Data Overage

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Should be $0.15 a text.

Call AT&T and see if you can get your friend's number blocked for texts. He sounds like a royal jerk anyway.
Mine are 5 cents apiece. I believe they are only 5cents do to them being strictly SMS and not MMS. Most packagesfor texting are actually MMS packages when not on an iPhone plan. My sister is on my account, and hers are 10 cents apiece. She has a MMS package.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I know that it sometimes depends on how many texts you're subscribing to in the first place. I know that it works that way for minutes, like say you're paying for 5,000 a month, then each additional minute would only be say $0.50, but if you only have 2,000 a month, then each additional might be $1.00. I'm not sure if texts work this way anymore, but it's possible.

akilgore23

Bronze
Oct 24, 2007
Albuquerque NM
i just got off with AT&T because i also went over by 176 texts and she told me it was $0.05 each overage message so i upgraded to the 1500 text message plan and she just removed the overage texts from my new plan
so no add. charges:)

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. :D I am thinking it must be 5 cents, because it says that online, like I mentioned. So the 1500 text plan is an extra $10 a month, right? I may have to get that. I suppose I can take it out of the money I make from the website that the text offender and I own. lol.

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Just an update - I called AT&T about upgrading to the 1500 plan, and they were really cool about it, just like akilgore23 said. They wiped out all of my overages for this month (which cost over $15), and will let me just pay the extra $10 to upgrade my texting plan. I normally hate calling customer service, but I was really impressed.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
When my contract started, I had a pro-rated number of text messages, but not a pro-rated number of minutes. O_o

I got charged like a buck fifty cause the prorated allotment was 47 of the 200 allowed text messages.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Oy, that seems to be a bit unfair. I think that if you complained a bit you may have been able to get a full 200, it seems as if you were cheated by the system.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Unlimited texts should be included with the flat rate data plan. The fact that they aren't is a holdout of an archaic pricing system. Cellular will soon go the way of other data service providers: flat rate for everything.

I mean really, when I can surf to att.com on my phone and send a text message for free (well, included in my data plan) through their web server, using 10x the data I would just sending it for $$$ from said phone, it seems a bit ridiculous.

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
Unlimited texts should be included with the flat rate data plan. The fact that they aren't is a holdout of an archaic pricing system. Cellular will soon go the way of other data service providers: flat rate for everything.

I mean really, when I can surf to att.com on my phone and send a text message for free (well, included in my data plan) through their web server, using 10x the data I would just sending it for $$$ from said phone, it seems a bit ridiculous.
:laugh2: What a great point about using the AT&T website to send text messages from your phone.
I think that cellular SHOULD go flat-rate for everything but I don't see it happening. I mean, AT&T just recently announced that they are raising the price of messages for people without a messaging plan to like .20 each!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
:laugh2: What a great point about using the AT&T website to send text messages from your phone.
I think that cellular SHOULD go flat-rate for everything but I don't see it happening. I mean, AT&T just recently announced that they are raising the price of messages for people without a messaging plan to like .20 each!
Well they won't have a choice when everyone else goes flat rate. It's the way long-distance land-line providers and internet service providers have gone... so I think it's likely the cellular industry will at some point as well. The people demand their communication services be flat rate!

Besides, other companies already offer much better text packages than AT&T. They should only raise the price for non-package texts if they also lower the price and raise the variety of their package offerings.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
i was over my text last month also

here's what it says under my plan

IMB 1500 SMS/MMS DOM $0.03 ADDL - A4N1I/AMS2

so that would be 3 cents for each additional. that means i would have to text over 1833 messages for it to be worth the extra $10/month over my already expensive $20/month data package. i might get to 1700 but thats it. id rather pay the $5-6 than a full $10. but if you text up a storm, i recommend the unlimited so you don't need to worry.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
So I logged onto my account tonight, and found that 1 day after my billing cycle started again, I have an overage. I have 1389/1400 anytime minutes available, but I have an overage. 1 minute on my wifes line, and 2 minutes on mine. A call to ATT resolved nothing. They said it should just 'go away'! Riiight Ive been around long enough to know a charge just does not 'go away'! So I guess ill have to wait until the end of this billing cycle to fight it. Or...maybe it will just 'go away'!;)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
So I logged onto my account tonight, and found that 1 day after my billing cycle started again, I have an overage. I have 1389/1400 anytime minutes available, but I have an overage. 1 minute on my wifes line, and 2 minutes on mine. A call to ATT resolved nothing. They said it should just 'go away'! Riiight Ive been around long enough to know a charge just does not 'go away'! So I guess ill have to wait until the end of this billing cycle to fight it. Or...maybe it will just 'go away'!;)
I would call again and speak with someone else. Although I think you are correct in that ATT will do nothing until the bill comes out.

S

Starry

What part of Texas? I'm in Austin... I'm a DIE HARD HORN!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Check for international calls that may have been billed as "overage"

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Is it a minute overage or a message overage?

If it's a message overage, you get charged this by sending to or receiving from anyone who's not in the U.S.

If it's a minute overage, ask them if it's possible somebody international called and rang your phone, at which point it could be billed as an overage.

They're stupidly over-general about these things on the billing site, and it's really rare to find anyone at AT&T who knows what they're doing to find out the real details.