Cydia update extracts and stores ECID file

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like the new Cydia update will extract and store your iPhone's ECID file for you. Just install the new update and click on "make my life easier" and it will extract it.

On a side note ... on my phone I accidentally hit the "no thanks" button and now I can't seem to figure out how to bring the feature back. Any ideas?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Ooops! I was almost going to do the exact same thing but i tapped Make my life easier instead.

Hmmm...maybe try reloading the page again? I've done a search and there are some that have done the same thing and don't know how to get it back either.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I almost did a no thanks too but happened to be reading this thread at the time.

Anyone know where it stores it?

--
Mike

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Thought I should share this with you:

"Jay Freeman (saurik)
to me

show details 3:19 PM (1 minute ago)

I store them on my server, and am working with the various jailbreak teams on being able to have the tools just magically use my server to get what it needs.

Envoyé de mon iPhone"
this was posted by a user on Modmyi

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I did the update in Cydia but when Springboard restarted and I relaunched Cydia, I did not get any prompt of the such....Where did you guys get this option?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I'm wondering if it's just for the 3GS. there were a few posts i read on another forum that said they didn't see the prompt either.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I haven't seen this whatsoever and I've been on cydia most of the day trying a few things out. I'm using a 3G.

So your probably right, it must only be for the 3GS. It's something to look out for though.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
It is for 3Gs only ... and I still can't figure out how to bring the option back!

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Thanks for the tip. Didn't see the option until I let Cydia upgrade and then it appeared. Just did it. I noticed there was text across the top that said "this iPhone 3GS has a pending TSS request" after I clicked make my life easier. I hit reload and the text changed to "this iPhone 3GS has an ECID SHSH on file".

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
It is for 3Gs only ... and I still can't figure out how to bring the option back!
Other users are asking the same on some forums I read. Apparently Saurik has been asked how to get the option back if you refused it the first time. So far haven't seen a solution. Maybe he will come up with something.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If anyone else hit "no thanks" here's the response I got from Saurik on how to fix it ...

"On the bottom of the main page is a paragraph of text. Click the word "developing" (temporary, secret link; am working on a better interface). -j"

It worked great.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
When it extracts it, where does it put it for later use?
The info is stored on Saurik's server when you use the link on Cydia.

If you want to do this yourself and store the files on your phone read THIS thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Hopefully in a couple weeks 3.1 will be out and hopefully good enough to be a must have update. So will this new Cydia feature be useful to those who go 3.1? If you are probably going to 3.1 should you wait till you are able to JB on 3.1, redownload Cydia and then use this new feature?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
It must be an automatic way to jailbreak your phone. Since a stock phone can't load Cydia you must have to have your phone plugged into your PC and then open Cydia on your PC and jailbreak from there.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
From what i read at Modmyi, I believe Saurik is working with the dev team's on a way to retrieve the ECID from his sever during the jailbreak process.

"Jay Freeman (saurik)
to me

show details 3:19 PM (1 minute ago)

I store them on my server, and am working with the various jailbreak teams on being able to have the tools just magically use my server to get what it needs.

Envoyé de mon iPhone"

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
When I let Cydia update it brought up an error that it couldn't connect to a webpage and I never saw the "make my life easier" prompt.

how do I ensure that my phone doesn't upgrade to 3.1?

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
When you open Cydia on your iPhone you should see the 'make my life easier' section.

To not go to 3.1: Never use the check for updates button in iTunes. Even if you do check for updates you still have the option to cancel. So it's not an automatic upgrade forced by Apple.;)