Data base on the iPhone

RGabriele

Aug 13, 2008
So can the web database reside locally on the phone?
Always want access to it, even when no cell signal, and only one person using it!

You can either use Instant Web Publishing, which mimics the GUI of the database you build in FileMaker -- it works pretty well, there are a few drawbacks to it, but it is, well, instant. There is also custom web publishing, and you can use PHP or XML/XLST. If you want to roll your own, i.e., PHP and MySQL, that certainly will work. Just design for the screen size.

FMWebschool

Sep 20, 2008
FMTouch requires FileMaker 8 and 9, but does not require that you have Advanced. FMWebschool has provided a free online tool for everyone that does not have Filemaker Advanced.

http://www.fmtouch.com/DDR

This will enable individuals to generate DDR's (Database Design Report) without FileMaker Advanced.

In Kindness
Stephen Knight

eudaldbruc

Dec 17, 2008
HanDBase for iPhone

I am an old palm user, and an old Apple user. I have used database software on both platforms. With Appleworks on the Apple II and the Mac. HanDbase on the Palm. I would really like to do database applications on the iPhone. Has anyone heard how to do that. Has anyone heard if Appleworks will be ported to the iPhone. That would be great.
Do you know HanDBase for iPhone?: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPhone.html?plat=iPhone

labrat0508

Jan 2, 2009
This is where I wish I was geek enough to know how to build something like this. :laugh2:
haha... don't we all...

this forum is great by the way. i have been looking for a db prog for backend purposes of an app i want to write and all of the info everyone has posted has been great! thank you for all your help everyone

ddhsoftware

Jan 6, 2009
From the above conversation, it seems OK to plug your own solution, at least when it applies to the subject at hand. Our application HanDBase has been around since 1998 on the Palm OS. We were and still are very popular on Palm OS, Windows Mobile, s60 and even BlackBerry. We won many awards for best database on both Palm and Windows Mobile platforms over those years. Our iPhone version was released in October and has been very popular and so far well reviewed.

HanDBase is fully relational, supports filters, views, sorting, searching, and supports database creation right on the iPhone or iPod touch. We include a desktop connect feature so you can backup/export/transfer your data between your desktop/laptop and your phone. And we offer solutions for syncing and editing on the desktop as well.

I hope you'd check us out and let me know what you think! We're actively working on adding new features like camera support, GPS, and custom forms to our program as well among other things. Hope you'll like the program!

Here's a link: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/iPhone

Blessings,

Dave Haupert

astroman009

Jan 6, 2009
HanDBase question

Wanted to confirm something about HanDBase for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I've been a long time user of it on the Palm and have a bunch of databases there.

If I purchase it for the IPT (the $10 app from iTunes), does it include the ability to transfer over my many Palm HanDBase databases? I think it does, given the blurb I found buried in the user's guide about desktop connect, but nowhere could I find a statement on your web pages about easy transfer of Palm databases.

Or am I wrong about this and will have to buy the Mac Desktop program--or even wait until the revised Mac desktop program comes out?

(I would suggest that you clear this up on your program info pages-- spell out that transfers are possible and how to do it. I would have bought the IPT version of HanDBase a month ago, but there were no statements assuring me that transfers of Palm databases could be done.)

I take it, also, that my current HanDBase desktop app that I used with the Palm is of no use with the IPT. Is that right? (Actually, I could use it I suppose to convert Palm databases into CSV files.)

In any event, I was pleased to discover late in the fall that HanDBase was available for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It's been a gem of a program for me for years on the Palm!

ddhsoftware

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for asking! I know you're not the first to ask this and we did answer this on our FAQ pages, but it's obviously not easy enough to find. I'll see what we can do to make it more prominent.

You're correct about the Desktop Connect feature- that is a tool to let you connect your iPhone HanDBase and your desktop (mac, PC or Linux) to transfer databases and import and export CSV files. So in theory you don't need a desktop counterpart to do those basic things and that is included in the 9.99 app itself.

