Data usage

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
We know, tigerpants.

Another reason why I love this forum: abundant sarcasm, and people don't take things so seriously around here. The way people act on some "other" forums (....ahem, ModMyI), you'd think they were arguing over life and death matters. It's only an iDevice forum, ya know?
Well said!

Maketso

Silver
Jul 17, 2010
And now for continuing inquiries....

I have MobileMe. If I store something (movie, song, file) from a device to iDisk (the cloud), then open it on another device, is that data usage? Uploading and downloading?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
And now for continuing inquiries....

I have MobileMe. If I store something (movie, song, file) from a device to iDisk (the cloud), then open it on another device, is that data usage? Uploading and downloading?
Yes to both.

Skaggaranx

Oct 11, 2012
Is it possible to get the iPhone 5 to a state where cellular data is turned on but the phone does not consume any data whatsoever.

After using up my 1GB data allowance within 15 days of having the iPhone 5 (upgraded from a 3GS on a different UK network with half the data allowance and rarely used it up)... it got me thinking about what on my phone actually uses data and how come i've used a ridiculous amount more since i've had my new iPhone 5.

With cellular data turned on, all notifications turned off, location services off, everything you can imagine that would consume data turned off ... when you play games, it still consumes data. I have disabled and turned off game centre.... but it still consumes data.

For example, playing "Logosquiz" for about 2 minutes receives about 150kb. Why? Surely with gamecentre disabled, games shouldn't consume any data whatsoever?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Is it possible to get the iPhone 5 to a state where cellular data is turned on but the phone does not consume any data whatsoever.

After using up my 1GB data allowance within 15 days of having the iPhone 5 (upgraded from a 3GS on a different UK network with half the data allowance and rarely used it up)... it got me thinking about what on my phone actually uses data and how come i've used a ridiculous amount more since i've had my new iPhone 5.

With cellular data turned on, all notifications turned off, location services off, everything you can imagine that would consume data turned off ... when you play games, it still consumes data. I have disabled and turned off game centre.... but it still consumes data.

For example, playing "Logosquiz" for about 2 minutes receives about 150kb. Why? Surely with gamecentre disabled, games shouldn't consume any data whatsoever?
Have you tried disabling LTE (but leaving Cellular Data On)? You can do this right at the screen where you enable/disable Cellular.

Also, any chance you've been using the Speedtest app to check your LTE speeds? If so, then this may well be your culprit; check out this thread right here on this site: http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/warning-lte-speedtests-use-a-lot-of-data.98900/#post-973452.

Also, make sure you have Wi-Fi set to on whenever you're around Wi-Fi. :D

Skaggaranx

Oct 11, 2012
LTE is off and cellular data is on. I've never heard of the Speedtest app!

The only thing I can think of that would use data using any non-internet based game is the adverts?

When I turn cellular data off, I can still play the game the same... so if it doesn't need the data to run, why is it using it?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
LTE is off and cellular data is on. I've never heard of the Speedtest app!

The only thing I can think of that would use data using any non-internet based game is the adverts?

When I turn cellular data off, I can still play the game the same... so if it doesn't need the data to run, why is it using it?
I have to agree with you that it must be the adverts. Only thing that comes to mind!

Do other games gobble up that much data? How were you able to pin the data usage of the game in two minutes on that game? How do you know something else wasn't running in the background?

Also, have you tried a cold boot to make sure any apps that may be "stuck" in the background have been stopped?

As a very last resort, you can disable the adverts in this game for $1.99 via an in-app purchase. Ultimately, if the adverts in the game turn out to be the culprit, then this one-time fee may be cheaper than recurring data overage fees.

Skaggaranx

Oct 11, 2012
I haven't checked other games... after I turned everything off that is running in the background that consumes data, I reset the data usage counters so I could see how much data my phone uses when I'm not doing anything on it. After half an hour, it hadn't received anything (other than a few kbs). So (I think) I've pretty much managed to get the phone to a state where cellular data is turned on but it doesn't consume any data in the background.

Then I opened this game, played it for no more than 2 minutes and checked again an it had received about 200kb... so it must have been the game. But you can play the same game and run it with cellular data turned off... it doesn't need data. Just don't like the thought that there are so many apps using your data allowance up without realising.

I'm 99.99% sure it won't be specific to this game.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I use an app called "Dataman" to assess my monthly usage. Costing $0.99, it allows me to see what data I'm using via cell and wifi for a given period of time. You customize by entering your billing date, e.g. 25th of the month, and your data limit, e.g. 3GB. It can then give you daily, weekly, and monthly alerts as you approach the apportioned target limits you set for yourself. There are others out there. I merely wanted to monitor this in light of the limited nature of the "unlimited data" with my carrier.
YMMV

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I've been testing data consumption and my iPhone 5 is still using cell data when I have wifi turned on. This is a big issue because it's using our monthly cell data allowance when it's not supposed to. I've noticed when the iPhone goes to sleep, wifi is disabled and when I wake it, the wifi I indicator is none existent and LTE is being used. Only after a couple of seconds after waking does wifi turn on again. This has got to be a bug . Hopefully they fix this.

Skaggaranx

Oct 11, 2012
I've been testing data consumption and my iPhone 5 is still using cell data when I have wifi turned on. This is a big issue because it's using our monthly cell data allowance when it's not supposed to. I've noticed when the iPhone goes to sleep, wifi is disabled and when I wake it, the wifi I indicator is none existent and LTE is being used. Only after a couple of seconds after waking does wifi turn on again. This has got to be a bug . Hopefully they fix this.
That's an issue that has been raised on the Apple communities. Massive problem. I have decided that I'm just going to turn Cellular off when I don't want to use it and turn it on and off as I need it. Big ball ache.... iPhone 5 now feels like a downgrade from 3GS, not upgrade!

Does anybody know an app that could break down the data usage by app? Now that would be useful.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Yeah I want that app
I have noticed strange things happening with my wireless and wifi
It does not automatic go to wifi anymore and some other Hiccups

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Last edited by a moderator:

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
My phone iPhone 4 (iOS5) and my wife's new iP5 (iOS6) are on WiFi at home and I just noticed that at night there is data being used.

I can't figure out how that is possible. It has happened the last two nights and probably every night. I only looked at it the last two days since changing from unlimited plan as I was interested in the usage details.

Here is an example...it's happening in the middle of the night. All Safari pages are cvlosed and nothing I know of is running that would consume data. Any ideas?

Attachments

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
is it possible to use 200 megabytes of data in an hour if your connected to wi-fi? If so what applications would consume so much data? Thanks