Data Plan Perspective from AT&T

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I was thinking about this... why would AT&T mandate a data plan when paying by the KB would make them so much more money? Aren't cell phone companies out to screw customers?

By that token, I think AT&T will not mandate a data plan per se but instead instruct customers that it will be in your best interest to get a plan (even if it's a 5 MB/$10 month one) or you'll be paying by the KB which can add up quick (for the same 5 MB of transfer, you'll end up paying $50 by the KB). This might be especially true if certain features—such as visual voicemail—will require the plan.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
well if your not using their network they don't have Guaranteed money. But if your always near wifi you would never need to pay by the kb because you already have a signal.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
"You can always cancel later" is always an easy answer to "no." Especially when told the hard facts of paying by the KB, a lot of customers would take the "plan" than to overextend themselves.

In sales, you can never come across as too hungry or greedy or the customer will walk. Also, you need to make it seem like the customer is in control every step of the way. It's a lot easier to sell a $40/month plan with a cancellable $20/month data plan than it is to sell a $60/month plan that extends out to 2 years.

It doesn't make any financial sense to lock out a potential buyer willing to pay $40 a month for the phone for 2 years than for them not to purchase anything at all. Go check out one of the polls here... one of them mentioned "would you still get the phone if a data plan cost $40/month?" Over 40% here said no. And that's the hardcore people on this forum—I'd wager the average joe consumer would be even less tolerant. Not every person buying the phone is tech savvy—knowing where all the wi-fi hotspots are, etc.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Let's face it, there is little difference between the cell phone carriers and the gasoline companies.

They both have something we use, they are both large scale enterprises and they all lie to us.

So why complain? It is what it is.....period.

sammyb

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
New York
you're comparing gasoline to cell phone service? seriously? c'mon now...
Cell phone use started as a luxury, now is a necessity.
I have not had a land line in my house for about 3yrs now, it made sense we were paying about $80 a month for something we did not use because every body just called our cell phones.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
again they do it because they CAN. Think in the place of AT&T now, if someone could give you more money why wouldn't you take it?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Because I know more money doesn't necessarily translate into a good user experience. Jobs knows that too. We'll find out soon enough. If the iPhone doesn't sell well, it'll be because of AT&T.

It's sink or swim time for AT&T. They really have a chance to turn their bad service around for a good number of Apple customers. I guess you guys don't mind paying out your ass for crap service?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Because I know more money doesn't necessarily translate into a good user experience. Jobs knows that too. We'll find out soon enough. If the iPhone doesn't sell well, it'll be because of AT&T.

It's sink or swim time for AT&T. They really have a chance to turn their bad service around for a good number of Apple customers. I guess you guys don't mind paying out your ass for crap service?
My cingular service has always been great.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
If the iPhone doesn't sell well, it'll be because of AT&T.
Hmmm very interesting perspective. If it doesn't sell well drop the bomb on AT&T as they did a poor job of designing and building the phone. After all Apple had nothing to do with it. I guess you have no trust in Steve Jobs, Apple or the brilliant engineers they employ......LOL

This is the funniest story I've heard yet! Already a disclaimer "if the iPhone doesn't sell" guess you don't have much faith in Apple. Preparing for the worst eh?
You may be the smartest person here... you already have an out. Perhaps there is a message in your username......

It's sink or swim time for AT&T.
Another great laugh, thanks so much for the humor! I can see the headlines now:

"Apple iPhone A Flop, Mac Loyalists Blame AT&T."

Must be a fair weather group of fans.....:p

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Must be a fair weather group of fans
I am not a fair weather fan by any stretch... most people on this forum have never even used system 7, let alone an Apple IIe. Have you?

After all Apple had nothing to do with it. I guess you have no trust in Steve Jobs, Apple or the brilliant engineers they employ......LOL
You're forgetting after 2 years time, you've spent more on the service than on the device itself.

I have total faith in Apple—it's AT&T's medicore service in the past and the rumors of a mandated, slow ass EDGE plan I'm a little worried about. We'll see...

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I am not a fair weather fan by any stretch... most people on this forum have never even used system 7, let alone an Apple IIe. Have you?
I'm a long time Apple customer, and I started with system 7. I've also had nearly every model of Powerbook / MacBook Pro / and a few Apple desktops. So my only point is to give some background that assists one in understanding what my experience is and has been with Apple.

I happen to have a very high regard for Apple.

My newest MacBook Pro, iPod nano & 80GB iPod video are terrific products that I use everyday.

However I also believe in reporting honestly, and not putting Steve Jobs on a pedestal for worship. Just because Apple currently has some very good products is not a reason to believe that a device that most people have not even seen in person is the be all and end all. The device that is going to set the world right. To listen to some people here, they are such zea lots that the mere mention of anything real, or truthful causes them to turn into haters, striking out at the messenger that speaks the truth.

Since your bring up the past ..... how many people remember when he left Apple? How many people remember the "iPhone like Hype" coming directly from Steves Ego Driven Mouth, when he proclaimed he had the next "Big Thing" in computing and introduced "Next Computer". He lost tens of millions of dollars trying to push a third rate desktop computer system on companies. In those days he was not being blindly followed around by Apple or Next fanboys. He failed miserably. So the only point being, that he is not Mr Perfect and does not always have all the answers. A brilliant guy yes, but perfect, no.

