Data plan required with first gen iPhone?

jjk454ss

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
If you want to use a first gen iPhone with AT&T, a phone that is not unlocked or anything, do you have to have the $20 data plan? I have someone that wabts my old phone, but would just like to use it as a phone and not pay extra for a data plan.

Jul 14, 2008
The only time you don't have to have the data plan is if you sign up for a GoPhone plan. After the first month, you can cancel the data plan by calling 611 and removing it there.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
If you are jailbroken and activated....then you should be able to us a SIM that does not include data. But you must be sure you have the data disabled properly or you may still be charged by the packet.

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
If you are jailbroken and activated....then you should be able to us a SIM that does not include data. But you must be sure you have the data disabled properly or you may still be charged by the packet.
I wanna cancel my att plan and be on att prepaid. Can I just put a prepaid sim card into my iPhone and turn off the internet and be set or do I have to unlock it and then put the prepaid sim card?

Jul 14, 2008
I wanna cancel my att plan and be on att prepaid. Can I just put a prepaid sim card into my iPhone and turn off the internet and be set or do I have to unlock it and then put the prepaid sim card?
With the 3G iPhone, it will accept any AT&T sim. You don't need to unlock it like last years iPhone.

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
With the 3G iPhone, it will accept any AT&T sim. You don't need to unlock it like last years iPhone.
I'm using the first iPhone not the 3g. I wanna switch to a pay as you go plan. Do I just buy a prepaid phone from he store, take out the sim and put it into my iPhone?

Jul 14, 2008
I'm using the first iPhone not the 3g. I wanna switch to a pay as you go plan. Do I just buy a prepaid phone from he store, take out the sim and put it into my iPhone?
I knew you were talking about the first iPhone, I was just throwing the 3G info out there because it is much easier to throw any AT&T sim in there.

With the old iPhones, sometimes just putting a different sim in there would work and sometimes not. Apple/AT&T really seemed to be messing with the firmware on the old phones to try and tie the sim with the iPhone. I have always had two iPhone activated, one the GoPhone and the other, the regular iPhone monthly plan. With the monthly plan sim, I could take it and put it in any iPhone and it would work. Sometimes it would only work after doing a restore on the iPhone but it would always work. With the GoPhone sim, it would not work in any iPhone, even after restoring. The sim was tied to only the original iPhone it was activated in. I could not even upgrade that iPhone to a 16GB because during the upgrade, it said I was not eligible, most likely because it's a GoPhone.

If I unlocked a 16GB iPhone, the GoPhone sim would then work.

Since I upgraded all the iPhones here to 2.0, it seems they will accept any sim if if it's AT&T.

Hope this helps.