Custom Ringtones without Jailbreaking WORKS with the new 1.1.2 Firmware Update!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

CarbonFly

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Columbia, SC
This has been tested and proven over at Macrumors.

1. Create a ringtone as mp3 (less than 30 seconds long).
2. Import into iTunes.
3. Convert to ACC.
4. Rename extension to m4r.
5. Drag the file into the ringtones folder.

You can then sync your custom ringtone with your iPhone. It works like a charm.

Have fun guys and gals! I'm so glad that I can finally use CTU as my ringtone. :cool:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
doesn't work for me on 1.1.2 and iTunes 7.5. Where do you rename it and also, do you drag and drop it from within iTunes?
I'm still restoring my iTunes library right now, so I'm not sure if it will actually transfer, but I imported all my mp3 ringtones I made for my old phone (under 30 seconds) into iTunes, set the import options to AAC... converted those files to AAC... right clicked the new AAC's and selected "Show in Windows Explorer" (or OSX equivalent), renamed to .m4r ... then I dragged from that folder back to the iTunes ringtone folder. It appeared to work fine on that end... we'll see if it works on the phone in about 20 minutes!

Again... very exciting news and well worth the update

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Any chance you can post an mp3 of the CTU ringtone? or point me in the right direction....I'd like it for when they finally crack text message notification sounds:)

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I left behind a fully modded 1.1.1 iPhone for 1.1.2 because of the custom ringtone workaround working again! This is great...I did happen to also install Oktoprep prior to the update so I should be able to jailbreak my 1.1.2 iPhone once the GUI/Touchfree app is released as well ;)

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
This has been tested and proven over at Macrumors.

1. Create a ringtone as mp3 (less than 30 seconds long).
2. Import into iTunes.
3. Convert to ACC.
4. Rename extension to m4r.
5. Drag the file into the ringtones folder.
How do you rename the file extension to m4r? Thanks.

Does the iPhone have to be modded in any way?

Oct 30, 2007
I am following the directions to a "T" but still can't get the ringtone to add.

I haven't synced my music yet, just everything else is checked. Could that be the problem? I'm syncing the music as we speak.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
I changed my 25 sec ringtone to a mp3, opened iTunes, imported the song, chose the song and converted it to ACC and right clicked on the song and it says the extension is m4r, I held it down and drug it to the ringtones folder and it won't move. What am I doing wrong?

eTEK

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
hmmm this isn't workin for me. Is this only 1.1.2? and are you syncing for iTunes with the new iTunes?

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone know where I can get these two ringtones?

1) Ringtone from Jaime Sommer's phone on the new Bionic Woman
2) Ringtone from the new show CHUCK

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
In order to properly rename an .M4A file extension to .M4R, go to the directory on your PC where the .M4A (AAC) file you just converted in iTunes is located and click (in the menu window at the top of the screen):

Tools > Folder Options > "View" Tab > Uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types", then click OK to confirm.

Once you have unchecked this option, you will be able to see the actual .XXX extension of every file on your PC. Now you can click the file and change the .M4A extension to (.M4R). Once you have changed it and hit enter, it will ask if you are sure. Once you click "Yes" and the file is changed to XXXXX.M4R, the file icon will change to "RING" which indicates it is a ringtone file. Now you can open iTunes and copy it into the Ringtone directory of iTunes via copy/paste or drag/drop. Either method will work fine.

;)