custom ringtone for 1.1.1 for PC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blackcat

Jul 16, 2007
This worked great for me.
Two things I noticed though, Ringtones.plist needs to be replaced (with the one you create) everytime you sync, and ringtones need to be near 30 sec. Some shorter files would not play for me.
YMMV

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
In case it hasn't been mentioned, syncing with iTunes blows out the plist file.

So for now I'm using Tapp to handle the plist swap.

If you want to use this just install Tapp from installer or iBrickr. I have attached my .tapp command file here. Unzip it from the attachment and place it in /var/root. Set its permissions to 0755. Also make sure your "working" copy of Ringtones.plist is named Ringtones.plist.OK, and in the same folder.

Then when you open Tapp you'll see this (in Execute mode):

Just tap the line beginning with cp and Ringtones.plist.OK will be copied to Ringtones.plist.

For now this works, but I'll still probably make it into an app (albeit a very simple one). You just have to remember to run it right after syncing.

--
Mike

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

sjb03008

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
In case it hasn't been mentioned, syncing with iTunes blows out the plist file.

So for now I'm using Tapp to handle the plist swap.

If you want to use this just install Tapp from installer or iBrickr. I have attached my .tapp command file here. Unzip it from the attachment and place it in /var/root. Set its permissions to 0755. Also make sure your "working" copy of Ringtones.plist is named Ringtones.plist.OK, and in the same folder.

Then when you open Tapp you'll see this (in Execute mode):

Just tap the line beginning with cp and Ringtones.plist.OK will be copied to Ringtones.plist.

For now this works, but I'll still probably make it into an app (albeit a very simple one). You just have to remember to run it right after syncing.

--
Mike
Does anyone who has time and is awesome and charitable think they can post a sort of guide on how to sync ringtones in using Ibrickr plus the above methods for us who are less talented in deciphering and bringing together technological methods?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Does anyone who has time and is awesome and charitable think they can post a sort of guide on how to sync ringtones in using Ibrickr plus the above methods for us who are less talented in deciphering and bringing together technological methods?
Thanks!
I take it for this method to work you have had to hack your phone for this program to work.

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
To bad itoner doesn't work with PC. I have a feeling that iPhoneringtonemaker isn't gonna release anything that will go with 1.1.1. I sent them an email asking for an update and that was almost two weeks ago and still have yet to get a reply. Seems to me that they took our 10-14 dollars and ran after the update happened.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
can someone upload their pls please. i think i did that wrong. oh and upload the ringtone too thanks
i had some trouble with it as well. the one thing you HAVE to remember is the the name of the ringtone HAS to be 7 characters when you convert it to AAC. it didn't finally sink in til i was reading a post on another forum. and it worked. I don't know if changing the properties of the ringtone and the spoof files to 0755 is a must (i did it anyway). Give those a try and see if they work for you.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i had some trouble with it as well. the one thing you HAVE to remember is the the name of the ringtone HAS to be 7 characters when you convert it to AAC. it didn't finally sink in til i was reading a post on another forum. and it worked. I don't know if changing the properties of the ringtone and the spoof files to 0755 is a must (i did it anyway). Give those a try and see if they work for you.
I ran through the process. Named the MP3 mailbox.mp3 and then converted it to AAC and it became MAILBOX.M4A. I copied it to the iTunes_control/Ringtones along with the spoof.m4r - I changed the changed the ringtone.plist file to show the following...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>mail.m4a</key>
<dict>
<key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000001</string>
<key>Name</key><string>mail.m4a</string>
<key>Total Time</key><integer>06872</integer>
</dict>
<key>spoof.m4r</key>
<dict>
<key>GUID</key><string>0000000000000001</string>
<key>Name</key><string>mail.m4a</string>
<key>Total Time</key><integer>06872</integer>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I turned the phone off and back on and no new ringtones.

NOTE: is there a way to have new TEXT messages?