Data usage

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Europa you were right, she was trying to watch a movie on Netflix which is why our account shows a spike of data usage on that specific day. Thanks Tug

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I also learned last month that teens downloading music with reckless abandon can eat up about 12 GB in a hurry.

Sent using iCafe app

rmfnla

Bronze
Hi all!

My wife's iPhone4 is using excessive data. It access the internet every hour at and uses anywhere from 1 to 30 KBs. It is doing this 24 hours a day, now at 19 minutes after the hour.

Since I know she is not using her phone at 1:19 am and 2:19 am, etc. it must be a setting. I turned off the usual stuff; mail push, roaming, location services, apps running in the background, etc. but no joy.

I also wasted time calling AT&T; of course the fellow in Mumbai was no help at all (he tried to sell me a bigger data plan!).

Any ideas on this..?

Last edited:

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
This may not help you however I noticed when I've got my iPhone 4 sitting in my speaker/charging dock every so often I get static noise through the speaker. Yes it does connect to Internet every so often of its own accord. Other thing to watch for is every time u open an App, even ones I wouldn't think require connection at that time (until you choose to do a sync/backup) - like "mSecure" "Azul" and others - want to connect. You can go into phone settings & select/deselect which Apps have cellular connection. Also I've found most if not all games want to connect when you open them. Also worth doing a reboot regularly and in phone settings -safari-clear cookies.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Do have a look at another thread (posted on 'iPhone 5' re: 'unexplained data drain' ) - I suggested an App which although it won't solve any data use issues, may help to pinpoint where and when the problems are occurring, as an aid to troubleshooting. I use 'My Data Manager', a free app, into which you enter your data cap and billing cycle dates.... It will break down use into wifi, cellular, and roaming - and does as 'how goes it' as you continue towards the end of your cycle. It may or may not help, but it won't hurt. 'Knowledge is Power' ... David

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
This may not help you however I noticed when I've got my iPhone 4 sitting in my speaker/charging dock every so often I get static noise through the speaker. Yes it does connect to Internet every so often of its own accord. Other thing to watch for is every time u open an App, even ones I wouldn't think require connection at that time (until you choose to do a sync/backup) - like "mSecure" "Azul" and others - want to connect. You can go into phone settings & select/deselect which Apps have cellular connection. Also I've found most if not all games want to connect when you open them. Also worth doing a reboot regularly and in phone settings -safari-clear cookies.
Also consider even the simplest of data driven displays like 'weather', either stock or a downloaded app which updates so as to always display correct information .......

rmfnla

Bronze
Appreciate the replies.

dmoskaluk, I found that thread in a search (yes, some people actually use that!) and posted there as well. If I cannot get to the root of the problem I will look into your advice; either way, thanks!

I have turned off cellular data for everything with no help. Last night I just turned off all cellular data at 6:30 and checked data usage this morning, and that did stop it.

The funny thing is the last data access was at 6:19 PM; what is happening at 19 after the hour? Another thing; most of the 19-after accesses are 1 or 2 KB; the 6:19 PM one was 39 KB. The previous 39 KB was at 3:10 AM!

I just went through the settings again and the only thing I could find that had not been turned off is the Shared Calendar Alerts, so I turned that off as well.

I have her Cellular Data turned on again and if it does the 19-after thing again it's off to the Apple store...

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hi all!

My wife's iPhone4 is using excessive data. It access the internet every hour at and uses anywhere from 1 to 30 KBs. It is doing this 24 hours a day, now at 19 minutes after the hour.

Since I know she is not using her phone at 1:19 am and 2:19 am, etc. it must be a setting. I turned off the usual stuff; mail push, roaming, location services, apps running in the background, etc. but no joy.

I also wasted time calling AT&T; of course the fellow in Mumbai was no help at all (he tried to sell me a bigger data plan!).

Any ideas on this..?
Make sure all apps are turned off for App Refresh in Settings. There may one app that is refreshing at that time. Some apps that refresh use a lot of battery. Facebook is one of them.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Further to Ledsteplin's post - you might try a 'slash and burn" and simply toggle off 'Background App Refresh' entirely, just to see if anything changes, then try turning it on, but toggling only the apps which you are comfortable with. Also go to Settings>iTunes & App Store and make sure all automatic downloads are disabled ( toggled off ) If all settles down, think of reinstating only what you figure you really need ......

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
The only app I let do background refresh is weather. I don't monitor my data usage that closely because I've always been well under my monthly cap though.

I recall reading a while back that both AT&T and Verizon had network issues that caused this phenomenon for some folks. IIRC, a software update from Apple and a tweak by the carriers sorted it out for almost everyone.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The only app I let do background refresh is weather. I don't monitor my data usage that closely because I've always been well under my monthly cap though.

I recall reading a while back that both AT&T and Verizon had network issues that caused this phenomenon for some folks. IIRC, a software update from Apple and a tweak by the carriers sorted it out for almost everyone.
I've tried the weather in refresh, but found no difference in my weather app's accuracy or timely posting of temps. I tested 2 weather apps.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
Yes, my weather apps ( I have a few ) ie the stock app + yahoo+ TWN ( Canadian) are not set to refresh, and yet they are up to date and time when opened ....