Custom Ringtones without Jailbreaking WORKS with the new 1.1.2 Firmware Update!

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
In windows vista there is no option for folder options, any other suggestions?

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
I only beta tested Vista for about 3 months and I did not research the "view" file options. Sorry. Basically, you are asking your PC to show you the actual extensions of your files. It usually hides most "known" file extensions.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
Is there a way to change the file by right clicking on it?

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Is there a way to change the file by right clicking on it?
Right clicking or highlighting only changes the file name and not necessarily the actual file type in this instance, so you really need to change the actual extension via the steps I listed.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
Ok, I figured out how to show the file extensions and I followed all of the instructions to the letter and tried to drag and drop it into the ringtone folder and no luck, doens't show up, doesn't sync to the ringtones either. Do you have to have an other modifications? I have a standard iPhone, never tampered with.

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
If it will not drag and drop, then you still do not have the file extension done properly. Again, I am not sure about Vista, but it has always worked like a charm in iTunes 7.4 and 7.5 on XPSP2.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
Ok, I can see the file extensions and looked in the ringtones folder on my computer, not through iTunes and I can see all of them are m4r extensions and so is mine. I took an old ringtone I had from my blackjack, it was wma format, I used goldwave and resaved it as a mp3. Opened iTunes and imported it into my library. Right clicked on the song and converted it to AAC. I then found the file on my hard drive (not through iTunes) and saw that the file extension was a mp3 and changed it to m4r and it asked me if I was sure and I clicked ok. I then copied it from the main library folder on my hard drive and pasted it in the ringtones folder on my hard drive and it's there but it won't show up in iTunes in the ringtone folder and it doesn't show on my phone when i sync it. Did I do something wrong?

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
You have to change the extension on the file that is the newly converted file (AAC/M4A), not the original MP3. If you are changing the extension on an MP3, it will not work. Again, when you right click "convert to AAC" an MP3 in iTunes, it makes a new file with a .M4A extension in the iTunes music direcetory. This is the one you need to change.

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Once you have the file properly converted, just open the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes and drag the new .M4R file over into the "Ringtones" window and it should be there. I just did 7 like this.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
I got it working! I had to close iTunes after I converted it to AAC then move it to the ringtones folder after changing the extension. When I reopened iTunes it was there! Thanks for the help.

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
You're welcome. Now load it up. :)

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This has been tested and proven over at Macrumors.

1. Create a ringtone as mp3 (less than 30 seconds long).
2. Import into iTunes.
3. Convert to ACC.
4. Rename extension to m4r.
5. Drag the file into the ringtones folder.

You can then sync your custom ringtone with your iPhone. It works like a charm.

Have fun guys and gals! I'm so glad that I can finally use CTU as my ringtone. :cool:
im in central time and waiting for the new firmware. anyways i was wondering when i get it how do you Creat a ringtine as mp3? sorry maybe be a stupid question but i was wonderin how, maybe i already know how but its just not clicking in my head. please help anyone

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
I use GoldWave (google it) and you can take any song, any format and cut it down to 30 secs and save it as any format you want. Most songs you download are going to be mp3s

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i just noticed that goldwave cost money, is there any free program. if not ill buy it anyway.

canecop

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
I'm still using it even after my trial version ran out and it still does everything I need it to do. I haven't paid a dime for it.

Air

Oct 14, 2007
Windows Movie Maker is a sublime tool for creating audio, fading in and out, and cutting it down all while being extremely simple and easy to use. Plus it's free, and all Windows users already have it. No need to download another program.