Dat screen...

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by psylichon, Sep 27, 2012.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I think Apple really undersold this new screen on the iPhone 5. Everyone got so hung up on the size and dimensions that no one seems to be discussing how much the screen has improved in almost every other area.

1. Brightness. It's crazy bright now. So much so that I have turned off Autobright because I feel it errs on the bright side. I actually preferred the old way that Autobright worked, but I understand why they changed it.

2. Colors. They pop like crazy. I don't even have my 4 around to compare side by side, but I can still tell the difference. Colors are just much, much richer and more defined.

3. Black levels. Using the phone indoors with old apps not yet formatted for the new screen, it's very hard to tell where the bezel ends and the letterboxing begins. Incredible contrast.

4. Glare. My iPhone is actually useable in direct sunlight now! You don't even need to crank the brightness anymore. It just looks like a sheet of paper. I really wish they had this technology in the iPad3 now. It's remarkable.

5. "Float". Hard to explain, but removing that extra layer of glass by incorporating the touchscreen into the LCD just makes it feel like it's floating. It's an experience I haven't quite felt since the first iPhone, whose screen also appeared very flush. I love it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I have to agree with everything the OP mentioned. The screen is truly a work of art. I simply don't know how they'll improve it aside from making it bigger (if that's even an improvement!).

3. psylichon

psylichon Genius

One thing that seems to be "worse" than the 4/4S screen is the viewing angle. It does get a bit dark from the sides. But from a privacy point of view, I actually see that as a positive.

4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Funny I seem this thread I was just lowering the screen brightness from halfway to even lower its so bright.