You're forgetting after 2 years time, you've spent more on the service than on the device itself.
I'm not forgetting anything, and that's why many people get so angry or resentful, they cannot handle the truth and fair, accurate reporting on the experience that one has had with Apple. They quickly turn on you and act like it's some sort of crime to say anything contrary to the Apple company hype.

Regarding the amount of money spent on service... Welcome to 2007 and the advanced world of wireless communications. One would be spending a similar amount on any other smartphone for service. BlackBerry, Motorola Q, Samsung Blackjack, a myriad of HTC products, Nokia etc. If one remains submerged in AppleLand, ignorance of this fact is understandable.

I have total faith in Apple—it's AT&T's medicore service in the past and the rumors of a mandated, slow ass EDGE plan I'm a little worried about. We'll see...
Obviously you'd rather blame AT&T's EDGE system than Steve & Apple. They are the ones that FAILED to build a modern iPhone with 3G in place. To turn that around and blame it on AT&T is proof of my claim above that there is no room in AppleLand and it's cadre of blind followers for the truth.

One thing that everyone seems to agree on is: If the iPhone is a success, all the credit will go to Apple. Conversely, if it is a failure it's all AT&T's fault. After all, they are the ones that forgot to engineer 3G into the phone. They are the ones that made sure there is no expandable storage slot. They are the ones that hard wired the battery so it's not user replaceable. What a brilliant idea. Think Different....shaft the users with a battery that will be quite costly to replace. They are the ones that forced themselves on Apple......yeah right.....

By now I'm sure that everyone this post upsets has quickly forgotten one of my truths, that I stated in a sentence at the beginning of my post:

"I happen to have a very high regard for Apple." My newest MacBook Pro, iPod nano & 80GB iPod video are terrific products that I use everyday.

I too have faith in Apple, just not "total faith" as though they can do no wrong.

Apparently it's not acceptable to be a happy Apple customer, speak the truth in a fair and unbiased fashion and still be welcome in a group of "Apple Experts" that act like a cult and shun anyone that is an individual with an opinion.

Interesting..... very interesting......

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Obviously you'd rather blame AT&T's EDGE system than Steve & Apple. They are the ones that FAILED to build a modern iPhone with 3G
Had the phone had 3G instead of Wi-Fi and a data plan was mandated, I probably would have seconds thoughts about buying one anyway. Wi-Fi sealed the deal for me.

One would be spending a similar amount on any other smartphone for service.
Except with other smart phones, they don't necessarily mandate you into a data plan you'll hardly use. There are plenty of people out there who just want to use the iPod portions of the phone and have to eliminate a device. Whether that decision comes from Apple, AT&T or both is TBA. But it would so be like AT&T to do something like this since they will be making most of their money on the service, not Apple... Apple just provides the phone.

I'm sorry but the rest of your post is just pure bullshit rambling... it doesn't really matter what you think I or anyone else is on this forum (I'm certainly not a blind cult follower by any stretch).

I'm out until the 29th... you people are too much...

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Had the phone had 3G instead of Wi-Fi and a data plan was mandated, I probably would have seconds thoughts about buying one anyway. Wi-Fi sealed the deal for me.
I agree with you. Apple was very smart to include WiFi. I use it everywhere, everyday. At the office, Starbucks, home, airports, and most hotels I stay in while traveling.

Except with other smart phones, they don't necessarily mandate you into a data plan you'll hardly use. There are plenty of people out there who just want to use the iPod portions of the phone and have to eliminate a device. Whether that decision comes from Apple, AT&T or both is TBA. But it would so be like AT&T to do something like this since they will be making most of their money on the service, not Apple... Apple just provides the phone.
Not True.

It makes no sense that AT&T would demand a data plan on only one of nearly one hundred different phones they sell. Apple dictated this, plain and simple.

Then one must remember that in the overall scheme of things the iPhone means very little to AT&T other than the attention and hype. The number of iPhones sold, even if it is five times the projected amount would still be less than one percent of the AT&T data plan businesss. Just do the math it's simply really.

AT&T doesn't need Apple, they are already hugely successful and have the true mobile phone professionals like Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, LG, Palm, Sony Ericsson, RIM, and others as businesss partners.

The novelty of the iPhone is the attraction.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
well conversely, had they included 3G, they could also charge a lot more for that mandatory data plan. The most expensive unlimited plans are attached to those phones with 3G.

Don't think for a minute that Apple "just provides the phone." The wrangling that has gone on between them and AT&T to get this thing to market goes WAY deeper than anything reported. There is some kind of Apple involvement in pretty much every detail. Since when has Steve EVER given control of ANYTHING to someone else?

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Since when has Steve EVER given control of ANYTHING to someone else?
This is exactly my point. While I agree that AT&T certainly has quite a bit of involvement, it's only from the services and distribution side. Apple engineered, built and has complete control over all it's products and the iPhone is no different. I was just being sarcastic when I said that AT&T did not build in 3G. As AT&T does not build any hardware, they simply partner with companies whose phones they want to offer.

After the smoke and mirrors are put away, and the harsh light of day shines on the finished product, then and only then will we have any idea what all the hype has been about.

Since the media is such a huge influence and force today, it was in AT&T's best interest to connect with this project even if it turns out to be a failure like the Newton. However that said, I doubt that it will fail completely because Steve has never had more money to spend propping up a product as he has now. And his enormous ego is not about to allow anyone or anything to prevent him from administering CPR until this thing works.