The add-on desktop packages are if you want to do more, like viewing and editing of databases on the desktop. The version you have for your Palm will work with the databases just as well as the 'iPhone version'. That is, until the enhanced one comes out and we offer a two way sync conduit for Mac. This is already available on the PC, and something I'm writing now for the Mac. But as of now, you have everything you need already with the Mac desktop for Palm, should you buy the iPhone app. Hope you like it!

Wanted to confirm something about HanDBase for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I've been a long time user of it on the Palm and have a bunch of databases there.

If I purchase it for the IPT (the $10 app from iTunes), does it include the ability to transfer over my many Palm HanDBase databases? I think it does, given the blurb I found buried in the user's guide about desktop connect, but nowhere could I find a statement on your web pages about easy transfer of Palm databases.

Or am I wrong about this and will have to buy the Mac Desktop program--or even wait until the revised Mac desktop program comes out?

(I would suggest that you clear this up on your program info pages-- I would have bought it a month ago, but assurances about transferring Palm databases was unspecified.)

I take it, also, that my current HanDBase desktop app that I used with the Palm is of no use with the IPT. Is that right? (Actually, I could use it I suppose to convert Palm databases into CSV files.)

In any event, I was pleased to discover late in the fall that HanDBase was available for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It's a gem of a program.

astroman009

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for the prompt, friendly, helpful reply! It's a hallmark of your company and the quality of your products.

I had checked the FAQs before-- and just checked again at this page.

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?app=handbaseiPhone&typ=FAQ

I must be dense or blind or both! I hadn't seen anything there about transferring Palm databases to the iPhone/IPT. I had read the one about the Mac Desktop conduit, but it never comes out and says "Your Palm databases can be transferred directly to the iPhone/IPT". It mentions CSV files and accessing your data, so I suppose that covers it!

I'd recommend a sentence in the app's main web page about Palm transfer-- and having an additional question is FAQ that would be "How do I transfer my Palm databases to the iPhone/IPT?".

In any event, it's just great to have confirmation that the connect mode will allow me to transfer my old databases. I'm off to buy the app-- well after I have lunch first (have to feed the personal system first! Ha! Ha!).

Thanks much again--and it's a privilege getting a response from one of the programmars!

astroman009

Jan 6, 2009
Back after buying the app. Just tried the connect mode. I'm able to connect and download one of the databases that came with the iPhone app. But the uploads are failing--both pdb and CSV. Do I have to be using HanDBase for the Palm 4 for this to work? I have 3, but use 2.75e as I preferred its interface. But I would think that CSVs should work... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Added titles to the CSV; that's now working. But the HDB 2.75e databases are not transferring over. Alas! Is there a workaround? I'd hate to have to convert all the old databases to CSV!

ddhsoftware

Jan 6, 2009
You're neither, just correct! I have to apologize, I just checked and noticed that it never mentions the word Palm when it talks about using Desktop Connect to transfer databases to the device. It's covered in detail in the User Guide but just says that you can transfer databases from your desktop to the device. I'm going to have a new FAQ added to cover how to transfer databases from your Palm, Windows Mobile device, etc so this has better coverage available. Thanks for letting me know about this!

Thanks for the prompt, friendly, helpful reply! It's a hallmark of your company and the quality of your products.

I had checked the FAQs before-- and just checked again at this page.

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?app=handbaseiPhone&typ=FAQ

I must be dense or blind or both! I hadn't seen anything there about transferring Palm databases to the iPhone/IPT. I had read the one about the Mac Desktop conduit, but it never comes out and says "Your Palm databases can be transferred directly to the iPhone/IPT". It mentions CSV files and accessing your data, so I suppose that covers it!

I'd recommend a sentence in the app's main web page about Palm transfer-- and having an additional question is FAQ that would be "How do I transfer my Palm databases to the iPhone/IPT?".

In any event, it's just great to have confirmation that the connect mode will allow me to transfer my old databases. I'm off to buy the app-- well after I have lunch first (have to feed the personal system first! Ha! Ha!).

