Cydia keeps crashing

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
Well ever since I updated my flashlite app yesterday in cydia, everytime I open cydia it gets to the loading screen and crashes. Has anyone else experienced this? I really don't want to restore and jailbreak again...

But if I do, if I update to 2.2.1 from 2.2, and re-jailbreak will my current apt backup work?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Well ever since I updated my flashlite app yesterday in cydia, everytime I open cydia it gets to the loading screen and crashes. Has anyone else experienced this? I really don't want to restore and jailbreak again...

But if I do, if I update to 2.2.1 from 2.2, and re-jailbreak will my current apt backup work?
Cydia was crashing for me the other day too... just like you described. Ends up there was a problem with one of the sources...

I posted this at another forum:

I tracked down the problem, for me at least... after searching a bit, I found this:

http://www.telesphoreo.org/ticket/11

So I ran the apt-get install cydia command and it showed me there was a problem with the Touch-Mania source... so I removed all traces (two) of the touch-mania source in the directory the command spit out. All is good now.

Anyone else that's having these crashes, let us know if you also have the touch-mania source installed.
The directory via ssh is /var/lib/apt/lists if I recall correctly. Remove the two files of whatever source the command says are bad... probably touch-mania.

Sahb

Feb 1, 2009
yes, my cydia has been crashing ever since I've updated it. I try to use ssh with apt-get remove cydia, but it tells me that access denied. My ssh has ~iPhone# instead of root saying on the screen. How do I change that?

Sahb

Feb 1, 2009
Sorry correction: my terminal says: "iPhone:~ mobile$ apt-get install cydia
E: unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
iPhone:~ mobile$".....how do I go root?..help please.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Are you using the command through your SSH application after you have connected to your iPhone?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
ever since i re-jailbroke everything works fine, apart from installing anything from cydia, so basically- i got a Jailbroken 2.2.1 iPhone which i cant actually do anything with!

very very annoying

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Sorry correction: my terminal says: "iPhone:~ mobile$ apt-get install cydia
E: unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
iPhone:~ mobile$".....how do I go root?..help please.
And then type in the password. I think it's "Alpine". Then try apt-get install cydia

Sahb

Feb 1, 2009
yes it's working now. I somehow figured it out and got my terminal to go ad root. I typed in login and pressed return then root return then alpine... After that I typed in "apt-get install cydia". It unpacked the files but then it told me that there was something wrong with touch mania directory. So what I did was i went into the cydia plist where all the sources r stored using iPhone browser and carefuly deleted the touchmania URL and anything that touchmania in it. So now my cydia is good as new and thank you. You guys r a lot of help.

Sahb

Feb 1, 2009
What do I need to make my own custom themes?

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Start a new thread about it, and you will recive far more help then asking in this thread ;)

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Seems like a lot of sources are having downtime and errors, Hope they get fixed soon.

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Yepp! I've removed about 10 sources now.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
I noticed it from Monday, couldn't install anything because of no WinterBoard.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I was jailbroke on 3.0 for a while and all of a sudden cydia just stopped working and just crashes seconds after opening. now it's not easy for me to restore so I am wondering if there is any other way to fix it via ssh or something similar. thanks

Jun 12, 2009
you know, i was kinda having the same problem, where cydia would just crash automatically after like 20 seconds after i opened it... but mines was because i didn't have any internet connection, i immidiatley connected to a wifi hopspot and then it was running again...try that and let me know if it works..

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Sounds like you have to do a restore and re-JB. Pretty sure you can't uninstall Cydia and re-install. This happened to my friend and he had to do a restore.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Sounds like you have to do a restore and re-JB. Pretty sure you can't uninstall Cydia and re-install. This happened to my friend and he had to do a restore.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that, but would I be able to restore and keep all my data if I back up and restore?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Well if you are talking about the data that you have gotten from Cydia, no. All other data you will be able to put back onto your phone. Just do a sync of whatever you want to keep on it to back up and then do a restore. Just an FYI, it might make you restore to 3.1.2 but not sure what happens if you don't have the latest firmware and just do a restore instead of an update. I personally always restore from new so there are no lingering problems and manually put everything back on the phone. It's alittle more work but pays off in the end.

To jailbreak 3.1.2 you can use blackra1n.com but is alittle more work with a 3g.