Data usage disagreement - with Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bingoldsby, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bingoldsby

bingoldsby Member
    Bronze

By this morning, my phone's count of data usage and the tally from My Verizon are in disagreement. I sent the following email to customer support:

- Account setup and in use for just over a week.
    - Keeping track of data usage on iPhone 4, and at My Verizon
    - Data usage on phone vs. that reported online at My Verizon is in significant dissagreement.
    - Phone was updated with latest OS (4.2.8) on 2nd day and due to reset of data usage numbers, a correction factor has been determined and applied to my running counts.
    - Today my (corrected) total Data Usage, read on the phone, is 379.2 mb - and My Verizon reports "455,633.0KB of Unlimited"
    - That's too big a discrepancy to ignore.
    - Today Tether Data from phone is 330.9 mb - and My Verizon reports 0.308GB of 2 GB (315.4 mb) - yes, a discrepancy in the other direction.
    - I believe the phone is keeping track and reporting the correct numbers. I don't want to get into a situation where I ALWAYS don't trust Verizon with my data usage accounting and reporting, so please help me to resolve this issue.
    Thank you,

Has anyone else taken the time to keep track of usage in this manner, and noticed any dissagreements like this? I set up an Excel spreadsheet into which I have been entering the numbers from the phone each evening as the last thing before retiring. My primary motivation was to keep track of daily usage, and setup a "projected total" based on the daily averages. Because I'm paying for the tethering plan, and because going even a little over the 2 Gig cap will cost me another $20, keeping the daily use under control is very important. I'm also using MyWi to tether on the phone's 3G data section, so I need to keep a handle on that also.

One thing I don't know... does the phone's VOICE service generate megabytes of data which is registered in the "Data Usage" report on the phone?

Thanks, Brian

2. bingoldsby

bingoldsby Member
    Bronze

I got a phone call from Verizon yesterday wanting to discuss this issue. The only result of that conversation was that I was told not to go by the Data Usage indicators in the phone as they are not accuate because of WiFi usage and other blah blah blah... Oh brother. (I haven't yet been in range of a WiFi hotspot since getting the new phone.) I was also told that the only way for me to know what my data usage is would be to gather that data from My Verizon site.

After just reading a long thread of comments and complaints over AT&T's "late-night mystery data-usage issue, I figure things could be much worse for me, but I'll still be keeping close tabs of it all. I'll try to get the phone's data-usage registers reset as close to the same time as Verizon resets theirs and see what happens in the second billing period.

3. Stryykker

Stryykker New Member

I have the unlimited plan from a few years ago so I don't really watch my usage, but this is good information to have for future reference. Until they send me some nasty note, I will burn as much data time as I can for my 29.99.

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

bingoldsby,
    I have AT&T, so I am not sure it's the same, but initial data usage when looking at my current info on their website includes SMS and MMS as initial data. yes, I know that text is not data, but on the website, I have a choice of looking at data, or voice usage. Text is listed as data, and for the "daily running count" it's all bundled together till they actually generate my bill, and then it gets separated. So it is possible that the reason that it seems so high is because it's currently lumping all data together, but wait till your first bill, and see if there is still a discrepancy. If there is, then it's something to talk to them about.
    Also, there should be a way to have verizon notify you of usage. Like dialing a code or sending a text and have it list your current usage to you. Again, it might be all lumped together, but it's something to look at. Plus if it's in line with your phone, but the MyVerizon site is off, then you can at least document it and share it with them.
    AT&T has already been proven to be over charging people on data counts.

5. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

There is an app in the app store called "My Verizon Mobile" that will keep track of you data usage. This is what I used during the short period of time that I had the Verizon iPhone. I thought it was fairly accurate when comparing it to my billing satement.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

#5 Irish Rose, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Irish, I didn't know you left Verizon. can i ask why? I am just curious. I've been with At&T since Bellsouth Mobility was swallowed to form Cingular, and while they aren't 100% perfect, they have been far better than what i hear about other carriers.

7. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

Well, I still like Verizon because I have 3 other home services with them. However, after my first day with their iPhone I began to drop calls in places that I use my iPhone the most and never did before with AT&T. Also, I did not find that their customer service was as nice or as responsive as what I am used to with AT&T during the few times that it has been necessary for me to call them. My final reason was the slow data speeds. When you are used to getting 3Mbps down/1.6Mbps upload speeds with AT&T, it is very hard going back to anything less than that. If Verizon ever gets a faster data network I might be tempted to try their wireless service again.

