Cutting the cord

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Mrmargatini, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

I love my Apple TV and I use Hulu Plus and Netflix I would like to use the other services but what's the use of it if we have to have cable to use a lot of the apps. I thought Apple was trying to prove we can cut the cord. I would gladly pay $2.99 a month for a lot of these services

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Which apps and what type of cable are you referring to?

3. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

The apps like Disney that was added today. ESPN, and the others. Why not make a deal with them like a la cart

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Googled it and it looks like it also requires a full Time Warner Cable video subscription. No thanks.

5. Mrmargatini

Mrmargatini Contributor
    Bronze

That's just what I mean I wish there was an in app purchase option MLB has it

Sent using iCafe app

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You make an excellent point. So many of the apps like Disney, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, Showtime Anytime, Watch TNT, NBC Sports Live Extra, etc. require that you already have an account with one of the major cable providers. So the app only provides you with what you have already paid for. And, in most cases, the apps are not even compatible with Airplay (though you can always stream them to your big screen with mirroring). Why can't these apps provide me with something I didn't have already. What you are saying is why can't the apps be an alternative to paying for cable.

Sent Using iCafe App

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Dave yourselves headaches and get a Roku 3, much better, recently bought 1, now my ATV2 Jaibroken is on sale.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I guess it all depends upon how you intend to use it. I stream most of my content via Airplay from my iDevices or from iTunes on my computer. Roku would thereforee be of no use to me. Every device has its pros and cons, and the ultimate decision rests upon what the user needs are.

Sent Using iCafe App

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

True but Roku now can AirPlay
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/08/08/play-on-roku/

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You should probably read articles before you quote them. The new app only allows you to Airplay videos stored on your camera roll. It does not work from your computer or from other apps that are streaming video to your iDevice.

Sent Using iCafe App

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Can it Airplay? Yes, but with limitations. I never said anything about third party apps.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

In your desire to engage in a debate about the pros and cons of the Roku or the ATV, You overlook the topic of this thread. Neither device allows the user to very effectively "cut the cord" with their cable provider.

Sent Using iCafe App

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Nah, no debate, I already agree with you, I was only clarifying my link and purpose.

14. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Strangely enough, the network apps (ABC, CBS, NBC) provide some of the best free coverage, without the need for logging into a cable service provider account. Oddly also, sites like PGAtour.com/Live also provide free "untethered" coverage.

Sent Using iCafe App

15. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

Why then that would just put the cable providers out of businesss.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You're kidding, right?!

Sent Using iCafe App