data plan required?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ShIN

Jun 4, 2007
I, like many of you, can't wait to get the iPhone and im glad i found these forums. I've been around them but didn't sign up until yesterday. I looked around but couldn't find anything conclusive to my topic.

I was wondering if it would be mandatory to get the data plan on the iPhone when signing up for a new contract? I don't want to get the data plan right away (i'll probably be low on $), however I do want to get it eventually. So is it possible to sign up for a normal voice contract and upgrade to a voice and data plan sometime in the middle of the contract?

Thanks in advance guys (and girls)

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I believe that a data plan will be required to utilize the full functionality of the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Bottom line is we don't know for sure. I emailed AT&T just the other day and they basically said that they weren't ready to release info on data plans yet. Stay tuned ;).
I called yesterday and got the same response. No details of the required plans are posted yet for them to relay to us. I called Cingular/At&t Customer Service and also a local Cingular/At&t corporate store and was told the same thing. They knew the prices of the phones and they knew that they would be the same price for both new and existing customers, but they didn't know any data plan details.

timaging

Jun 5, 2007
I believe that a data plan will be required to utilize the full functionality of the iPhone.
I put my name on the list for the phone over the weekend at AT&T. They told me that they believe my plan will go up by $40/month... couldn't confirm it, but that's what they said.

If that's the case, then I won't do it. I'm already paying close to $100/month.

dt

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I put my name on the list for the phone over the weekend at AT&T. They told me that they believe my plan will go up by $40/month... couldn't confirm it, but that's what they said.

If that's the case, then I won't do it. I'm already paying close to $100/month.

dt
Welcome to EiP.

They put you on a list but they've posted circulars to all stores that they could NOT pre-sell and iPhones?:confused:

Also, it sounds like you got someone that was just looking at their current plans. Currently, the $39.99 plan is the only unlimited data/text plan offered. Many rumors have popped up saying that there would be a new plan with reduced pricing. So far those have just been rumors. It wouldn't surprise me if the $39.99 plan turns out to be the only unlimited plan available, but I know from a survey that I participated in, that at least At&t is trying to find the right price point for a new plan. The highest priced plan in that survey was $19.99. Whether that happens or not, we'll just have to wait and see.

timaging

Jun 5, 2007
Welcome to EiP.

They put you on a list but they've posted circulars to all stores that they could NOT pre-sell and iPhones?:confused:

Also, it sounds like you got someone that was just looking at their current plans. Currently, the $39.99 plan is the only unlimited data/text plan offered. Many rumors have popped up saying that there would be a new plan with reduced pricing. So far those have just been rumors. It wouldn't surprise me if the $39.99 plan turns out to be the only unlimited plan available, but I know from a survey that I participated in, that at least At&t is trying to find the right price point for a new plan. The highest priced plan in that survey was $19.99. Whether that happens or not, we'll just have to wait and see.
That's correct about the list. Even though there's a circular, something like 65% of the ATT locations will email you when there's one available for you...I read this on maccentral.com. I don't think the stores will confirm it, but if you walk in and ask, they might do it. They did for me.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/24/waitinglists/index.php

re: data plan... I think you're right. I currently have a Treo600, but no data plan because it was always too expensive. I would on occasion send an email in an emergency. I tried using the web once and it cost me something ridiculous like $3 for 10 minutes-forget that. I'm really looking forward to having a phone with WiFi though.

Dave

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That's correct about the list. Even though there's a circular, something like 65% of the ATT locations will email you when there's one available for you...I read this on maccentral.com. I don't think the stores will confirm it, but if you walk in and ask, they might do it. They did for me.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/24/waitinglists/index.php

re: data plan... I think you're right. I currently have a Treo600, but no data plan because it was always too expensive. I would on occasion send an email in an emergency. I tried using the web once and it cost me something ridiculous like $3 for 10 minutes-forget that. I'm really looking forward to having a phone with WiFi though.

Dave
I just double checked at my At&t store and they said no waiting list at this time because they weren't sure how many iPhones they would be receiving in their initial shipments. The guy said they didn't want to create a "chaos" (his word) if they didn't get as many as they anticipated. I can understand that. Which customers would they drop if the shipment came in short? Would they fill the pre-orders chronologically? That sounds like a customer service nightmare.

I'm sure some stores will have lists, and I'm sure some stores will take care of their top customers, but right now, none of my local At&t stores are taking names for the iPhone when they arrive.

timaging

Jun 5, 2007
I just double checked at my At&t store and they said no waiting list at this time because they weren't sure how many iPhones they would be receiving in their initial shipments.
right. I don't know where I am on the list, but they will email me once one becomes available for me to purchase. I'm guessing NOT June 29.

timaging

Jun 5, 2007
I hope there is not a data plan NEED. I may get one but I have wifi at my home and all over.
amen to that.

There are enough hotspots here as well-hopefully a widget that detects free ones.

I do also hope that there will be some type of chat messaging that I can use via WiFi, but I have a hunch that we might only be able to text, which would force a data plan?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
amen to that.

There are enough hotspots here as well-hopefully a widget that detects free ones.

I do also hope that there will be some type of chat messaging that I can use via WiFi, but I have a hunch that we might only be able to text, which would force a data plan?
That's probably a pretty good hunch. At&t has to recoup their investment for their exclusivity arrangement with Apple.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What investment? AT&T doesn't have to recoup anything. They're upgrading their data service infrastructure just to stay competitive. Sprint and Verizon are killing them in data services. Sorry AT&T but a T1 was great years ago when all that was needed was 56K speeds. You might as well run fiber while you're in the hole digging.

AT&T is prob taking a small cut of Apple's profits on the hardware too...

Historically, Apple has been all about exclusivity... FairPlay, Mac hardware, etc. Bringing another cell phone player into the game might have actually hurt Apple so they decided to play it safe and partner with one to test out the market. The cell phone industry is super competive... one carrier might have demanded x number of cellphones but only if their competitor gets a lot fewer. So in the end, the customer gets screwed into "exclusivity" anyway.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
What investment? AT&T doesn't have to recoup anything. They're upgrading their data service infrastructure just to stay competitive. Sprint and Verizon are killing them in data services. Sorry AT&T but a T1 was great years ago when all that was needed was 56K speeds. You might as well run fiber while you're in the hole digging.

AT&T is prob taking a small cut of Apple's profits on the hardware too...

Historically, Apple has been all about exclusivity... FairPlay, Mac hardware, etc. Bringing another cell phone player into the game might have actually hurt Apple so they decided to play it safe and partner with one to test out the market. The cell phone industry is super competive... one carrier might have demanded x number of cellphones but only if their competitor gets a lot fewer. So in the end, the customer gets screwed into "exclusivity" anyway.
I think we an all agree that EDGE is not the technology of the future. What good does it do At&t to upgrade EDGE technology. They're doing that for the iPhone alone. Most of their new phones are using 3G. Whether you want to accept it or not, they've got quite an investment in this partnership.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I don't really care if they require a data plan or not. I already am paying for a data/text message package with AT&T. Even if the data plan was optional, I would get it anyways. It is what it is.

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
They better come out with a iPhone data package because all the ones ATT has now are confusing.
No kidding about the confusing plans. I looked at them the other day trying to guess what it may cost and it runs the gambit, with descriptions that are so thin that they tell you nothing.