Dead Pixel Return

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
I have a like two dead pixels on my screen. I purchased my iPhone on iDay, June 29 at an Apple Store. I was wondering what you guys thought about exchanging the iPhone at an Apple Store. Has anyone else exchanged their iPhones for dead pixels after the 14 day return policy (I know it wouldn't be a return, but a exchange). Also, I have had times when I press a button on the screen and it only darkens but does not do anything and when answering a call when the phone is asleep sliding the green slide bar doesn't allow me answer the phone. Would these factors help to get an exchange?

Edit: I know the title should say exchange, not return

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Power cycling the phone may help with the other problems, but I dunno what Apple's policy on dead pixel are. When dealing with LCD monitors they seem to differ by company. Some companys say 3 dead pixels, others say a lot more before exchanging. But if the power cycle doesn't help with the other problems I would deffinately take it back... You really should have done it earlier unless this is something it started to do recently. But in all, its really up to what you want to do.

Good luck either way!

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
Yeah, thanks. That's exactly what Apple support said over the phone. The dude said do the power cycling and to reset it, etc. (Things I did). They said to take it into the store.

My question is, do you think it's likely that I will be able to get it exchanged. I wasn't able to take it to the store earlier because I haven't been near an Apple Store. (I know, I could have gotten them to mail out a box, etc. but when I get it taken care of I prefer to go into the store). I have a genius (yeah right) bar appointment tomorrow morning.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Me personally Id rather take it to the store so you don't have to wait for the phone to come back if you were to mail it in. Best case scenario the " Genius " will say.. " Yupp it's frelled.. lemme get you another one " so deffinately worth a try.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I had the same problem. I took it to the Genius Bar and he told me that I have gone past the 14 day period and I can only ask for a loaner phone until this thing is fixed. So, I said yes and he gave me the loaner phone while he shipped my phone for repair. Within 2 days I got back the box and when I opened it there was a new/refurbished phone inside it. I don't know whether it is a new or a refurbished phone and I guess you will never know it. It says in the box that this phone may be new or refurbished. Thinking that its new I am happy that I atleast got back another phone :).

I think its better you take it to the Apple store and get it checked with the Genius and later proceed further. Without him having a look at your phone there is nothing you can do. My guess is you will probably get a new/refurbished one.

Hope this helps.

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
So i went to the Apple store this morning and they sent it out. I was also able to just use my old AT&T phone with my iPhone SIM card without renting an iPhone loaner.

The genius said a little dent in the upper left hand corner near the ringer/silencer and a few scratches on the back might make Apple a little less likely to send me a replacement, but I think that shouldn't be an issue, it's just from normal use and I do use a case most of the time.

We shall see in a couple days, I hope.
:laugh2:

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
The dead pixel problem has become a major issue for Apple I guess and they should send you a replacement phone even though you have scratches and other small dings. If I were to be anytime Apple's engineer, I would have replaced the phone because of the fact that the dead pixel is a major one than the scratches. Let us know what happens.

Good luck

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
can someone explain to me how exactly "dead pixels" would appear and is there a way to check if there was? iam sorry iam technology illiterate lol

lilnef

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
can someone explain to me how exactly "dead pixels" would appear and is there a way to check if there was? iam sorry iam technology illiterate lol
if u on a black screen you will see a white dot very small. i found two when i turned my phone on and all you see is the Apple logo look around for white dots.

now if u want to see the "geniuses" do you need an appointment?

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
if u on a black screen you will see a white dot very small. i found two when i turned my phone on and all you see is the Apple logo look around for white dots.

Oh wow..I have a few white dots :( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW

Yes you need one.

You can book an appointment through this link http://www.apple.com/retail/

All you have to do is select your state and store, which will then take you to a webpage with that pertinent store information. Click on the Genius Bar Reserve link on your right and follow the instructions. You can only book two days in advance.

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore

I know, I took a black .jpg file I made in Photoshop in put it in the photos.

Yeah, to see a genius you can go to Apple's website and find your local Apple retail store and sign up for an appointment. pretty easy. today I went right in and they called my name.

If you got your phone from an Apple store I would definitely recommend heading in and seeing what they can do for you.

Still no repair status update for me yet...

