Data Plan Charges $1,500 !

Aug 30, 2007
Just to share with people out there who plan to bring their iPhone overseas. I was in Asia for 3 weeks and did NOT use data on a discretionary basis, instead I would always use a wi fi hotspot. But wait till you hear this and please be warned. While your phone is on, your emails maybe pushed to your iPhone while in the EDGE network. My bill came up to $1,500 ! I just died and I am writing this from beyond the grave. What can I do?

I called AT&T and was referred to page 95 of the iPhone manual. Did anyone read the manual? I have never known Apple to issue anything more than a few pages, not the least a "manual"?

Help ...please...someone...:(

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
International Roaming, Beware!

Just to share with people out there who plan to bring their iPhone overseas. I was in Asia for 3 weeks and did NOT use data on a discretionary basis, instead I would always use a wi fi hotspot. But wait till you hear this and please be warned. While your phone is on, your emails maybe pushed to your iPhone while in the EDGE network. My bill came up to $1,500 ! I just died and I am writing this from beyond the grave. What can I do?

I called AT&T and was referred to page 95 of the iPhone manual. Did anyone read the manual? I have never known Apple to issue anything more than a few pages, not the least a "manual"?

Help ...please...someone...:(
Sir,
I believe the manual mentioned, may be an online manual. I got no manual with my iPhone, nor do I believe anyone else did.

While we are on the subject of international roaming. Please allow me to add my 2 cents (literally). I noticed a .02 cent charge on my bill for international roaming. Yes, very small amount, but worth looking into, before it became a large amount. I called AT&T to inquire about the, .02 cents charge. I told the representative, I had not been out of the country during the billing period. He then asked if I had been near a border (Southern or Northern). I had spent time in Laredo, Texas, a stones throw from the Mexican border. My iPhone had briefly accessed a tower in Mexico. The rep gladly removed the .02 cents charge. I argued that, since the iPhone has no function to turn off roaming, or alert that I am roaming. I had no way of knowing the phone was on international roaming. My charge was only .02 cents, so AT&T just removed it. I'm sure you will have a much harder time, getting 1500.00 removed from your bill.

I suggest that you file a complaint with the FCC, there is no way to turn off the data part of the phone or the roaming. There is currently a class action lawsuit (started by a New Yorker) against Apple for exactly what happened to you. The New Yorker stated that, AT&T and Apple refused to give him an unlock code, so he could use a SIM card from the country he was visiting. The SIM card unlock code is a standard practice by AT&T (and other carriers) (which I'm sure you already know, since you travel abroad), for customers traveling abroad (to minimize the staggering international roaming fees) with any other phone than the iPhone. I would not pay the roaming fee if I were you, as long as you have a dispute in progress with the FCC they cannot turn your phone off, nor make a late entry on your credit report. You have to send AT&T a copy of your FCC dispute, and pay the portion of the bill not in dispute, by the bill's due date. You then will not have to pay until the FCC, You and AT&T come to some type of resolution. You have a good case for the FCC. Apple says you can use the iPhone abroad, they should have included a feature to turn off the Data. Mark

As a footnote: BEWARE OF USING THE iPHONE FOR EXTENED PERIODS IF YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE SOUTHERN OR NORTHERN BORDER OF THE UNITED STATES. You might just get a bill simular to roaming abroad. There is a code that AT&T can put on your phone, that will alert you (visually) if you are on an international tower.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
for instance just to open the home page of everything iPhone while abroad would cost you $2.00 to read a thread $2.00.

To send a picture from the iPhone a whopping $10 while overseas.

so ring AT&T and tell them to turn edge off while overseas

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Not to sound like an ass, but high international rates are well known and have been discussed thoroughly in many forums. It's something that you should have looked into before you left.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

iRon

Aug 8, 2007
NorCal
I agree it sucks AT&T hasn't published a warning about high data charges, but if it's in their paperwork somewhere, it usually falls on the consumer. Fortunately for me, I read an article about the guy who went to England for a couple weeks and came back to a $3000 bill due to data use. A little research and I found it IS possible to disable data when you leave the country... It's just not something you can do manually.

Call AT&T's international department at 800-335-4685, ask them to disable data until you return and voila! No edge roaming to cost you hundreds or thousands. And I can attest to this working. I am writing this from my iPhone, on free wifi at chicago's o'hare airport. I depart for Paris in less than an hour, so I made the call, it took 5 minutes and immediately after hanging up, my edge icon was gone. I still have phone and wifi... Just no texting or edge internet access. It's a compromise, but it's better than the alternative.