Day old iPhone user confused on what to do...

ENTERT8NER

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Hi iEverything Cafe members! :laugh2:

I just bought my first iPhone less then 24 hours ago for $499. I don't know how to check the version but the side of the box says 16GB if that helps. Well now I'm reading on about the new 3G iPhone. I have 14 days to take this back and will only be out $50 bucks for a 10% re-stocking fee they said.
My question to all of you is;

Should I keep this brand new iPhone or get the new 3G when it comes out?

This phone kicks my BB Curve out of the park but the speaker truly sucks!

I'm really hoping the new version has a better speaker. What are your thoughts?

Thank guys & gals.

:cool:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The first thing you need to do is check to see if your area has 3G coverage. No need to have a 3G phone if your area doesn't have it. If you are near an Apple Store,I would see about the speaker. There have been issues with the speaker on some phones.
As far as getting the new phone goes, that is a hard question to answer. If the new phone doesn't have much more than 3G then I am going to pass. The problem you have is that we don't know what else is going to be included on the new phone. If we knew that the answer would be much easier. Keep in mind that a big update is comming for the phone to set it up for the App store on iTunes. This will allow you to put a lot of useful apps on the phone.
Having said all this, I don't have a good answer for you. Since you paid $500 for the phone, I would probably return it and roll the dice. Hopefully the new phone wouldn't be much more if any.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Personally this is BS that they sold you the phone if a new version is truly less than 2 weeks away...I would go ***** up a storm and if you put it on CC threaten them on a chargeback

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Or sell it on ebay, its pretty easy, Just make sure that the buyer is legit. Better than the restock fee.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i second what dturner said - if there is no 3G coverage where you are, there's no need for the 3G iPhone for you and your new 16GB will do you just fine. if there is 3G and fast data speeds are important to you, i'd suggest you return it. if you're adventurous, you can sell it on ebay, as hoits2000 suggested. if you unlock it before selling it, you would probably make a profit!

Personally this is BS that they sold you the phone if a new version is truly less than 2 weeks away...I would go ***** up a storm and if you put it on CC threaten them on a chargeback
so a businesss must miss out on profit and not sell current products because they have a new version of product coming out? how are businessses run where you live? please be specific on your location, including the solar system, location relative to our sun, and its current place in orbit. i'd like to know specifically where businessses voluntarily lose money so i don't buy any of their stock.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
so a businesss must miss out on profit and not sell current products because they have a new version of product coming out?
no, but most businessses that want to do well follow the idea that word of mouth is their most important form of advertisement. by at least giving a customer all the information that they need to make an educated decision, especially on a product of such high retail value, you are instilling a trust and a positive buying experience that the consumer will pass on to others. when people feel cheated, they are much more apt to vent their frustrations to others and give you negative advertisement.

there are at least 10 people i work with who will never buy a car where i just picked mine up due to just this. ive also never worked somewhere that didn't take on the attitude of taking care of customers, even when it was a fast food joint. im sorry that youve never had a buying experience where you truly felt like your best interest was being looked out for. hell, when i went to the att store to buy a Tilt (gave my wife the iPhone she wanted) the guys behind the counter told me i would hate it, and should wait out for the 3g iPhone or pick up the lg vue. i bought the tilt anyway (which i actually do prefer), but i would recommend that store in a heartbeat because they really wanted me to be happy (I was spending $400+ that day regardless).

I have lived in Savannah GA and am now stationed in Charleston SC, Earth, Milky Way galaxy, and relatively as far away from the sun as where you currently are. Based on your criteria, don't invest in ATT. They straight up told me not to buy the phone so I could get the 3g (which apparently is what you have issue with, from perspective of your portfolio).

