Custom ringtones for PC users

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I saw no feasible way to "BRICK" your phone. That is just put in there just on the off chance someone actually manages too.

Last edited by a moderator:

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Basically, you have to get the firmware to download...so you pretend you are going to download and install, but instead you just download it.

Can anyone help with my problems, I wanna keep my custom ringtones, but I want to be able to sync as well :sick:.

You can sync. You just cant update/restore. Well you CAN update or restore but you lose your ringtones.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I do this and itmeeses up my phone would I be able to walk toApple and cla my phonejust stopped working and get a replacement?
That's what I'm saying, there really isn't a risk here. You have a one year warranty on your phone and you don't need to tell Apple all of the reasons as to "why" it stopped working, you can just play dumb and get a replacement.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That's what I'm saying, there really isn't a risk here. You have a one year warranty on your phone and you don't need to tell Apple all of the reasons as to "why" it stopped working, you can just play dumb and get a replacement.
I'm not so sure that they won't be able to know. It just depends on whether they'll take the time to look hard enough. If enough phones start coming in with software problems, I'm sure they'll be able to track it back.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
As I said they just put that in as a warning. ANYTHING I mean ANYTHING done to something COULD brick it. The chances are just so low that you don't even think about it.

Ballerstat

Jul 15, 2007
cant seem to get past the step where the phone says "Please connect to iTunes" and the computer says "Sending More Files... Booting iPhone..."

how long does this part usually take?

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
alright well its seems as if there is next to no risk in doing this

how do i turn an mp3 into a ringtone first of all? Is there also a way to make the ringtone very LOUD so i can actually hear it?

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

how do i turn an mp3 into a ringtone first of all? Is there also a way to make the ringtone very LOUD so i can actually hear it?
Yes, I've read forums where people actually use the iPhone ringers, but make them louder in programs, like Adobe Audition, or Garage Band, so on...

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007

The iPhone accepts mp3s even though it isn't stated on the walkthrough. If you want to edit songs I've been using an open source program called Audacity. Here is the link;

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good Luck!

AllanGT

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Dallas
Is it possible to just set a full mp3 as a ringtone? Or do they have to be 20 - 30 second clips, like on other phones?

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Is it possible to just set a full mp3 as a ringtone? Or do they have to be 20 - 30 second clips, like on other phones?
The can be the full song (I'm pretty sure) but your phone only rings for what... 30 seconds?

so minus well get the best 30 seconds out of that song! :laugh2:

H

heespharm

just becareful when you increase the volume on any ringtone.... The speaker is soi tiny and bass is already muddy through it...

I would edit the bass out if your gonna create a louder ringtone.... Just so you don't take a risk in blowing the speaker

edw1nk

Jul 7, 2007
after waiting 12 hrs to reactivate my phone, and putting in my own ringtones, my phones overall volume seems to be lower. but i think its all in my head.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
So... exactly when do I unplug the phone to get the update to download? People say when it starts downloading but it NEVER says that word. It start "preparing" the iPhone and then searching, and then exracting software, etc. Everytime I pull the plug iTunes gives me an error message. Please help!

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So... exactly when do I unplug the phone to get the update to download? People say when it starts downloading but it NEVER says that word. It start "preparing" the iPhone and then searching, and then exracting software, etc. Everytime I pull the plug iTunes gives me an error message. Please help!
okay, I had troubles with this too...

What I found out was that what it wants you to download is the software package... so you know usually before you restore your iPhone, it downloads something... it wants you to download that and once it's download take off your iPhone.

your iPhone should be working fine when you take it off.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
okay, I had troubles with this too...

What I found out was that what it wants you to download is the software package... so you know usually before you restore your iPhone, it downloads something... it wants you to download that and once it's download take off your iPhone.

your iPhone should be working fine when you take it off.
Ok I'm not sure if I really understood that....you said just leave it on during the restore process until it mentions applying it to the phone? I've already gone too far and ended up erasing everything (no big deal its saved). I guess I'll try again...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
man... pulled the plug and again it gave error and when I plugged the phone back in it said to restore before i used it again. got to re activate again for the 4th time since 3pm. man I must be an idiot.

DanDigital

Jul 15, 2007
I'm having a problem maybe someone can help me with. Ive got the new ringtones on my phone but not all of them show up in the list when I try to assign ringtones to a specific contact. Is there a separate directory where the phone stores the ringtones in the "assign to contact" list?

H

heespharm

odd maybe its too big a file( too long of a song ) to use as a contact ringtone

Another thing that maybe important is to reduce the file name length and keep it to simple characters