Darn EJECT!

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
OK I finally got Handbrake to work for me. Now I need to make the backup DVD, but I can't get my original DVD to eject. Eject button doesn't work, ejecting though DVD player doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OK I finally got Handbrake to work for me. Now I need to make the backup DVD, but I can't get my original DVD to eject. Eject button doesn't work, ejecting though DVD player doesn't work. Any suggestions?
Have you tried rebooting the computer? Or will that mess up your DVD creation?

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
There is usually a small hole near the eject button. If you stick a paper clip into it the DVD will eject.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
There is usually a small hole near the eject button. If you stick a paper clip into it the DVD will eject.
Not on the Unibody Macbook. I guess I could reboot but this seems to happen every time so I was just hoping it was something I was missing and not an issue with the computer.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ah, another classic example of the "no external buttons" policy Apple seems to love coming back to bite the end user. I can't tell you how many times I've had to shove my pinky finger in the G5 towers at work to eject an errant DVD drive. That's right, the button is there on the drive (of course, since it's standard PC parts), but Apple covers it up with a fascade. So silly to me. But I digress.

I would do the Disk Utility -> eject disc thing. If that doesn't work, you probably have to quit whatever apps might be using the drive, or perhaps even force-quit (as I often have to do with Jam at work).

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Thanks everyone I was able to eject after reboot, but I can't believe that the simple "eject" button can't just work consistently. I'm sorry it eludes me why common sense isn't working.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you can also force eject by holding down the mouse button while booting up. this usually works if everything else is giving you trouble.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Another thing you can try for the future is sometimes those little felt like things that protect the inside get a little messed up. It's hard to describe be half might be inside while the other half is out and just looks a little out of line. Just take something small and run it through and straighten it out. I had this happen once and that is exactly what they did to fix it at the Apple store. I hope that makes sense...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Another thing you can try for the future is sometimes those little felt like things that protect the inside get a little messed up. It's hard to describe be half might be inside while the other half is out and just looks a little out of line. I hope that makes sense...
You might wanna check what you wrote, I don't know what you're talking about.