Dead iPhone

plainjs

Mar 17, 2008
Is it possible to retrieve photographs stored on iPhone in the event of death by drowning?

I'm still drying my phone out and will replace it if it does not come back to life, however I can't replace the pictures.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to possibilities for retrieval?
How/where is the data stored? SIMM card? Would water damage definitively destroy the data or is there hope of saving my vacation pictures?

Thanks in advance,

..john

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I would store it in rice for a few days. The pictures won't be stored on the sim card and I doubt if there's any way to get to them if the unit won't power up.

jtesnani

Dec 11, 2007
if your phone can't turn on, you can't retrieve the data. everything's stored on the phone's memory and has nothing to do with your sim card. unless you can turn it on, you're out of luck...

is your phone jailbroken? if so, hopefully ssh is installed and turned on, and by change your phone comes back to life, you can retrieve it from there, depending on your firmware:

1.1.2 or below: private/var/root/Media/DCIM
1.1.3 or above: private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Even if your phone isn't jailbroken you can still retrieve them once the phone powers on. On a PC you just connect it with the usb cable and in "My Computer" on your desktop you will see a listing below your drives that says "Apple iPhone". Double Click that and your pictures from your camera roll are right there. Then just copy them off.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Once again, if the phone won't power on you're pretty much out of luck. Sorry.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, solid-state storage is nearly impossible to recover data from if it's damaged.

redundancy is the only way to keep data safe.