Thanks much again--and it's a privilege getting a response from one of the programmars!

ddhsoftware

Jan 6, 2009
Wow, you've really been around a long time- 2.75 is over 5 years old! We added support for version 3 and version 4 HanDBase formats to iPhone but skipped v2 (and v1) to keep the program size down. The 2.75 databases are not recognized by the program or Desktop Connect. The good news is that they are quite easy to update to v3 format with your v3 desktop. Just open the 2.75 database with the HanDBase3 desktop and it will update it for you. Select File, Save as and save it to a new location. Then install that to your device. No need to convert to CSV and back, though that would also work.

The only hiccups with conversions we've seen is when someone is converting a database with link or linked fields and doesn't have the other database file in the same path. Since the two tables are related and rely on each other for information, they must both be present in the same folder so it can find the info it needs to convert it.

Let me know if you run into any further problems with this!

Back after buying the app. Just tried the connect mode. I'm able to connect and download one of the databases that came with the iPhone app. But the uploads are failing--both pdb and CSV. Do I have to be using HanDBase for the Palm 4 for this to work? I have 3, but use 2.75e as I preferred its interface. But I would think that CSVs should work... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Added titles to the CSV; that's now working. But the HDB 2.75e databases are not transferring over. Alas! Is there a workaround? I'd hate to have to convert all the old databases to CSV!

astroman009

Jan 6, 2009
Dave, thanks so much for hanging in there with me on this! Yes, I go way back with HanDBase! :)

Alas, I just tried both HanDBase Desktop 3.0 and 3.5 and *neither* recognizes the 2.75e database file! The error message I get in 3.5 is "Not a HanDBase database file".

And I just discovered that the problem with transferring the CSV files is that they come over to the IPT with all fields as text and without any formulas or pop menus! :-(

Clearly, the best bet here is if I can figure out how to get the desktop 3.5 to convert the 2.75 database. Maybe I need to do that on the Palm itself...

ddhsoftware

Jan 6, 2009
That sure does seem odd! I have converted many databases using the desktop. Just to make sure, try to open the file use the File Open, and select Browse and browse to it. I'd also suggest downloading the latest and greatest version (3.75) for the 3.x- you should be able to get it from our registered user's section (top right of any page). If it still does not open/convert, then perhaps you can send one to our support team: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mail.html

make sure to put a note to have them forward to me so I can take a look myself. We'll get these converted!

Dave, thanks so much for hanging in there with me on this! Yes, I go way back with HanDBase! :)

Alas, I just tried both HanDBase Desktop 3.0 and 3.5 and *neither* recognizes the 2.75e database file! The error message I get in 3.5 is "Not a HanDBase database file".

And I just discovered that the problem with transferring the CSV files is that they come over to the IPT with all fields as text and without any formulas or pop menus! :-(

Clearly, the best bet here is if I can figure out how to get the desktop 3.5 to convert the 2.75 database. Maybe I need to do that on the Palm itself...

astroman009

Jan 6, 2009
Well, tried 3.75 (desktop is still 3.5 in that one, albeit a month or two later!). No luck! It doesn't like the old databases. But I solved this by installing HanDBase 3 onto the SONY Clie and converted all the databases. They now can be read by the desktop app, transfer over directly to the iPod Touch, and work fine! (I was initially thrown because I ended up with an astronomy database that had many blank records in it-- turns out that they were divider blank lines I had inserted at one point and with certain sorting they all ended up at the top. Whew!)

So, that's all settled nicely! Thank you, thank you.

One question... the font size in HanDBase on the IPT is small to my aging eyes! I hope that you all will be implementing a font size option for the record display. (And preferably that it use a popup numeric control rather than the slider which seems hard to operate--e.g., field width... I have trouble with Apple's Brightness slider, too, so this is a general issue.)

Or maybe, I missed a font size setting in HDB on the IPT?

Again, much appreciate the incredible customer service! A great testament to DDH Software and your personal efforts. Thanks!