Cydia Store?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
read an article about this today then saw it on the homepage of cydia, any thoughts or comments about this or if it will happen?

i haven't read too much about it, but i have some mixed feelings. i have looked a little bit around but haven't seen a discussion about this yet, but if there already is one i apologize and mods please close or merge.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I read the article through Cydia as well but nothing on EIC.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I have mixed feelings on this too. I'm always in favor of devs getting paid for their hard work and good efforts. I think if you like an app a lot, use it regularly, you should donate if you are able, or pay if the dev puts a price on their app.

But ... paying for jailbreak apps is a little less attractive given the known issues that come with the jailbreak arena. As in, when a major new firmware update comes out, X amount of time will pass before a jailbreak for it emerges. In the meantime, you have to choose whether to keep your JB apps and stay behind the current firmware, or update and temporarily lose your apps. Then even when a jailbreak comes out, it often takes much longer for JB apps to be made to run on a new firmware.

Also, I agree with some of the speculation that this seems like the sort of thing that will get Apple into full-on attack mode against jailbreak. If there is perceived lost revenue for them, they are likely to pump up their efforts to break jailbreak ...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^i agree 1000% with you patrick, well said

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
there's no doubt in my mind, that if 3rd party application's start being purchased, Apple is going to kick off, like patrick said, there revenue will be down. The question is.. who is Apple going to hit out at first..?

i thought the whole part of JB'ing was because it gave you what you wanted and what you didn't want to wait for! For them creating there own store, that has it's ups and downs before we even begin. These apps were made to help people out, and yes i do donate, i think that's more than enough!

This is going to cause more harm than good, whats wrong with the way Cydia is at the minute? yeah maybe a few UI changes, but thats about it!

To finish off, i couldn't agree more with patrickj

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
to add to patricks post, my main thing is the third part he brought up, about Apple coming after this more aggressively if there is revenue based off of it.

i guess what my concern is, if something isn't broke don't fix it. the cydia store seems to be working amazing imo. sure there are some apps that have some bugs and need updating, but for the majority, this thing is flawless. you gotta take a step back from any businesss decision and look at the basis for your next move. if they aren't making money and that is the goal of this "cydia store" then make a post about it on the homepage, that more donating is needed, and i'm sure the response from all of us would be incredible. i donate to apps that i use a lot, because i want them to remain free, but if we need to donate more (or more people need to donate) then we need to know that.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think you just hit the nail on the head!

Good chant bro

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123629876097346481.html

"Aaron Perzanowski, a professor specializing in digital copyright law at the University of California Berkeley School of Law, believes developers have "a pretty good" defense under the DMCA(Digital Millennium Copyright Act) if Apple claims what they're doing is illegal, though it's largely uncharted legal territory.

Cydia Store's Mr. Freeman, who has been on the lookout daily for email from Apple, isn't taking any chances. He says he has lined up a lawyer in case Apple takes legal action. "The overworking goal is to provide choice," he says. "It's understandable that [Apple] wants to control things, but it has been very limiting for developers and users."

It seems Apple has got you all running scared. You seem to forget, we paid hundreds of dollars for this device & we can do whatever we want with it. What's next, car manufacturers taking legal actions against us because we modified our cars with 3rd party parts & not genuine [car manufacturers] parts? Apple has no leg to stand on. Trust me. More 3rd party apps could only help the economy anyways.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
btw...Cydia seems to load A LOT faster now.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So has anybody bought the first app on sale from Cydia?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i have not, the first "pay for" app in the cydia store is Cyntact (adds pictures to your contact list). i really have no use for this app, however if something does come out that is good i will buy it, i just hope Apple doesn't view this as "shots fired" and declare war....

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
i've just bought it, it's quite good, and it works really well, at the minute my contacts look a little messy as i've only got two picture associated contacts (mum and mrs) so the rest are all grey cubes, but i suppose in time it'll look quite presentable

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm gonna be a paparazzi just to fill up my contacts with pictures. I plan on purchasing the mod. Maybe I'll just the visit myspace and facebook to snag some pics of my contacts.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I'm gonna be a paparazzi just to fill up my contacts with pictures. I plan on purchasing the mod. Maybe I'll just the visit myspace and facebook to snag some pics of my contacts.
great idea

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Really, I couldn't care less about the apps the "Cydia Store" is offering. I won't buy a single one, especially considering the reasons that Patrick stated. But, if you think about it, the relationship so far between Apple and the jailbreaking community has been live and let live, really. I'm thinking that's about to change - Apple doesn't want competition. This may very well be the stage in which Apple really begins to wage war on jailbreakers and get it all shut down.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
Well this sucks...sorta.. The hole reason I'm jailbreaking tommoro is so I can get stuff for free.. I'm only interested in winterboard and tethering.. Don't get me wrong I have no problem paying for apps. The majority of what I have from the appstore is paid but that's through iTunes cards... Kinda finiky paying for apps through debit.. Idk just think appstore credits I like

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
paying for third party JB apps is nothing new, guys. Apple has obviously been gearing up for something in regards to jailbreaking, but it is not because these developers are charging for some apps.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I don't see the big deal. There have always been pay jailbreak apps, this is just putting a "storefront" face on the whole thing. I don't think Apple can cry copycat there, when they themselves copied the jailbreak community when designing the Appstore in the first place. Didn't they actually hire Dev team members?

If they're smart, they'll keep up the "live and let live" policy because nothing is really new here.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
So, is Apple going after Jailbreakers in the US or are they going global?