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
Update: My iPhone has been shipped back to me and should arrive by tomorrow afternoon.

heres a pic:

I'm not sure if it is a new/refurbished iPhone or if the screen was replaced, but I'm pretty sure it will be a new/refurbished iPhone. I will see by tomorrow!

jperschb

Aug 23, 2007
3 weeks after buying my iPhone (4 weeks ago) I noticed a deal pixel near the center of the display. I took it to an Apple store and they agreed it was a hardware problem and sent it off for repair free of charge (I had it longer than the 14 day return period).
I got a refurbished phone from Apple (as a replacement) yesterday and its got major problems, worse than the phone with the dead pixel. The display is really dark when watching videos and the battery life is very bad.

This evening I took the refurb iPhone to another Apple store (Lenox Square, Atlanta, GA) where the "genius" kept telling me my phone was compeltely fine. Noticing I wasn't getting anywhere with the "genius" I asked for the store manager. The manager told me that if I'm not satisifed with the phone that my only option is to bring it back with the box and accessories and return the phone. All in all, really terrible customer service.

Tomorrow I have a genius bar appt at a different Apple store, and will bring everything along. I'm fully prepared to return the iPhone and get something else if they can't / won't get me a phone that I'm satisfied with.

It's a shame because I really do like the iPhone... but the level of product quality and customer service I've experienced so far is really bad.

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
3 weeks after buying my iPhone (4 weeks ago) I noticed a deal pixel near the center of the display. I took it to an Apple store and they agreed it was a hardware problem and sent it off for repair free of charge (I had it longer than the 14 day return period).
I got a refurbished phone from Apple (as a replacement) yesterday and its got major problems, worse than the phone with the dead pixel. The display is really dark when watching videos and the battery life is very bad.

This evening I took the refurb iPhone to another Apple store (Lenox Square, Atlanta, GA) where the "genius" kept telling me my phone was compeltely fine. Noticing I wasn't getting anywhere with the "genius" I asked for the store manager. The manager told me that if I'm not satisifed with the phone that my only option is to bring it back with the box and accessories and return the phone. All in all, really terrible customer service.

Tomorrow I have a genius bar appt at a different Apple store, and will bring everything along. I'm fully prepared to return the iPhone and get something else if they can't / won't get me a phone that I'm satisfied with.

It's a shame because I really do like the iPhone... but the level of product quality and customer service I've experienced so far is really bad.

Where are you located? I hope I have a better experience. Sounds really atypical of Apple. :(

jperschb

Aug 23, 2007
Where are you located? I hope I have a better experience. Sounds really atypical of Apple. :(
Located in Atlanta, Ga. - Lenox Square Mall location.
While I was waiting for my appt there were three other people in line with me, all with broken iPhones. One lady had been there a few times before and warned me about the bad service at that particular store.
Hopefully, tomrrow I'll have better luck at another store, cuase I really do just want a good phone. Now I almost wish I''d have kept the first phone with the dead pixel.

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
Located in Atlanta, Ga. - Lenox Square Mall location.
While I was waiting for my appt there were three other people in line with me, all with broken iPhones. One lady had been there a few times before and warned me about the bad service at that particular store.
Hopefully, tomrrow I'll have better luck at another store, cuase I really do just want a good phone. Now I almost wish I''d have kept the first phone with the dead pixel.
If you have to, call support and demand to speak to a supervisor if nothing is taken care of. Keep fighting until you get the results you need for the $500-600+ you paid for the phone.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
can someone please show me a pic or something of a deadpixel on an iPhone... I don't wanna go to Apple store if Iam just paranoid. During battery charging screen I see microtiny white spots..not noticeable from normal distance, but when I go
look closely I can see multiple white spots. If I can get confirmation that these are dead pixels I really wanna go get it fixed. I want a perfect iPhone. :(

jthhtj

Aug 17, 2007
Baltimore
can someone please show me a pic or something of a deadpixel on an iPhone... I don't wanna go to Apple store if Iam just paranoid. During battery charging screen I see microtiny white spots..not noticeable from normal distance, but when I go
look closely I can see multiple white spots. If I can get confirmation that these are dead pixels I really wanna go get it fixed. I want a perfect iPhone. :(
Well good luck with the perfect iPhone. lol.

It is really hard and near impossible to get a picture of a dead pixel because of the size. They're so tiny my camera couldn't take a pic. You should be able to notice the dead pixel while on darker screens, like weather, videos, album art, etc. It is always there and mine were white.