Custom text message sounds...

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hi,

I'm wondering how to use an audio file I have on my computer as a text message sound, via SSH. I can find the /Ringtone folder fine, but apparently there is a separate folder for text message sounds somewhere that I'm not able to locate.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

--
Shane H

DJ Indy

Jul 27, 2007
Arizona
SMS sounds are located here:

System/
Library/
Audio/
UISounds/
sms-received(1-6).caf

What I did was, back-up. then delete the original "sms-received4.caf" then renamed my custom sound file "sms-received4" with a .caf extension. Then placed it in the UIsounds folder. Make sure you're actually changing your custom sound's file extension to ".caf" not just renaming it.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't find where to change the names of the SMS sounds. Meaning, the "horn" sound for my SMS sound is actually my own custom sound. Hope this helps, good luck :)

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
SMS sounds are located here:

System/
Library/
Audio/
UISounds/
sms-received(1-6).caf

What I did was, back-up. then delete the original "sms-received4.caf" then renamed my custom sound file "sms-received4.caf" and then placed it in the UIsounds folder. Make sure you're actually changing your custom sound's file extension to ".caf" not just renaming it.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't find where to change the names of the SMS sounds. Meaning, the "horn" sound for my SMS sound is actually my own custom sound. Hope this helps, good luck :)
I did all of that with a small .mp3 file & I couldnt get it to play. Swapped it with the sms-received1.caf "tri-tone" and nothing ! Put the original file back in & it worked fine. :eek:

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I did all of that with a small .mp3 file & I couldnt get it to play. Swapped it with the sms-received1.caf "tri-tone" and nothing ! Put the original file back in & it worked fine. :eek:
Same thing happening here.

DJ Indy

Jul 27, 2007
Arizona
I would think it's one of these two problems.

-your .mp3 hasn't been changed to a .caf file

-you need to delete the original "sms-received1.caf" file, then replace it with your new one.

*NOTE* I did this on firmware 1.1.2 via ibrickr. If you guy's wanna try my .caf file, PM me your e-mail and I can send it to you. Hope this helps.

DJ Indy

Jul 27, 2007
Arizona
Actually there's one more thing, that I'm almost certain is the problem. I edited my original post to make things clearer.

The name of the file should be "sms-received1" and it is a .caf file. I'm betting if you showed the name of your file and extension it looks like this "sms-received1.caf.caf"

So make sure your custom sound is called "sms-received1" and that it is a .caf sound file. Sorry for the confusion.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Actually there's one more thing, that I'm almost certain is the problem. I edited my original post to make things clearer.

The name of the file should be "sms-received1" and it is a .caf file. I'm betting if you showed the name of your file and extension it looks like this "sms-received1.caf.caf"

So make sure your custom sound is called "sms-received1" and that it is a .caf sound file. Sorry for the confusion.
I may need to find a program to convert .mp3 to .caf because simply renaming the extension, makes the file type a .caf and it shows a CAF Audio File in the properties, but I get no sound coming from it. Although, I just overrode one of the other sounds. I never deleted it and then dropped my file in.

Maybe I will try that, as you suggested...

Thanks!

Oh, P.S. -- Can you recommend a .mp3 to .caf conversion? Or are you just renaming them?

--
Shane H

DJ Indy

Jul 27, 2007
Arizona
I may need to find a program to convert .mp3 to .caf because simply renaming the extension, makes the file type a .caf and it shows a CAF Audio File in the properties, but I get no sound coming from it. Although, I just overrode one of the other sounds. I never deleted it and then dropped my file in.

Maybe I will try that, as you suggested...

Thanks!

Oh, P.S. -- Can you recommend a .mp3 to .caf conversion? Or are you just renaming them?

--
Shane H
Im just renaming the file extension, no conversion necessary. You should be able to play the new .CAF file in its native program (QuickTime). I think thats the most important thing, is making sure after you change the file type, that it is playable through QuickTime. Btw, I'm doing this all on a PC, I'm not sure if the process works on a mac. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a mac, but I haven't tested it out yet.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Renaming alone will not do it with an MP3. conversion is necessary.

CAF is a renamed AIFF file (*.aif). AIFF is an uncompressed file (like a .WAV file).

iTunes can convert any file imported into an AIFF if you go into preferences/advanced/importing and select the AIFF encoder. Then just rename the file to the proper *.caf file you want to replace and SSH it to the phone.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008

CAF is a renamed AIFF file (*.aif). AIFF is an uncompressed file (like a .WAV file).

iTunes can convert any file imported into an AIFF if you go into preferences/advanced/importing and select the AIFF encoder. Then just rename the file to the proper *.caf file you want to replace and SSH it to the phone.
Great, thanks Dave - worked like a charm!

