a way to do it on the iPhone 3g with the 2.0 and iTunes 7.7? The old way doesn't work of putting them in mp4 and trying to drag them over.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
ok so apparently after iTunes 7.4 they blocked custom made mp3 ringtones even if they are converted to mp4...has anyone come up with a way to do it on the iPhone 3g with the 2.0 and iTunes 7.7? The old way doesn't work of putting them in mp4 and trying to drag them over.
If you have a Mac, you can use Garageband and make it there. Then in Share, click on send ringtone to iTunes. I know it still works.

I tried it today.

coolguy8621

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
i guess i should have said i have a PC and used quicktime pro to get them into mp4

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
um
i just convert a 30 second song to AAC and change the filetype to .m4r
works great

coolguy8621

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
sent you a message, not sure how to do the next steps after, how to rename the extension and when i drag it it doesn't show up anywhere

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It still works just fine. I've already done it this morning to verify. You don't covert them to .mp4; you convert the .mp3 to AAC, then rename it as an .m4r file. Once you've done those two things, click on the newly renamed .m4r file, and it will automatically move to your iTunes>ringtones folder and start playing.

ISOHaven

Jul 12, 2008
It still works just fine. I've already done it this morning to verify. You don't covert them to .mp4; you convert the .mp3 to AAC, then rename it as an .m4r file. Once you've done those two things, click on the newly renamed .m4r file, and it will automatically move to your iTunes>ringtones folder and start playing.
It's not working for me. Maybe I'm using the wrong converter?

If I download this file:
meyerweb.com/sounds/yy-ringtone.m4r

It gets added to my Ringtone library and it will sync to my 3G iPhone via iTunes 7.7.

If I use dBpoweramp 12 and convert my MP3 to Apple Lossless or Nero AAC then rename file to .m4r it gets added to my Ringtone library but it will NOT sync to my iPhone.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Make sure that the sound clip is under 30 seconds.

- Garrett

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Ok, you should really try this: http://www.iringer.net/
its free and easy and it only takes 3 clicks. import, preview and export. and it sends it straight to iTunes. its the best thing for making iPhone ringtones.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's not working for me. Maybe I'm using the wrong converter?

If I download this file:
meyerweb.com/sounds/yy-ringtone.m4r

It gets added to my Ringtone library and it will sync to my 3G iPhone via iTunes 7.7.

If I use dBpoweramp 12 and convert my MP3 to Apple Lossless or Nero AAC then rename file to .m4r it gets added to my Ringtone library but it will NOT sync to my iPhone.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help!
How long is the ringtone? It needs to be less than 30 seconds.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
um
i just convert a 30 second song to AAC and change the filetype to .m4r
works great
That's what I was going to say. I have always done that. It's quite easy.

ISOHaven

Jul 12, 2008
Make sure that the sound clip is under 30 seconds.

- Garrett
The file I posted was 33 seconds and works. My file was 32 seconds. I shaved off a second of dead space and now it works.

Thanks!

However, the file sounds great on my PC but for some reason sounds like crap on the phone speaker. Can someone recommend an app that can clean it up or make it iPhone speaker friendly?

Jul 13, 2008
Hi! Thanks for the help, got my iPhone with a new ringtone~ hurray.

But about the sound quality fix, i found if you just lower the volume enough it works. 50% volume did the trick for me, sounds great, and its definitely loud enough to hear.

If that doesn't work, dunno what to tell you. sorry.

ISOHaven

Jul 12, 2008
Hi! Thanks for the help, got my iPhone with a new ringtone~ hurray.

But about the sound quality fix, i found if you just lower the volume enough it works. 50% volume did the trick for me, sounds great, and its definitely loud enough to hear.

If that doesn't work, dunno what to tell you. sorry.
Dropped it down to -10dB....MUCH BETTER! Thanks for the tip!