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
no, but most businessses that want to do well follow the idea that word of mouth is their most important form of advertisement. by at least giving a customer all the information that they need to make an educated decision, especially on a product of such high retail value, you are instilling a trust and a positive buying experience that the consumer will pass on to others. when people feel cheated, they are much more apt to vent their frustrations to others and give you negative advertisement.
i agree - people are more likely to share news of their experiences with a manufacturer/company when it's been negative instead of positive. word of mouth can be important - the iPhone price decrease a few months after its release is a good example.

there are at least 10 people i work with who will never buy a car where i just picked mine up due to just this. ive also never worked somewhere that didn't take on the attitude of taking care of customers, even when it was a fast food joint. im sorry that youve never had a buying experience where you truly felt like your best interest was being looked out for. hell, when i went to the att store to buy a Tilt (gave my wife the iPhone she wanted) the guys behind the counter told me i would hate it, and should wait out for the 3g iPhone or pick up the lg vue. i bought the tilt anyway (which i actually do prefer), but i would recommend that store in a heartbeat because they really wanted me to be happy (I was spending $400+ that day regardless).
i don't trust businessses to look out for my best interests. I look out for my best interests. why would i trust an entity that i know is out to make money to help me do what's best for me? if i'm interested in buying something, i'll research it by reading as many unbiased reviews of it as i can. caveat emptor. if i make a poor decision, it's my fault, and i will not blame the company. i accept responsibility for my actions.

I have lived in Savannah GA and am now stationed in Charleston SC, Earth, Milky Way galaxy, and relatively as far away from the sun as where you currently are. Based on your criteria, don't invest in ATT. They straight up told me not to buy the phone so I could get the 3g (which apparently is what you have issue with, from perspective of your portfolio).
i've been with AT&T as my cell carrier since 1999 - i've had absolutely no problems with them. i don't have AT&T stock, but i'm sure they're represented somewhere in a mutual fund in which i invest, which is fine by me. though, now that i think of it, microsoft is probably there too. shoot. i'll need to look into that - must not support the evil empire! :p

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
i second what dturner said - if there is no 3G coverage where you are, there's no need for the 3G iPhone for you and your new 16GB will do you just fine. if there is 3G and fast data speeds are important to you, i'd suggest you return it. if you're adventurous, you can sell it on ebay, as hoits2000 suggested. if you unlock it before selling it, you would probably make a profit!

so a businesss must miss out on profit and not sell current products because they have a new version of product coming out? how are businessses run where you live? please be specific on your location, including the solar system, location relative to our sun, and its current place in orbit. i'd like to know specifically where businessses voluntarily lose money so i don't buy any of their stock.
I completely agree with this sentiment. You have to do your research, it isn't like Apple is selling you a defective product, infact you may want the old version over the new, just like some people prefer the 5g ipod over the classic.

The Apple store is not responsible, unless (and not really even in this case) you ask directly is a new one coming out soon and they say no. Which I doubt they would.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Just my .0235 cents worth here...I bought a refurb about 10days ago (350.00 16gb). AND YES I did know about the new phone.

I am glad I did...personally.

Why I did not wait...first I needed a phone...and second the older I get the more I HATE that I am being manouvered for the sake of HYPE....all that is stated about the new iP2 is that it has 3G. Being in ARKANSAS there is only three cities that have it. PLUS I was not sure that the plans would go up or not.

I just spent last Tuesdays at the polls and spent the day on my favorite forums and ebay and was totally satisfied with the performance...even in rural Arkansas.

I love the email and the browser...to me any way I am VERY happy with my decision. Just weigh WHY you are doing this...is just because of the HYPE or is there going to be a performance issue that may REALLY benefit you...for some reason I bet NO.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Well, heres the long and short of it. A new iPhone will be released in a few weeks. The main question is, what will the price of the 1st iPhone do? Will the new one be cheaper? I would say that a 500+ iPhone now is a bad investment. Especially with the price of the new one coming out. Apple usually increases the memory for the same price. While the new features are a bit hazy now who knows what the features might do to the iPhone 2's price. But I am sure the prices will go down for at least the recent models. All and all if you can get a 16GB iPhone now for 350, I think that that is a great deal, but 500+ no question, not a good move.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
return the phone the end is niegh. Look to the second coming of the iPhone

ENTERT8NER

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
return the phone the end is niegh. Look to the second coming of the iPhone
I think your right. Thanks all who have responded and I agree with most everything that was said. I should have done my homework but didn't and now I will be out the restocking fee. I guess it is a life lesson that I will learn. I'm not going to bother selling it on e-bay or anything like that... My 14 day trial period (if you want to call it that) is up on the 7th of June, supposedly the exact day the new one comes out. I think I'll just return this one, pay the fee, and walk out with the new one. We will see...

