Daughter's 3GS messed up

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by VOLS34, Nov 3, 2011.

1. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Don't know what she did but it will not come on. When she came by all it does is show the Apple logo. I did a hard reset & it cut off. If you attempt to turn it on it shows that it's completely dead & to plug it up. If you plug it up it shows it charges then the Apple logo comes on & it's stuck there again.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Have you tried restoring this device through iTunes? Do you have the connect to iTunes logo on the screen?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can try pressing the home button and power button at the same time for about ten seconds, but I doubt that will work. iPhones that are stuck at the boot logo usually need to be restored. If iTunes does not recognize it, you'll need to put it in DFU mode first.

4. one_crazy_dude

one_crazy_dude Contributor
    Bronze

Is it jail broken on a tethered jailbreak? If so it will need to be started with redsn0w

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Just the Apple logo when you first boot the device & it's stuck there. It's not jailbroken. I have tried the hard boot (holding lock button & home button). I will have her brink her laptop by & try the dfu mode thing & restore. Also when it shuts off after I hold the lock button & home button it won't do anything. It shows the battery almost completely drained & has the little icon to plug it up to charger. After you plug it in that's when the Apple logo comes back after a couple minutes.

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This sounds like the power is completely depleated. This exact same thing used to happen to my husbands 3GS. The problem was that it was depleated of power. The battery is dying and cannot hold a full charge any longer or is faulty.

Try plugging it in and let it do it's thing. You may hear it cut on and off a few times but you will see the red bar in the battery when it finally comes back and it will come back when there is enough charge. You will also see the Apple logo. Don't panic, the phone will come back.

A hard reset will not help this. The battery is dead and or it's faulty. Just plug it in and wait a bit until its charged and then let it charge fully. Your daughter should monitor her battery because it sounds like it's dyring. So this doesn't happen again, she needs to get juice to the phone when it's probably at 50%.

This is just the symptom of a dying battery that can not hold enough charge any longer, or a faulty battery that needs to be replaced.

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's been on charge pretty much all day. We did the hard reset to shut it off but when you plug it up the Apple logo will appear like its gonna come on but it just freezes. She's gonna go to the Apple store tomorrow & see if they can help.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Not sure what she did but she got it to work & upgraded to iOS 5 in the process. Thing is she lost all her pics, contacts, messages, etc. Anyway she can restore from a previous backup or will her pics be on her pc somewhere? Pics are the main thing.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

She just needs to right click on the iPhone under devices in the left panel in iTunes and select restore from backup. This restores the settings, pictures, etc., not the firmware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Evidently it's too late for that because that didn't work. Like I said she somehow updated to iOS 5 & lost everything. Said she tried a restore with no luck.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It still should work even if she updated to 5.0. That's assuming she has a backup in iTunes. If she doesn't have a backup in iTunes, there is no other way to recover those pictures, unfortunately.

iOS 5 will back them up in the cloud so this won't be a problem in the future.

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You would think iTunes would be better designed to handle these types of situations. Something as simple as a photo & contact recovery folder couldn't be that hard.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The problem was that people forgot to backup and sync periodically. iCloud fixes that since it's automatic.

14. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Not sure exactly what happened. I know she did a sync & backup a couple weeks ago but with her recent dilemma who knows what happened. She somehow upgraded to iOS 5 & lost everything. If there was a way to go back & restore from the backup a couple weeks ago that would probably fix everything but of course that would be too easy & isn't an option.

15. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I thought iCloud only saves pics for a certain period of time. Anyway iCloud isn't that big of a perk for those without wifi & it shouldn't be hard for pics to store automatically in a folder on your pc during a sync & backup. If I sync once a year or once a month or whatever I should have more than 1 shot to access & restore previous data otherwise what's the point in a backup b

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I believe the pictures are stored for 30 days. That usually gives you enough time to get them synced onto the computer. The most recent backup is the one most people are concerned with. The old ones are generally pretty worthless if you have a recent one. If you don't have WiFi, you're going to want to continue with regular iTunes backups to your computer (you have the choice of iCloud or computer).

17. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

She did a sync & backup a couple weeks ago like I said earlier. When she connected today I assume it automatically did another sync & backup but somewhere along the line something got messed up. At the very least it would be nice to restore from a previous backup & save some data as opposed to none.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I completely agree with that, but I think this is fixable. I'm pretty sure she can get into the file system and find the most recent one and delete it. Then the next in line (the one from two weeks ago) will become the most recent one and it will show up when she clicks restore from backup.

19. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Any idea where to find the file?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    Windows 7 :\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup