D5 All Things Digital Conference

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I totally agree with you. I can't see them unveiling a lot of new info at D5. WWDC is bigger and I think they will definitely release most of the new info at that conference.
I'm sure we'll all be poring over the transcript to look for any nuance of a clue. :laugh2:

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I really don't picture Microsoft and Palm making huge announcements concerning new products without Steve Jobs being prepared with a reply worthy of stealing the spotlight. For some reason, I just don't picture "Apple TV is doing great, and iPhone is right on schedule for a late June release!" Is sufficient to keep Apple in the spotlight at D5. I think that we will hear the most solid information to date about iPhone's release by the end of D5. Steve Jobs doesn't seem like the type who likes the spotlight taken from him...IMHO.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
But he seems rather subdued in the Keynote Address video. I don't know, maybe he's the quiet kid that likes to have all the answers at the end.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Couple of updates...

Microsoft will unveil their "Surface" technology and Palm will introduce Foleo -- a keyboard/screen combo that works with a number of "host" smartphones allowing you to read/write email, edit docs on a large screen.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Couple of updates...

Microsoft will unveil their "Surface" technology and Palm will introduce Foleo -- a keyboard/screen combo that works with a number of "host" smartphones allowing you to read/write email, edit docs on a large screen.
both are interesting but neither are WHOA! i HAVE TO HAVE ONE products.

i was over at a palm/treo message board and they're yawning at the Foleo.

the one that has true potential is the 'surface'. let's be honest here, microsoft gets into everyone's homes. this could be the future of personalized computing in the next several years. for now i'll have to go to a t-mobile store or harrah's to check it out?

it's going to be funny watching palm and microsoft put on this dog and pony show for their products and all steve jobs has to do is walk up on stage point to a screen that says "JUNE XX" and the place will go wild. he won't even have to say a word.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
it's going to be funny watching palm and microsoft put on this dog and pony show for their products and all steve jobs has to do is walk up on stage point to a screen that says "JUNE XX" and the place will go wild. he won't even have to say a word.
So true...

tompayne

Bronze
Apr 12, 2007
this page has updated twice today, though i don't know when jobs speaks. funny that ballmer bashes the iPhone, and there will be no microsoft phone... i don't know what he was comparing it too, hopefully not just wm5-6..

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
That's what I thought... why not bring a laptop which does much more if you're going to have to haul something that big around anyway? A 12-inch iBook isn't much bigger (for example).

The instant-power thing is nice but I'd imagine that'll be coming soon to more laptops as well. It's only a matter of time before Apple introduces Flash-based notebooks. Also, one of the rumors of Leopard was saving the contents of ram, so if your machine crashed (say a power outage), when it booted back up it was right where you left it.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
surface seems pretty interesting...if kinda unapplicable in most cases. id like to hear more.

but what i really want to hear is the iPhone release date! (duh)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
JOBS Live from D 2007

(Hopefully there is more than this)

Steve Jobs live from D 2007

Posted May 30th 2007 3:17PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Features

Steve Jobs is up here in just a few, everybody. It looks like we can probably prepare ourselves for an update on the iTunes shift to no-DRM, the status of the iPhone, and whatever else is on El Jobso's mind. It's all on Mossberg, so hopefully he'll drill down deep to the topics we hold near and dear. Stay close, you'll know when it gets underway! (Note: Walt's questions are in bold.)

12:17pm - Here we go! Ladies and gentleman, Steve Jobs!

Thanks for the joint session with Gates... let me ask you an odd question, you've changed the name of Apple, so what businesss is Apple?

We're in two businesses today, we'll be very shortly in three businesss and a hobby. One is our Mac businesss, second is our music businesss, third businesss is the phone businesss, handsets. And the hobby is Apple TV. The reason I call it a hobby is a lot of people have tried and failed to make it a businesss. It's a businesss that's hundreds of thousands of units per year but it hasn't crested to be millions of units per year, but I think if we improve things we can crack that.