Thank again everyone. ;)

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008

Most businesss with a new version in 2 weeks do not sell a product and then charge a restocking fee..this crap CS...not a good businesss model(not talking months)

Problem is there are too many Apple sheep out there, that live and die by their products.....you fit the bill well

Apple is pure crap with this...turn it around and if it was you new to the iPhone and you buy and 2 weeks later a new version is out...I am sure you would be a happy camper

Remember last year..apple screwed a lot of people and only after some backlash did it give a $100 store credit, which was to there overpriced store

BTW, you cant get a straight answer from Apple so a consumer will be willfully mislead by THEM, THERE WILL BE NO ANSWER..I have no brand loyalty to company like this, they see all consumers as lucky to own their product...they need us to spend our money

I own an iPhone but till they make the phone part better,I will likely replace it with something else, it is not the greatest phone and features are lacking for a smartphone, IMHO....

ENTERT8NER

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I own an iPhone but till they make the phone part better,I will likely replace it with something else, it is not the greatest phone and features are lacking for a smartphone, IMHO....
You know I think I'm starting to get that as well. I owned a blackberry Curve and it truly was a better phone that this one. But what do I do, the other features are incredible! Unlike any other phone I've used. The only down side is the lack of volume and reception on the phone. My biggest complaints!

:confused:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Most businesss with a new version in 2 weeks do not sell a product and then charge a restocking fee..this crap CS...not a good businesss model(not talking months)
really? please give examples. i've purchased computers from gateway and hewlett-packard, and phones from nokia, sony ericsson, and blackberry, and PDA's and other gadgets from other manufacturers in the past, and i've never recalled any of them holding off on selling a product because they have a new one in the pipeline set to be released soon.

Problem is there are too many Apple sheep out there, that live and die by their products.....you fit the bill well
name-calling when you don't even know me and my history with Apple products? it's so nice that you resort to that when a stranger disagrees with you on a forum dedicated to a product sold by a company that you apparently hate. really.

Apple is pure crap with this...turn it around and if it was you new to the iPhone and you buy and 2 weeks later a new version is out...I am sure you would be a happy camper
no, i probably wouldn't be happy, but i research major purchases before making them and with all the rumors on the internet about the next version of the iPhone coming soon, i would not make that mistake.

Remember last year..apple screwed a lot of people and only after some backlash did it give a $100 store credit, which was to there overpriced store
yes, i remember that. i was one who got (and used) my store credit. since you're convinced that Apple constantly does this with their prices, why don't you give us a few more examples of this. i only recall a handful in the past 5 years or so - do enlighten us.

BTW, you cant get a straight answer from Apple so a consumer will be willfully mislead by THEM, THERE WILL BE NO ANSWER..I have no brand loyalty to company like this, they see all consumers as lucky to own their product...they need us to spend our money
Apple's secrecy is quite well-known. i'm happy they do this - the anticipation and excitement for their new products when they are announced undoubtedly has an impact on their sales, with a positive impact on their stock price. do you not have a choice about what you buy? does your money fly out of your wallet against your will when you walk by an Apple store? news flash: no one is making you buy Apple products, so don't buy them if you don't want them.

you're right - i've had smartphones with more features than the iPhone, but i can live without those for the moment and am looking forward to what 3rd part apps might bring with the next firmware release. it's good that you've made one decision to part with the iPhone if it doesn't suit your needs.