Data Plan Must!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rlp2011

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I spoke with a customer serv businesss . manager this morning and he told me the iPhone requires a data plan but you can use pay per use...and he also told me I can order the iPhone over the phone because i have issues with my online acc.
Just my $0.02

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I spoke with a customer serv businesss . manager this morning and he told me the iPhone requires a data plan but you can use pay per use...and he also told me I can order the iPhone over the phone because i have issues with my online acc.
Just my $0.02
So to clarify, "pay per use" classifies as a data plan?

ShIN

Jun 4, 2007
That doesn't sound like a "must" if it has a pay per use feature. It sounds like it's optional but you still have the ability to use it but at a much higher cost. If this is true, that'd be nice because i know some people might not want the data plan right away.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Unless the rates have changed, I think they're $.01/Kb of data transferred. That usually gets me for about $5-$6/month and I only check my email in case of emergencies. Really! Surf the baby internet two or three times and you've got $10 worth of data charges.

rlp2011

Bronze
May 30, 2007
That doesn't sound like a "must" if it has a pay per use feature. It sounds like it's optional but you still have the ability to use it but at a much higher cost. If this is true, that'd be nice because i know some people might not want the data plan right away.
The phone requires internet all the time most for widgets etc.... so pay per use is more money then a plan I think

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I just went online to a basic site on my current phone with cingular. For about 1 second of loading it was 4kb so i imagine you will take time and browse on the iPhone

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
c225 from lg i believe It is called. It was a freebie phone. My previous *verizon* got stolen. Then I made the switch to cingular.

reptilexcq

Jun 5, 2007
Really dumb if they force people to get data plan and it's a MUST in order to use things like push email. This shyt should be free if i am using my WI-FI which has nothing to do with AT&T data service. IT's like buying a computer and still charge people for browsing the net even though the internet fee is already paid.

jphawkins

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
Cartersville, GA
Imagine if you didn't get a plan and did the pay per use...You are browsing around on your WiFi, and it cuts out...but you don't notice it. After 30 minutes of use, you notice that you are connected to EDGE (D'oh!).

Should definitely go with a data plan..but I'm disappointed in $40/month.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Imagine if you didn't get a plan and did the pay per use...You are browsing around on your WiFi, and it cuts out...but you don't notice it. After 30 minutes of use, you notice that you are connected to EDGE (D'oh!).

Should definitely go with a data plan..but I'm disappointed in $40/month.
I don't think you would be browsing on EDGE without noticing you weren't on WIFI anymore. The speed difference would be tremendous. It will be like going from broadband to dial up. You would notice it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Wow, is EDGE really that slow?
If so, then why didn't they go with 3G?
You could say it like this:

GPRS=28K dial up
EDGE=56K dial up
3G=DSL
?=Broadband yet

3G is just not wide spread enough yet for Apple to do it. While there serveral 3G Cingular/At&t phones available, I think only about 1% of the Cingular/At&t network has 3G capabilities.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You could say it like this:

GPRS=28K dial up
EDGE=56K dial up
3G=DSL
?=Broadband yet

3G is just not wide spread enough yet for Apple to do it. While there serveral 3G Cingular/At&t phones available, I think only about 1% of the Cingular/At&t network has 3G capabilities.
I didn't realize that 3G was that uncommon. I had the Blackjack back in December and I got 3G coverage no matter where I went. I guess I was lucky. It was in Tampa and Gainesville, Florida where I had the service.