Data plan for 3G $10 more than original iPhone but where's the 3G!

Jul 30, 2008
I don't mind paying $30 for a 3G data plan. Problem is, I get 0 3 G bars (no service) and I am forced to use Edge at all times. It's not like I live in the sticks either. I live in Los Angeles county (Glendale). Just curious if anyone thinks the data plan should be reduced or credited until the 3G issue is resolved.

Thoughts?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well it is the customer's responsibility to see if 3G service is available in your area before making the purchase but a lot of people have been purchasing the 3G anticipating the availability of the faster speeds sometime in the future.

Here is a coverage map from AT&T's site:
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

If you are supposed to be getting 3G (according to the coverage viewer) then I would recommend calling AT&T and asking them about the issue.

Jul 30, 2008
According to ATT's 3G coverage map Glendale CA is bright blue (full 3 G). I get no 3G anywhere in town or in most of LA.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
According to ATT's 3G coverage map Glendale CA is bright blue (full 3 G). I get no 3G anywhere in town or in most of LA.
Yep - while I don't have a 3G iPhone, plenty of friends do and when they're at my house (again, according to AT&T's Coverage Map), they're supposed to be fully covered through 3G, and again, they don't see one bar of it...

It's a shame. This is horrible advertising for Apple and AT&T combined...

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
AT&T dumb thing to say though "it is customers responsibility" yet (Apple/ATT) on their damn AD/commercial "3G twice fast etc" yet you don't see a FINE WARNING in the end of their ad saying 3G depend on your location.... so he is right paying $10 more is ridiculous (IMH0)

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
and i am talking about those Apple iPhone 3G commericals

like the 2 dudes holding the case and the recent 1

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
The extra $10 isn't for 3g, and the iPhone data plan is still cheaper than my blackjack II data plan. Stop complaining, if you can't (or don't want too) afford $10 extra then go get a flip phone with media net.

The V1 iPhone owners were extremely lucky to be paying $20 a month for data while everyone else was paying $40+

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
it's not people complaining, all they want is good coverage... why don't you stop defending.

Jul 30, 2008
The extra $10 isn't for 3g, and the iPhone data plan is still cheaper than my blackjack II data plan. Stop complaining, if you can't (or don't want too) afford $10 extra then go get a flip phone with media net.

The V1 iPhone owners were extremely lucky to be paying $20 a month for data while everyone else was paying $40+
Hey Miggs. I was not complaining and can certainly afford the data plan. I just wanted to know other peoples opinion. If the extra 10 bucks isn't for 3G then what is it for? The edge iPhone data plan was $20. I wanted an iPhone 3G not a flip phone. I am paying for an iPhone 3G data plan with 3G service. But guess what? Even though my area (according to ATT) is fully covered for 3G I don't have 1 single bar.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is a really complicated mess and when all is said and done it is an Apple problem and not an ATT one. ATT is catching all the heat for no 3G service but IMO it is the chipset that is the problem. Here is an article stating that Infineon is working on a software fix that could take several months to develop.
So what is the solution? Who knows. ATT certainly wants their money and believes there is no fault on their end but at the same time Apple isn't doing anything on the PR end to help the situation.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I haven't payed too much attention to how many bars I have around town (Most of my town is covered with 3G) but I have noticed that even when I have 1 little bar of 3G the internet is still twice as fast, and the call quality is just as good and clear, never dropped a call ever (at least not on my end).

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Hey Miggs. I was not complaining and can certainly afford the data plan. I just wanted to know other peoples opinion. If the extra 10 bucks isn't for 3G then what is it for? The edge iPhone data plan was $20. I wanted an iPhone 3G not a flip phone. I am paying for an iPhone 3G data plan with 3G service. But guess what? Even though my area (according to ATT) is fully covered for 3G I don't have 1 single bar.

The $30 is for unlimited data. There is no "edge plan" or "3g plan". The data plan covers the amount of data transferred per month, not how fast it is transferred...

iPhone data plan = $30
Non-iphone data plan = $39.99

I don't mean to rub the wrong way but I'm a former Windows Mobile user and I see the iPhone data plan ($30) as a great deal since it's $10 cheaper than my Blackjack II data plan, that's all. The $20 that original iPhone users was actually a fantastic deal that made me jealous because that's the same price as unlimited media net for a non-smartphone, which isn't even close to the "real" internet.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the network though....

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Also the reason for the more expensive data plan........subsidized pricing. You're 3g was half the price of the V1, they need to make it up somewhere.

Bottom line - your data plan is still less expensive than most non-iphone users, be happy!

Jul 30, 2008
The $30 is for unlimited data. There is no "edge plan" or "3g plan". The data plan covers the amount of data transferred per month, not how fast it is transferred...

iPhone data plan = $30
Non-iphone data plan = $39.99

I don't mean to rub the wrong way but I'm a former Windows Mobile user and I see the iPhone data plan ($30) as a great deal since it's $10 cheaper than my Blackjack II data plan, that's all. The $20 that original iPhone users was actually a fantastic deal that made me jealous because that's the same price as unlimited media net for a non-smartphone, which isn't even close to the "real" internet.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the network though....
Thanks for the clarification Miggs. No offense taken on my part. The truth is I love my iPhone 3G. I'll be thrilled when the 3G reception issue is resolved one way or the other. I am a long time mobile geek (pocket PC) and have paid much higher prices for data in the past. I agree that $30 is a great deal for unlimited data.I just expected better in the metro LA area. I'm sure at some point the issue will be addressed by Apple and ATT and a fix will offered.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I don't know where you guys are getting 39.99 for other PDA/smartphone data but all unlimited personal data is 30 dollars. Blackberrry personal 30, PDA personal 30, iPhone personal 30. When you get into enterprise and exchange it goes up from there.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
unlimited data (pda plan) was $39.99/month on my Blackjack II, I can take a pic of my bill if you'd like....

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
It would be interesting to know/find out if every 3G iPhone owner in the Glendale/LA area has the same poor 3G reception as you do.

Guess no way of knowing. Would seem odd if other 3G owners get good or "as advertised" reception.