Customizing...

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
So is jailbreaking your iPhone the only way to customize your icons and fonts and so on so on?

New to this iPhone world and love it just want to be able to customize it my way.

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
Somebody here said it best: It's not really your iPhone until you jailbreak it.

I don't see a reason not to jailbreak.
Very good point. Is it worth the risk though to jailbreak it? Im new to all this and don't want to screw my phone up, I like it too much haha

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Very good point. Is it worth the risk though to jailbreak it? Im new to all this and don't want to screw my phone up, I like it too much haha
The risk is really very little, from my understanding. If something goes wrong and you get stuck, or don't like it, or whatever, you can always restore to remove the jailbreak. Read around in the link Naps posted and just take it slow. I just jb'd for the first time about two weeks ago and going back to stock sounds like pulling teeth! I think even JW is about to break.

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
Thanks for the info. Ive been looking up stuff on how to do it for about 2 weeks now and looks like a good idea.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The risk is really very little, from my understanding. If something goes wrong and you get stuck, or don't like it, or whatever, you can always restore to remove the jailbreak. Read around in the link Naps posted and just take it slow. I just jb'd for the first time about two weeks ago and going back to stock sounds like pulling teeth! I think even JW is about to break.
...and if I jailbreak, just about anyone can jailbreak. My iPhone has been chaste and pure, but it might possibly lose its virginity.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I can sympathize. The first time i jailbroke, I was nervous. But there really isn't anything to be nervous about. Just make sure you back everything up prior to when you jailbreak. Even if it goes horribly wrong, everything is still there. If it doesn't go wrong, you have a jailbroken iPhone. If something goes wrong after you've successfuly jailbroke, and for the sake of argument you have to take the phone somewhere (like Apple), just restore to pre-jailbreak.

Also, because of how easy Comex made this latest jailbreak, there's really no reason not to. My girlfriend is NOT computer savvy like me, but when I told her how easy it was, she did it.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Love my iPhone4 I went and did the jailbreak and bought a software called facebreak for $1.50 in the cydia store and now I can FaceTime over 3G and it's awesome.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
One of the many virtues of jailbreaking...aside from all the themes that you can install, my two favorite apps are LockInfo and biteSMS. Front Contacts is fantastic, but it hasn't been updated for 4.x yet :(