DailyTech: iPhone buyers, no you can't have a wi-fi only plan

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
http://www.dailytech.com/iPhone+Buyers+No+You+Cant+Have+a+WiFionly+Plan/article7683.htm

Found this blog on DailyTech's website
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Apple iPhone will carry unique voice-and-data plan -- businesss customers forced to stand in line as well

If you hadn't already suffered sticker-shock from the iPhone's $599 pricetag, thrown a fit about the two-year contract minimum, or raised a fuss about it being AT&T exclusive hardware for anywhere from one to five years - well, brace yourselves, because that's just the beginning of what it will cost...."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the above link to read on.:oops:

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
argh!

I am a college student. I have wifi network at home, I have wifi at school. I am rarely not near a wifi internet connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
until it's confirmed on release day, blogs a pretty crappy source of information. "An anonymous AT&T store rep..." Yeh, great. I refuse to get worked up about something that may be a non-issue.

pdirish

Apr 26, 2007
argh!

I am a college student. I have wifi network at home, I have wifi at school. I am rarely not near a wifi internet connection.
The design of the iPhone is first a cell phone. Second, it has Apple OS specific for the device. WiFi is will be a tool of convienence when a cell signal is not available. Understand this, the data plan required for the iPhone will be a cost that has a residual payment to Apple. That's why it's speculated you won't get the full features of the phone without a data plan. Since you currently have a macbook with wifi capabilties, have ever considered VOIP instead of a cell phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
The design of the iPhone is first a cell phone. Second, it has Apple OS specific for the device. WiFi is will be a tool of convienence when a cell signal is not available. Understand this, the data plan required for the iPhone will be a cost that has a residual payment to Apple. That's why it's speculated you won't get the full features of the phone without a data plan. Since you currently have a macbook with wifi capabilties, have ever considered VOIP instead of a cell phone?

Its Wifi first, EDGE second. Thats why it switches automatically when their is a wifi signal present. Thats why it would be stupid from them to charge $40 a month for their shitty EDGE network when more and more open wifi spots are springing up over the world

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Its Wifi first, EDGE second. Thats why it switches automatically when their is a wifi signal present. Thats why it would be stupid from them to charge $40 a month for their shitty EDGE network when more and more open wifi spots are springing up over the world
IAWTP.
Let's keep in mind that just because Steve Jobs is new to the cellular market, he's still an innovator and he runs a very "next gen tech" company. This sounds more reasonable to me. Soon enough, all your wireless devices will actually have WiFi data adapters in them, I suspect.

EDIT: But, then again, with the expansion of WiFi as an option for data transfer, this starts to widdle away at the average monthly payments made by the end consumer. Thus, cell companies make less.....hmmm, I dunno which way this would or could go...

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I refuse to get worked up about something that may be a non-issue.
Well said!

Heck, I don't get worked up period. This supposed to be fun and for me it's a lot of fun. I don't take anything that seriously. Why not have fun?

Finally while it's high tech today, it will be obsolete just as fast as Samsung or other MFG produces the next "biggerbetterfastersmootherclearervideostreamingmusicplayingphone".

And that...(a phone) is all it is......

Remember everyone, "It's only a phone".......:cool:

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
Well said!

Heck, I don't get worked up period. This supposed to be fun and for me it's a lot of fun. I don't take anything that seriously. Why not have fun?

Finally while it's high tech today, it will be obsolete just as fast as Samsung or other MFG produces the next "biggerbetterfastersmootherclearervideostreamingmusicplayingphone".

And that...(a phone) is all it is......

Remember everyone, "It's only a phone".......:cool:
Actually is not just a phone, it's a government plot to keep track of all of us why else would they have made it so cool that every body wants one.....:sick:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I thought we were done with the GPS rumors? C'mon...if there was another surprise THAT big, it would have been leaked by now.

Yeah, any other "bonus features" at this point, will be software-related, i'm sure. The phone has been "built", physically, for 5 months now...
Un-announced Bonus feature: "Shop Ringtones" (AT&T Mall)

L A M E
haha

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I remember back in February and March there was a rumor about a discounted data plan because of the expensive price of the phone. Guess that turned out to be a little off.;)

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I think all sources of information have potential to be good sources.

If they are right.....Yay!
If they are wrong... hey at least it was entertaining......:p

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Those of you who had plans to use wifi only, remember that in most states it's illegal to access a network not belonging to you without permission, whether it is open or not. This includes wifi at coffee shops and the like, where making a purchase is considered tantamount to receiving permission.

People have been arrested and fined for it, and the fines far exceed the cost of paying for a data plan.

School, public, and home wifi is fine, but private networks are not necessarily okay to use. Just food for thought. I don't know if Apple thought that through when they added the wifi but it's becoming an increasingly large problem nationwide.