Data service for used iPhone?

iZilla

Jun 5, 2009
I'm considering buying a used iPhone, locked or unlocked. If I use my existing ATT sim card, will I be able to get data access (text, messaging, internet) with the iPhone? If not, what would I have to do to get data access?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yes you should have data access initially via pay per use. You are required to have an iPhone data plan if you use an iPhone on AT&T's network.

gharrrrr

Jun 5, 2009
huh, lets get a few things sorted out first. The iPhone doesn't have a "sim" card. Its not like the older model phone where you could just switch sims from phone to phone. You will have to back up you current sim to a memory card, then to comp (or just on a scratch pad if your oldschool). Secondly, if you wish to keep your AT&T service, there is no point to buying an "unlocked" iPhone. You can just buy any used iPhone, call up AT&T and activate it on your current service plan (plus aprox. 20 for the data plan) and be up and running with phone, text, and email. The only purpose of "unlocking" an iPhone is for use on an alternative network (virgin, t-mobile, verizon, etc.) If this is the case, then the sim rules still aply, however you have to active your phone as a separate smartphone with similare features and basically lie to your service provider. I suggest just going with AT&T for service and buying a new iPhone (there are rumors of a new model coming out soon too) and if you buy a used one look for one that is "jailbroke" but not "unlocked". An "jailbroken" iPhone has access to third party software but is still using the AT&T network and services. Hope this helps! Post back with any furture questions.:laugh2:

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
huh, lets get a few things sorted out first. The iPhone doesn't have a "sim" card.
Yes it does!

(plus aprox. 20 for the data plan)
20 bucks for original iPhone, 30 bucks for iPhone 3G data plan.

Aaron

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
huh, lets get a few things sorted out first. The iPhone doesn't have a "sim" card. Its not like the older model phone where you could just switch sims from phone to phone.
Oh really so how do I transfer between my 2 iPhones then? not a memory card. It has a sim card in the top of the phones you remove with a paper clip

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
gharrrr, obviously doesn't have an iPhone or know much about them.

gharrrrr

Jun 5, 2009
ha

wow, you guys are harsh. i'm sorry some of my information was misinforming and/or outdated. i bought my phone so long ago i had really forgot a lot of the specifics. sorry it bothered y'all so much. oh and check the screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
wow, you guys are harsh. i'm sorry some of my information was misinforming and/or outdated. i bought my phone so long ago i had really forgot a lot of the specifics. sorry it bothered y'all so much. oh and check the screenshot.
it's ok dude. it's the internet. don't take it seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: