Dead iPhone screen - fixed

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I let my battery fully discharge yesterday. By the end of the day, I had a battery icon on the screen with a message saying that I needed to recharge. So, I connected it to the wall charger. It reported that it was charging and I walked away. I took a look at it before going to sleep and the screen was black. I tried to turn it on - nothing. So, I plugged it into the USB port on my PC. Still nothing on the iPhone screen but iTunes recognized the iPhone. I let it go through the sync process and then plugged it back into the wall charger for the night. This morning, however, I had the same problem - black screen no matter what I did. The PC/iTunes did recognize and sync.

I called iPhone support (800-MY-iphone). They had my try the things I had already tried (push & hold power, push & hold the home button, etc). No luck. So, they had me do a Restore via iTunes. It downloaded a 90+MB file and then started the restore process. As soon as the software "update" (it's still version 1.0) started, the iPhone screen came back to life. It restored v1.0 of the software and then resynced all of my data (music, movies, etc.) AND settings (including e-mail accounts). The only thing it didn't restore were my passwords for wi-fi and my work e-mail (it did restore my Yahoo e-mail password, though).

Anyway, I'm just posting this in case others run across this issue. I have no idea if it was caused by me fully draining the battery. The Apple tech said that she had seen this issue before. But I tried doing an internet search before calling and I couldn't find anything. Hope this helps someone down the line with the same problem (or at least saves them a little bit of time).

GujuGeek

Jun 18, 2007
I just had the exact same thing happen to me! Are we not suppose to let the battery drain and then go to the wall charger? Anyway, I'm downloading the software now...I hope everything works out *fingers crossed*.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
I just had the exact same thing happen to me! Are we not suppose to let the battery drain and then go to the wall charger? Anyway, I'm downloading the software now...I hope everything works out *fingers crossed*.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!
I had something similar happen to me last night as well. After getting the message that I needed to charge my iPhone, I put in the dock and left it for 5 or so hours. At which time iTunes did a sync. After 5 or so hours I came back and my iPhone wouldn't turn on. However, I just held down the home button and the power button and it came back to life.