Damn, I hate to do this, but question for V1 to 3G converts

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Probably covered 1,0000 x but...my local Apple store has them back in stock and I've been going back and forth about retiring mine and getting a 3G. For those that have done so are you happy about the switch? Other than faster internet what differences are most noticeable? Voice quality, lagging keyboard, signal strength, battery life compared to version 1?

Please, just some basic insight for those that had both. I've read and searched and am on the fence about getting a 16Gig 3G tomorrow morning or waiting to "see what's next".

Thanks

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
You gotta upgrade especially with the bonus loyalty upgrade for V1 owners. It's only $199/$299 for 8GB/16GB. Google maps is way better with GPS pinpointing for location services etc. Most of all the 3G is really needed to use a data intensive device like the iPhone. On the V1 Edge iPhone you cant even receive calls while using edge, it's like dial up. I am amazed that even with the bad bars/reception I am testing at the fastest data speeds I have ever seen on any AT&T 3G device, its insane fast like 550-1250kbps. Usually the 3G on other AT&T phones will be like 300-600kbps. They must have either really revved up their 3G network for the release or the iPhone is just amazingly optimized for the network because even with these low bars/perceived bad reception I am getting blazing fast 3G. Also really like the tapered edges and all black casing. Only the thing the V1 has on the 3G is it is a tad slimmer and definitely not as W I D E.

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
i think the 3g is way better than the old one. it has all the same features plus more, the smooth back feels really nice. my favorite thing is the gps ability, the internet speed is pretty good too.

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
How much wider is it? Mine spends a lot of time in a dress shirt pocket :laugh2:

Thanks for the input guys, keep 'em coming

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I put both my phones side by side and its about 1 mm thicker...you don't notice it unless you put them on top of each other.

About the phones, having 3G has been a life saver. Going on the internet on EDGE was a pain in the ass! It is much faster than I expected.

I have, over the last couple of days, noticed that I do get lag though going from the home screen to text and to my contacts...not that big of a deal though

netsyd

Sep 9, 2007
Colorado
www.steili.com
For me its been the added speed of 3G and the included GPS. Big difference makers for me. I also love the way it feels in your hand.

Things I don't like - 2.0 is crap. Its very laggy... not so much unstable for me, just gets sloooow on some actions (like the contacts list).

Would I do it again? Yup. Without thinking twice.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
515kps/63kps with 2/5 bars of signal. Be on the phone and look up something on the web. Most jailbreak apps are moving to 2.0+ from what I'm hearing and dropping 1.1.4-. Couldn't care about the back as I always used a leather case for both iPhones. My friend has the (aparently) same GPS on his iPhone 1 with Tmobile. Jailbroken of course. He has iSLSK now but I have to wait for it. (think limewire)

All-in-all I'd still prefer my white 16g 3g to my 8g v.1 and they're both jailbroken.

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
;) Love the avatar. Scotch, 2 ice cubes. Having Micheal Couvreur that way as I type this.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Happy happy joy joy, happy joy joy.

Yes. I like mine.