8. nicefeet

nicefeet New Member

I called Verizon about an issue I noticed. I happened to be at home for a few days (never left the house) on my very good wireless connection with my iPhone4s, yet I saw very small data subtractions on Verizon on those days. I called Verizon and discovered from a CS rep that smartphones when in hibernation will connect to the verizon network first then to the wireless in my home, so small bits of data "seepage" occurs. I called back to report it as an issue but got a lot of "song and dance." They kept telling me it was this or that...I kept pressing the issue and they kept getting more and more support persons on the line, all the way to Apple and what do you know...I was right. Bottom line: You will incur small data charges every time the iPhone (and maybe other smartphones too) goes into hibernation because the wifi is shut off and you are using 3G. You have to shut off cellular data for this not to occur (silly). Its an "issue" that no one is considering an "issue." I bet most people do not know this. The only way you can tell is if you notate when you are at home on your home wireless and compare it to the data charges that occur on your bill for that time frame. You will be surprised at what you see. Its really not fair to the customer to have data taken even if its a small amount when the home network is supposed to be used. This may be the answer to your question.

9. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I don't buy that explanation. While it is true that WiFi is disabled when the iPhone is off, the cellular connection is not. So turning on the iPhone is really nothing. If you were already transferring data in the background (say, emails pushed in) they would be happening with iPhone off. In fact turning on the iPhone could potentially save 3G data by switching to WiFi.

Personally I do not trust the usage stats coming from the iPhone as anything more than a crude approximation of data use.

As mention previously, for example, MMS uses data (3G if no WiFi). While that does not count against your data usage the usage counter on iPhone probably does not factor that in.

Then there is the issue of resetting the usage counter at precisely the same moment your new billing cycle begins. Other reasons exist as well.

I am not saying Verizon's usage numbers are correct. They very well may be a bit off for all I know. But I would not use the onboard usage counter as evidence to support that position.

Michael

10. nicefeet

nicefeet New Member

Thanks for the info Tinman. My situation was really weird. No one can exactly explain why I have tiny amount of data charged (subtracted really) multiple times per day from Verizon when I am using my home wifi with my iPhone 4s. I can only assume what Verizon told me that "they said" Apple confirmed (I think the actually word was "may happen") was that hibernation on the iPhone temporarily disables the home wifi. (3G still on) But even that seems weird. All I know is that that tiny bit does not amount to much but it is frustrating on why it happens in the first place. Perplexing!

11. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Here is the easiest way to test. If you know you are going to be home, put the phone in Airplane mode and mark the time on the phone (there will likely be a discrepancy on this of a minute or 2, but not much you can do about that.)
    Now you can activate Wifi and use it like an iPod touch. There is of course the inconvenience of missing calls while doing this, but at the end of your test (or you can check while testing) you can see if there is any report of "data leaks". If there are, then you can call them and ask for an explanation as to how a phone in Airplane mode leaked data on a cellular network, and politely ask for a credit for their inaccuracy.

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Isn't there a data toggle quick button? Check the non jailbroken substitute for sbssettings thread. Would be the 2.0 version of the nice airport mode suggestion above.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

There is a cellular data off slider for GSM phones, but I'm not sure about the verizon version, which is why I suggested going full blown into Airplane Mode. It eliminates the guess work of any possible leaks.

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Right. My wife's is still jailbroken so I assumed it wasn't there in stock when you left it at airport mode :).

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

15. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I don't get this. You are saying that there is a cellular connection even if I have my phone turned off? I don't agree with that.

Maybe you mean standby. i would agree there, but not if the phone is off. It's off, there is no connection.

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Yes standby--or "locked," "sleep" whatever lol. Just "off" as in sleep. We were talking about waking up from "hibernation" (why Verizon called it that who knows) which would be happening much more frequently than waking from completely off (which is just about never for me).

When the iPhone goes into standby on battery power, whether via auto-lock or manually pressing the sleep/wake button, it turns off wifi. Verizon, apparently, was trying to say that simply waking the iPhone causes 3G data to be used. I don't buy that as 3G was never off in the first place--it was always on.

Michael

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Trying to understand. While I get that 3G is always on is it always searching or sending/receiving when in standby?
    I know wifi turns off when in standby because it requires a send and receive to be connected. Is that the same with 3G?

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

No... 3G stays on. You can often see this when waking the iPhone: it will briefly display the 3G data indicator till WiFi is reestablished.

Michael

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I know what you are talking about. Does that ability to always receive a call or a text through 3G/cellular service use data?

20. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Ok, got ya. Wasn't meaning to argue. No offense meant.