Data Unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reginaalear, Dec 3, 2011.

1. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I used to have the $30 unlimited data package on my phone, but took it off because AT&T told me I wasn't using enough to pay for it so I dropped down to the $15 package. Well now even though I use it mostly only on wifi I keep getting charged for overages so I'm still paying $30 most months. I had asked if I could go back to the unlimited and was told no they don't offer it anymore, but my brother in law who is on my plan just got a iPhone upgrade(he didn't have a iPhone prior to this or internet) and was put on the $30/unlimited. Does anyone know if they have brought it back or did he just get lucky or something? I've been calling the toll free number but he went to the local store so I'm wondering if I went in if they might make an exception. I'm sure it's a long shot but I'm thinking it might be worth a try. Have any of you dropped off of it then been able to get back on it? Thanks for reading. :)

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They did not bring it back. Once you drop unlimited, it's gone for good. I'm not sure why your brother was offered unlimited. That shouldn't have happened since he didn't have an unlimited plan on another phone prior to upgrading to a iPhone. You may want to consider going to the 2 GB plan for $25 per month.

I just dropped unlimited data a couple hours ago. I've never exceeded 800 MB in the 3+ years I've had an iPhone, so I decided I don't need to hang onto it any longer just in case I ever do exceed 4 GB. I went with the 4 GB data pro + tethering plan for $45.

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

You know in Canada we're always pointing at how US telecom rates are cheaper especially with the 2yrs vs pseudo-3yrs contract terms. I think for the list rates it's true but we've kind made negotiating for severe discounts an art form. For example I pay $52 for; 6GB, 250mins, cid, vm, 6pm evn+wknds, free SMS/MMS, 15ยข/min overage and 25% off on my TV and home internet. Took me 3 months to work the system but that was two years ago.

Are you guys ever able to negotiate in a similar fashion? I used Howardsforum as a resource and see a section there for AT&T but have never bothered looking.

I mean some of you do the craigslist rotation to keep you in a new iPhone each year. This telco haggling seems a natural extension in frugality.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

4. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I hadn't went over what the $15 plan offered in 4 yrs. but for some reason when I dropped it I started going over some months. Sometimes when I check my data usage it will say I've used 43.6MB but then uder it where it shows overages it will say 10MB even though my limited is 200MB per month. I'm not sure why it keeps doing that. I think I might look into moving up to a bigger plan.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Hmm, AT&T tried to roll over $800 in roaming charges on to me, 60 and 90 days after the billing period. Fortunately I wasn't even in the country for two of the three days. And being a seasoned traveler I manage my roaming settings diligently.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's only $10 more a month and then you won't have to worry about it all.

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

we have one of each lol
    hubby has $15 (never goes over) he also uses work phone (crackberry)
    son uses $30 unlimited (used to be mine but he needed it MORE)
    I have tetherplan since I also have an ipad2 ( I should be taking more often with me)