12:20pm - You have something to show related to Apple TV today... in your first couple of appearances I asked you -- you got good reviews on the Macs, bu tthe needle on the share didn't move.

We all use Macs at Apple, we love the mac. We think we make the best notebooks in the world, we think we make the best computers in the world. We've always been a little ahead, I can see a time where notebooks are 80-90% of what we sell. We continue to improve our OS -- we had a big release that we didn't get too much credit for... the OS X product line to Intel. It was very seameless for the customers. The growth that we've seen since the Intel transition has been about 3x the market growth rate.

12:22pm - ... And your market share is what?

If you measure it worldwide it's like 3%. If you measure it in the US it's like 5-6%... if you look at US notebook sales it's like 12%. If you look at US retail we have double-digit market share... but we can't really calculate the consumer market share.

12:23pm - Funny question: this is your gradual exit out of the computer businesss with the name change?

No. If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it.

12:24pm - Are you planning some big new iPod model post-iphone?

EDIT:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/live/steve-jobs-at-d-now-264586.php
WM Coming out end of june, last day?
SJ Uh yeah.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
12:20 p.m.: The growth Apple has seen since the Intel transition, Jobs says, has been three times typical market growth worldwide. In the U.S., it’s nearly five times.
Walt to Jobs: When you changed your name to Apple Inc., people wondered if Apple was exiting the personal computer businesss. Is it? Jobs says no and stresses Apple’s commitment to the PC businesss, touts Apple’s forthcoming Leopard operating system.
12:25 p.m.: Jobs says Apple is on track to ship iPhone in late June as planned.
Walt: Like the last day of June?
Jobs: (Laughs) Yeah, probably.
Why did Cingular agree to the iPhone deal? Jobs explains that there were two reasons: Music on phones hasn’t been very successful so far. With the iPod, users can do that. Second: Companies have spent a lot of money building these 3G networks, but they don’t have the consumer devices to really use them. Jobs says today’s cellphones deliver a “baby Internet” experience. Presumably, iPhone will deliver the “big boy Internet” experience
Looks like we have a date...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Engadget and Macworld had different transcriptions... Jobs didn't offer much either way:

When are you planning to ship? Like the last day of June? It will be available in volume?
Late June... I hope not! I hope so!

Macworld:

"You haven't updated the iPod in a while," Mossberg noted.

"We're working on the best iPods that we've ever done, and they're awesome," said Jobs.

Turning his attention to Apple's hotly anticipated iPhone, Jobs said that Apple is on track to deliver them in late June. "I think we'll ship a lot of them," he added. "Will it be enough? I don't know. I hope not."

Jobs admitted that Apple is a new player in the cell phone businesss, saying "We're newcomers. People have forgotten more than we know about this." Pushed by Mossberg to introduce new features at D: All Things Digital, however, Jobs refused.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
yeesh! i hope that the "i hope so" in reference to the volume was just a wink wink joke.

the only other information that is of any value to know is the following:

- wifi connection: once you connect to a wifi port (i.e. enter password if necessary) the phone will automatically connect to it from here on out.

- there will be no iTunes store on the iPhone. all downloaded material will be done on the desktop and synced to the iPhone

- is open to 3rd party apps but is still very concerned about security and the iPhone not crashing. needs more looking into as to how to balance the two.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
1:08pm - You don't have a video service for the iPhone...

Sure we do... it's iTunes. Not over the air. People have tried it with music and it's failed. Part of the reason that it's failed is the phone isn't the best place for discovering music or browsing catalogues. Then there's the cost of wireless vs. terrestrial internet. Then you get it on your phone you have to sync it back to your PC... we've got 100m iPods we've sold that people know how to sync, they know how to buy music on iTunes.

1:09pm - So you have no plans to put any version of the iTunes store on the iPhone itself despite the fact that you have a big screen and non-baby OS?

We certainly have nothing to announce today.
IMO, i wouldn't rule out the possibility of iTunes being made available on the iPhone. To me it sounds like he might be waiting to make this announcement...maybe WWDC?