Dashboard widgets on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 10, 2007
So assuming that for some reason Apple just can't get widgets originally made for OS X to work on the iPhone (I don't know why they can't, but let's assume it for now), then I'd like to see them release a dev tool to convert OS X widgets into iphone-friendly widgets. That way the devs can port their widgets and then submit them to Apple to be uploaded to iTunes.

Through the submission process Apple can make sure the new widget will not make your iPhone esplode before releasing it to the public.

Then in iTunes, you would just download your widgets from the iTunes store into a new Widgets section of your library. Finally, when you sync your iPhone, you have a new Widgets tab where you can choose which widgets to sync.

Of course, you'd also need a new button on your home screen to access your Widget library.

Thoughts?

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Widgets

I'm thinking this should be a natural progression. It might be something Apple is doing to keep iPhone new and exciting, or maybe that technology just wasn't perfect yet when it was released. I just have to think that Apple has a lot of great things planned for iPhone and i'm anxious to see the next great thing.

kilr-ryd

Jul 15, 2007
what the fuk does Apple care, I paid my hard earned money for it I shud be able to download what I want and download 3rd part widgets be it a virus, its our risk to take. One thing I hate about my iPhone. It wud have been a marvelous product if not for these issues which really are irritating...

Have certified developers do the coding this way nothing goes wrong..a lot of stupid mistakes made by steve here..

Jul 10, 2007
what the fuk does Apple care, I paid my hard earned money for it I shud be able to download what I want and download 3rd part widgets be it a virus, its our risk to take. One thing I hate about my iPhone. It wud have been a marvelous product if not for these issues which really are irritating...

Have certified developers do the coding this way nothing goes wrong..a lot of stupid mistakes made by steve here..
Perhaps, but nothing surprising - it is the Apple way: safety, simplicity, etc. They care about it because it reflects on the brand and its reputation. Obviously I'm hoping Apple will take the route above, but you might have to wait for the ZunePhone to download viruses. ;)