Daylight Savings OS Error affects iTunes/iPhone

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just had the most annoying day ever thanks to a little bug in my windows XP which does not observe the changes made to Daylight Savings, which has been extended to the first Sunday of November.

Starting in 2007, daylight time begins in the United States on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. On the second Sunday in March, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the first Sunday in November, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time. These dates were established by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Pub. L. no. 109-58, 119 Stat 594 (2005).
What this means is your iPhone will automatically advance it's clock one hour ahead of your desktop whenever you sync. The iPhone is not aware of the change, and advances the clock unless you have your desktop set not to observe daylight savings, like Arizona.

The Apple rep tried this on a Vista box and a box running Tiger. I'm not sure if he experienced the problem on Tiger, he couldn't get iTunes up, but he verified it on Vista. I'm on XP.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I just had the most annoying day ever thanks to a little bug in my windows XP which does not observe the changes made to Daylight Savings, which has been extended to the first Sunday of November. This was brought to my attention after I phoned Apple and was on hold for 10 minutes after refusing to Restore my iPhone as the "fix."

Starting in 2007, daylight time begins in the United States on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. On the second Sunday in March, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the first Sunday in November, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time. These dates were established by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Pub. L. no. 109-58, 119 Stat 594 (2005).
What this means is your iPhone will automatically advance it's clock one hour ahead of your desktop whenever you sync. The iPhone is not aware of the change, and advances the clock unless you have your desktop set not to observe daylight savings, like Arizona. Even having your phone set to "automatically set time" won't change things, you'll still get the advanced clock upon docking with iTunes open, or syncing.

The Apple rep tried this on a Vista box and a box running Tiger. I'm not sure if he experienced the problem on Tiger, he couldn't get iTunes up, but he verified it on Vista. I'm on XP.

This problem should resolve itself on November 4th, but until then an easy fix is to set your Time Zone to Arizona.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I just had the most annoying day ever thanks to a little bug in my windows XP which does not observe the changes made to Daylight Savings, which has been extended to the first Sunday of November.

What this means is your iPhone will automatically advance it's clock one hour ahead of your desktop whenever you sync. The iPhone is not aware of the change, and advances the clock unless you have your desktop set not to observe daylight savings, like Arizona.

Ahhh, glad you solved this. An email went out at work about this very bug, but since I use OS X, I disregarded. Sorry dude, but at least it's only a week.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Besides the glorious fall and winter weather, this is why I live in Arizona. No need to "spring forward" or "fall backward". However, my job involves communicating with people in all parts of the country and I have to be mentally aware of the new time zone differences.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
thanks for the heads-up. I haven't synced in a while, myself, but i disabled the auto-adjust in my Xp machine just in case i need to.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Besides the glorious fall and winter weather, this is why I live in Arizona. No need to "spring forward" or "fall backward". However, my job involves communicating with people in all parts of the country and I have to be mentally aware of the new time zone differences.
wait, you seriously live in Arizona so you don't have to deal with daylight savings?

mmmmmkay.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I wondered my iPhone jumped ahead like that. A soft reset solved the problem.

As a side note, I want your life if your most annoying day ever consists of an incorrect clock.:p

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I just had the most annoying day ever thanks to a little bug in my windows XP which does not observe the changes made to Daylight Savings, which has been extended to the first Sunday of November. This was brought to my attention after I phoned Apple and was on hold for 10 minutes after refusing to Restore my iPhone as the "fix."

What this means is your iPhone will automatically advance it's clock one hour ahead of your desktop whenever you sync. The iPhone is not aware of the change, and advances the clock unless you have your desktop set not to observe daylight savings, like Arizona. Even having your phone set to "automatically set time" won't change things, you'll still get the advanced clock upon docking with iTunes open, or syncing.

This problem should resolve itself on November 4th, but until then an easy fix is to set your Time Zone to Arizona.
I thought I saw this post already...Deja vu? :confused:...:)...:p

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I wondered my iPhone jumped ahead like that. A soft reset solved the problem.

As a side note, I want your life if your most annoying day ever consists of an incorrect clock.:p
Hahahaha, its been a long day in the office. Working on a new product launch and hitting missed deadlines... So yeah the Clock is actually very important to me, my life revolves around deadlines. :(

Thanks for the pick-me-up, I had a good chuckle at your post :p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
and I thought that the time was set by AT&T...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
When did you last use Windows Update? That DST update came down months ago...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
When did you last use Windows Update? That DST update came down months ago...
I'm on a Tablet PC by Samsung, Q1 to be exact.

I didn't catch that fix in my last Windows update which was about a week ago. I had it download everything...

Go figure.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
and I thought that the time was set by AT&T...
Thank you....local time is updated on the iPhone by AT&T servers. If you sync and you iPhone time does magically change...just restart you phone and you'll be up to sync with the rest of the AT&T network or what ever network you are with.......