Customize SMS Sound Not Working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I can get the email sounds to work in CUSTOMIZE but I can't seem to get the new SMS message alert to change. When I get a new message the default tone from my iPhone is played. How do I change this?
What app do I use to add my own personal sms message alert tones?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I can get the email sounds to work in CUSTOMIZE but I can't seem to get the new SMS message alert to change. When I get a new message the default tone from my iPhone is played. How do I change this?

What firmware are you running?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I don't know how many times it has to be said about v1.1.1 and customize.

Currently it's really buggy and would advise from any further use of it, until it is updated.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
SMS sounds will not work with Customize on 1.1.1 phones, since Apple now allows you to choose from 6 SMS sounds. The work around for this is to replace one of the 6 new tones with your own. First, you'll need to convert your sound to a .caf file. Then using your favorite browser program (WinSCP, iBrickr, Cyberduck, etc), navigate to this directory on your phone:

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

The 6 apple-created SMS sounds are as follows:

sms-received1.caf = Tri-tone
sms-received2.caf = Chime
sms-received3.caf = Glass
sms-received4.caf = Horn
sms-received5.caf = Bell
sms-received6.caf = Electronic

So you'll want to pick one of these to replace over. For example, if you decide to replace Electronic, you'll want to rename your sound file to sms-received6.caf and just upload the file to this directory. Then go to Settings-->Sounds-->New Text Message and select your sound file.

Please note that the SMS name will not change. So if you replaced Electronic with your own custom tone, it will still say "Electronic" in the menu, but will play your custom tone.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
SMS sounds will not work with Customize on 1.1.1 phones, since Apple now allows you to choose from 6 SMS sounds. The work around for this is to replace one of the 6 new tones with your own. First, you'll need to convert your sound to a .caf file. Then using your favorite browser program (WinSCP, iBrickr, Cyberduck, etc), navigate to this directory on your phone:

sms-received4.caf = Horn
sms-received5.caf = Bell

So you'll want to pick one of these to replace over. For example, if you decide to replace Electronic, you'll want to rename your sound file to sms-received6.caf and just upload the file to this directory. Then go to Settings-->Sounds-->New Text Message and select your sound file.

Please note that the SMS name will not change. So if you replaced Electronic with your own custom tone, it will still say "Electronic" in the menu, but will play your custom tone.
Thanks. By the way, "Electronic" is just about the lamest text message alert sound I've ever heard in my life. I can't believe a major corporation like Apple would decide to use such a crappy alert sound as one of their top 6 choices for the most powerful phone in the world. How embarrassing for them. (The other text message sounds are also really bad too.)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
First, you'll need to convert your sound to a .caf file.

By the way, I heard somewhere that if you just use a wave or mp3 file and change the extension to .caf, then it will still play without having to convert it. If someone would please try this and let us all know...

sanjuue

Nov 27, 2007
how can i upload the file to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds directory? I am a Windows based user (no Mac). What program can I use? Pls advise, thnx

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
how can i upload the file to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds directory? I am a Windows based user (no Mac). What program can I use? Pls advise, thnx
WinSCP. The Host is the IP address of your phone, available under Wifi setting, the username is root, and the password is alpine on 1.1.1 and dottie on 1.0.2

barbary

May 14, 2008
By the way, I heard somewhere that if you just use a wave or mp3 file and change the extension to .caf, then it will still play without having to convert it. If someone would please try this and let us all know...
Yes it is true, I just renamed a .wav file to the horn sound above and copied it over to my iPhone using WinSCP - works fine! :laugh2:

BTW for 1.1.4 the username is root, and the password is alpine. :cool:

staceyde

Jun 25, 2008
SMS sounds not working at all

My SMS sounds aren't working at all. I am running 1.1.4 Customize 2.0.... please help.

I don't know how many times it has to be said about v1.1.1 and customize.

Currently it's really buggy and would advise from any further use of it, until it is updated.

Katrina

Aug 27, 2008
using cyberduck to connect to my iPhone

sms-received4.caf = Horn
sms-received5.caf = Bell

Thanks for the help described here.
I'm very new to my iPhone G3 (in Australia) and have downloaded and installed cyberduck but have not been able to work out how to connect to my iPhone.
I would appreciate some help on making that connection so that I can then follow these instructions and get my favourite message alert onto my iPhone.
thanks in advance! :)

Katrina

Aug 27, 2008
connecting with cyberduck

it's the same as it's always been... Root. Alpine.
Thanks for the super-fast reply OJsakila.
I feel like this should be the simple part - I'm on a mac, using cyberduck to try and connect
i've tried by putting a path in to where the sounds are or not putting it in
here is a screen shot, i've also tried the other protocols
I would really appreciate if you can work out what I must be doing wrong
the IP address is definitely correct

Picture 1.jpg
the error I get for doing this is
Picture 2.jpg

seems to me it is saying the username or password is bad
I don't have any third party software on the iPhone - it's a very new phone and my first experience with one

all help I'll be very happy to receive