Cydia Impactor - Remove Your Jailbreak Completely and Restore to Your Current Firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Cydia Impactor, will, in the words of Saurik, its developer, revert and remove all changes made to the device and return it to "stock" Apple iOS software without updating to a new version of iOS.

Lost and/or damaged files will be repaired and returned to stock iOS as well, removing the jailbreak completely.

I just ran it on my jailbroken 5s and it seems to have worked perfectly. I ended up back on the initial iPhone activation screen and all went swimmingly from there. Just rejailbroke with TaiG and I'm ready to install tweaks. See? I'm not afraid to climb into holes. :D

This could be a game changer as far as retaining jailbreak capability and keeping the ability to remain on the same iOS firmware version.

Will not work on the 6th generation iPod Touch, as there are no OTAs for that particular device.

Just remember the cardinal rule: make an iTunes backup first.

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Its a milestone for jailbroken devices. Great job done by Saurik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Am unable to find "Cydia Impactor" in cydia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Follow this link and then click "open" in the upper right corner. It will launch the Cydia installation page.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Something I forgot to mention is that this utility only works at the present time for 8.3 and 8.4. Saurik is working on a version that goes back to iOS 8.1.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Testing it with my 6 Plus on 8.4 now.

EDIT: Successful. Completely restored to a clean activation screen. Jailbroke with TaiG and restored from backup, then reinstalled my jailbreak tweaks. This utility is great.

#6 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

If the iphone happens to be under warranty and I use Cydia Impactor before visiting the Apple service centre, then would they be able to detect that my iphone was jailbroken ?

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Probably not. Impactor sets the iPhone back to activation status, removes all jailbreak-related files, and does a Reset All Content and Settings before exiting.

9. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Many thanks Napoleon. I would like to ask, what exactly does the backup contains after "Reset All Content and Settings" is done ?
    Does it backup application data also (such as imessage attachments, etc) ?

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Are you talking about restoring a backup in iTunes? If so, that backup will restore all your messages and most of your apps, app settings, and music. It's pretty complete.

If, on the other hand, you're asking what is left on the phone after Cydia Impactor is finished doing its work, the answer is nothing. It will be as if you just took the phone out of the box new. All you have to do is jailbreak it and restore your backup.

11. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Okay... I have this question in my mind :-

1. I have backed up my jailbroken iphone using itunes.
    2. I use Cydia Impactor to "Reset All Content and Settings".
    Can I restore the backup taken at the time it was jailbroken and visit apple service centre OR should I restore the backup taken before I have jailbroken my iphone ?

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you've used Cydia Impactor, take the phone in as it is right now. Don't restore your backup or rejailbreak your phone until after you visit the Apple service center. And do not let them update your phone's firmware.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@rugved1118, it's fine to use a backup that you made while jailbroken after you get back from the Apple Store. You'll want to use the most recent backup you made because the old ones won't have your current settings, pictures, messages, etc.

Does the phone have a hardware problem?

Be sure not to update the phone in iTunes when you get home since the latest iOS version is not jailbreakable. Select "Restore backup." Do not select "Restore iPhone."
    image.jpg

14. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Is Cydia Impactor also compatible with iOS 7 JB iphones ?

15. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Ok... Just got the info from the Tweak Description that it is compatible with iOS 7.1 through 9.3.3.. So, Is this also now compatible with 10.1.1 ?

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No.

17. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

OK.. in that case, for a situation to unjailbreak a device, do we do (without upgrading the firmware) ?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Reboot.