Data Overage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alexander, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Alexander

Alexander Zealot
    Gold

Well, this may of been a mistake that I could of prevented using common sense - but there may be someone else out there who did the same and is going to get a large bill as I am. Before I got my iPhone, my previous phone had unlimited texting for $19.99. When I got my iPhone on iDay, I didn't worry about the 200 texts included in the iPhone data plan, because I thought my unlimited plan would "stick". After all, why would AT&T want to DOWNSIZE my plan without permission?

Well I have continued regular texting habits, and logged onto my AT&T account only to find my unlimited plan was removed, and I've far exceeded my 200 text messages.

This first bill is now going to hurt worse with this in addition to the $36.00 activation fee!

2. Mustangous

Mustangous New Member
    Bronze

If you call and tell them they could change your plan for you, but when you activated your phone it asked you if you wanted to upgrade the text plan....

3. Alexander

Alexander Zealot
    Gold

Overage

UPDATE: I'm currently 228 messages over and counting until AT&T's add feature system will continue working.

4. mernst

mernst New Member
    Silver

I got everything for my iPhone the unlimited messages and internet use... plus the 60 iPhone plan... so My bill is at round 120.oo so yeah I love it...

5. Alexander

Alexander Zealot
    Gold

I guess I missed that because I had already thought my plan was upgraded. I'm not trying to say this wasn't my fault really, just letting people know since I guess anyone can make the mistake.

6. Mustangous

Mustangous New Member
    Bronze

Have you called them? They can retroactive the message plan. They have done it for me with minutes in the past.
    goodluck...

how do you know how many texts you have? I tried the *data#, but tells me not currently available...

7. Alexander

Alexander Zealot
    Gold

I went to my account on the AT&T website, and clicked my number and it gave me 200 of 200 messages used, but no overage number. I texted the number you said you tried and it gave me "overage messages: 228".

8. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

woah. Not good. The lady I called said it wouldn't start until next month.

9. alb0zf1n3st

alb0zf1n3st New Member
    Silver

oh damn not good is rite

10. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member
    Bronze

Just call them. Im sure you can work it out.

11. RyanFavre

RyanFavre New Member
    Bronze

call them and upgrade your text plan before the billing month is over and you won't be charged for text message overage. Atleast thats how it worked for me a couple years ago when i was a cingular costumer and got addicted to texting/aim on my cellphone.

12. tfg

tfg New Member

I used to not have a text plan on my old phone and paid the 10 cents per message. Well one month, I had something like 300 text messages and the following month I had like 700. So in a 2 month span, I had $100 of texts. I was pissed so I had the message starter plan put on for $5 which included 200. That was a lot better and I sometimes went over but it wasn't that bad.

So I was thinking about it all week the week the phone came out if I was going to get the 200 message or 1500. I went higher, because I figured like this. With the 200 message plan the additional over 200 are 5 cents per message. So I could do 400 messages for $30 bucks ($20 plus 200 times .05), or 1500 for $30 if I just got that plan. While I know that I probably will never come close to 1500, I know that I may come close to 400. It's been 2.5 weeks, and I bet I'm at around 75-100. There's days where I can rattle off 40-50.

It's just a good feeling to know that I have unlimited data and practically unlimited texts.

13. danipoak

danipoak Member
    Silver

Its too late now but im calling att tomorrow. but on my usage summary online it says i have over 100mb data usage under the overage category. not sure why this is seeing as they make you pay for unlimited usage. has anyone else here had this problem im curious?

14. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

there must be a mistake in that... talk to them you should be unlimited, this might have got messed up if you tried to change your own text plan online, this is a mistake that is made often...

15. danipoak

danipoak Member
    Silver

never tried to change it, since day one of having it i have paid for 1500 texts a month. i figure its a mistake, at least i sure hope so cause if its not thats like $3000 in overage charges! now thats money i don't have! they also are saying on the usage that in the last 5 days ive used over 1k texts, unbelievable! but yeah im for sure calling tomorrow morning. just wondering if someone else had this problem and what they did to correct it. its always nice to go in there knowing what you are talking about!

16. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

yes.. .they'll fix it..

17. danipoak

danipoak Member
    Silver

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem. I just talked to att, they said there is no reason i should be seeing those charges but there is no way to find out what is wrong until the actual bill comes out. So right now it could be just some kind of freak error in the computer. The guy just made note of it on my account so that whoever processes it knows to look out for it. So if anyone has this problem just call, they were pretty good about it.

18. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

This has happened to me. Just contact AT&T and they'll fix it.

- John

19. falsetigerlimbs

falsetigerlimbs New Member
    Bronze

I noticed that someone else asked this, but didn't get a response. Does anyone know how much texts are if you go over the 200 that are allotted? I've read that it's $0.15, but on my bill (or rather, where you preview usage), it says that I'm over by 203, and then: IMB 200 SMS/MMS DOM $0.05 ADDL - A4N1C/AMS1. So does that mean it's only $0.05 for additional texts? By the way, I am not over 203 by choice. I have an annoying friend that texts me all the time, even though I tell him not to, and have stopped responding. He says he'll pay my bill, and I hope he does. Ugh.

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Should be $0.15 a text.

Call AT&T and see if you can get your friend's number blocked for texts. He sounds like a royal jerk anyway.