Data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jdsmitty10, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I am checking my usage at the att site. It is showing me data usage at times when i am at home on WIFI. Is that normal? I wouldn't of thought it would keep track of that... does att keep track of wifi usage?

2. Spoolin414

Spoolin414 New Member
    Bronze

I just called and complained I have 5 lines on my account and 4 of them have the unlimited iPhone plans an my new iPhone line has the 2gb plan. I called and complained long enough that all my other lines have it and if they wanted to keep my businesss to grandfather my whole account on the unlimited plan.

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

They don't show you wifi data usage.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

4. shupik69

shupik69 Member
    Silver

I know it will convert to wifi...but does it automatically shut down the data usage at the same time? Or is it still receiving from the edge/3g network as well?

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

well after only a week and a half with my new phone i have 40mb used already..and i have been very careful to only use wifi since im on the 200mb plan. I am getting use in the middle of the night when I am sleeping. And definitely when i know my wifi is on i am getting usage then too.. i think i have all push notifications off at this point.. ATT seems to know nothing and said wait til my first bill and call.. who knows..its always something.. My wifes phone is doing the same..and she has hardly used her phone yet and she has 4mb of usage already.. and literally, SHE DOESN'T TOUCH the phone ever.. my old phone max usage for 2 years was 23mb.. it all doesn't make sense to me..

6. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

How could you live with just 200mb data?
    That aside, I think it has something to do with the fact that when the phone is locked, it reverts to cellular data even if you have wifi. It connects to wifi again once you've unlocked the phone...

7. Mariouk

Mariouk Member
    Bronze

I get unlimited data for £5 a month on vodafone pay as you go, i could watch 10 full movies a day and still get NO extra charges! Thats the joy of payg by vodafone...

8. JamesMB

JamesMB New Member
    Bronze

My phone is locked, and my data usage uses my wifi just fine.
    However, SMS, and MMS use the cellular network.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

9. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have a wife and kids...wifi at my house and work.. i don't live on my phone... thats how i live without more data..if i need more..i can go up anytime...and its only 21 for me with a discount through my profession..but if i don't need it, why pay more?

either way..it still is ridiculous for example.. last night..10pm, my wife was on her phone downloading apps using wifi... but on our att usage it is saying she used att data..how is this possible?

10. linh

linh Member
    Bronze

Go to Settings/General/Usage cllick on Reset statistic then go to Network and turn off Cellular Data when you are at home and try to download something with WII. Your data usage statistics should show zero after that, if it's still show some Mb then you need to cal AT&T and kick their @$$ for ripping you off. Rule of thumb for me is turn off cellular data all the time until I need it then I turn it on. I use WIFI most of the time.

11. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

That's actually a good point. +1 for you... :D

12. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

The data use meter on the AT&T website is a very poor indicator of actual data use since there is a delay in posting new data usage. The AT&T website also tends to lump data in chunks at various times of the day. Even though you may be on WiFi at a particular time, the data use being reported during that time may have been from the day before.

My recommendation if you are on a limited data plan is to use and reset every month the data meter on the iPhone itself. Back off a comfortable margin to account for uncertainty and operate to that.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I see there is now a Data Usage SBSettings Toggle now available in Cydia.

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Did this and it was still a zero after downloading on wifi. So the phone must be sending something on it's own when it's asleep. Wish I could figure out what. Thanks for the idea

15. Lunfai

Lunfai Member
    Bronze

I use around 200-800 a month depending on what I do and how busy I am to just keep traveling. I can live with my 1gb cap but 200mb is painful :(

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

16. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have reset the network data a couple times tonight and everytime I check it it has data use recoded. This is in a wifi and not even using the phone.

17. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I have the 200MB plan with AT&T for the iPhone 4 I have all my push and location services on at all times I have WiFi literally everywhere I go! Work, Home, Friends, Girlfriends house, etc I barely even come close to using the 200MB a month I do the casual stuff on the go like facebook, yellowpages, etc I don't like stream pandora on the go or anything like that I just don't use that much data and I have never had a problem or went over. Also I keep track on my data on my phone through text messages from AT&T via *3282#

18. linh

linh Member
    Bronze

Did you turn off the cellular data? If you did then you need to talk to AT&T

19. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ya i have it off right now and there is nothing recorded so far. It's been a pattern.

11/05 12:38 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 2167KB

In the last week, I have this in my data usage for every night at the same exact time for most. And close to this time for others. And yesterday I didn't leave my house and used wifi all day and here is what is in my data usage

11/07 12:39 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 321KB

So I am not sure what it can be.

20. linh

linh Member
    Bronze