DJ Indy

Jul 27, 2007
Arizona

yes, I used a .wav file and just changed the file extension to .caf and it worked fine. I probably should've mentioned that :oops: Thanks for jumping in and clearing up some of the problems.

5jgibbs

Jul 28, 2008
Hay, well I have been renaming my aiff files to the caf extension after conversion. I upload the file to the correct place and it does not work.

My filename will look something like this

sms-received2.caf ect..

I checked the file extension, thats fine, it plays in quicktime.

I just get no sound what so ever. Is there a size limit, or whatnot?

The permissions are fine for the file too.

Im very good with unix and this should be very easy, but my phone refuses to play the custom sound, even after all the conversions to the right format and changing the file to a caf format ect.

Any help would be great.

BTW all the originals work fine when restored. iPhone 3G 2.0 pwned.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Hay, well I have been renaming my aiff files to the caf extension after conversion. I upload the file to the correct place and it does not work.

My filename will look something like this

sms-received2.caf ect..

I checked the file extension, thats fine, it plays in quicktime.

I just get no sound what so ever. Is there a size limit, or whatnot?

The permissions are fine for the file too.

Im very good with unix and this should be very easy, but my phone refuses to play the custom sound, even after all the conversions to the right format and changing the file to a caf format ect.

Any help would be great.

BTW all the originals work fine when restored. iPhone 3G 2.0 pwned.
Limit yourself to no longer than 3 seconds to be safe. Other than that, make sure it's in the right location.

Jul 28, 2008
SMS Guide

Hey Guys, I found this guide, hope it helps yall, works great for me...

-SMS Guide-

SMS Notification is slightly more complicated than the Ringtones counterpart. SMS notification actually can’t be added, only modified. I also recommend shorter file for SMS notification. Here are the steps I take:
  1. Trim MP3 files using Audacity (usually SMS notification should be shorter, roughly 3-4 seconds should be good)
  2. Import the MP3 file to iTunes
  3. Goto iTunes -> Preferences (for Mac) or Edit -> Preferences (for PC)
  4. Navigate to Advanced -> Importing tab and set the “Import Using:” to AIFF
  5. Find the AIFF file and copy to desktop
  6. Change the extension to “.caf”
  7. SCP to the iPhone using Cyberduck (Mac) or WinSCP (Windows) or any other SCP software
  8. Navigate to the following directory: “/System/Library/Audio/UISounds”
  9. Change one of the “sms-received<x>.caf” file to “sms-received_<x>.caf” where <x> is an integer from 1 to 6 that is least preferrable

For example: Rename “sms-received6.caf” to “sms-received_6.caf” to replace the Electronic with custom sound
    1. File name mapping to notification name:
      sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
      sms-received2.caf -> Chime.caf
      sms-received3.caf -> Glass
      sms-received4.caf -> Horn
      sms-received5.caf -> Bell
      sms-received6.caf -> Electronic
  10. Upload the file on the desktop using the old name of that was changed
    For example: if “sms-received6.caf” is changed to “sms-received_6.caf”, upload the file using the name “sms-received6.caf”
  11. Choose in iPhone the replaced tone
    For example: if you replaced sms-received6.caf, then you should choose Electronic
[Updates:]
To rename how the SMS tones display in your iPhone

1) Download this file: [See 'Attached Below']
2) Open with Windows wordPad
3) Change the text as desired to your preferred display name:

<string>Chime</string>
<string>Glass</string>
<string>Horn</string>
<string>Bell</string>
<string>Electronic</string>
<string>Tri-tone</string>

4) Save the file
5) Using WinSCP browse to folder: /Applications/Preference.app/English.lproj
6) Rename the existing Sounds.strings to Sounds.strings.orig
7) Upload your modified copy of Sounds.strings to the directory

*Note* This has only been tested with English but may work for other langauges
*Note2* If you download your existing Sounds.strings file you will find it is not editable in Windows, the one linked above is the original, unmodified Sounds.strings file)

Sounds List File

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
attached file is no good. please re upload it

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
anything release for 2.0 yet? I have a couple custom sms tones that I'm dying to put on my new 3G phone. lol